Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
2nd GEAR JERK

Ok today marks 7 days of having my 1LS/M6...I feel im a damm good manual driver. Been driving since I was 16 had to learn how to drive in a Manual 5 Speed we lived in Marylnd in one of those row homes (NO DRIVE WAY) which required parallel parking daily

I have owned a few Manuals in my day all 5 Speeds, my last 2 cars about 5 years have been automatics...Yet with my Camaro, I find my self Conking Out atleast once a day, just figured its going to take me some time to get used to the clutch...but 7 days come on already

Also if I hit 2nd med hard to hard that 2nd gear jerk is annoying...Should my 2nd MOD be the Below or give it more time to get used to

1st Manual - (MOMS) Brand New VW Jetta 5 Speed
2nd - 91 Honda Accord 5 Speed
3rd - 93 Ford Probe
4th - 91 Dodge Daytona

All of these were 5 Speed 4Cyl, is there something im doing wrong, now that I have a 6 Speed V6?

Never Grind threw the gears, Always shift when I get to about 3000 RPM

Just came in from lunch and CONCKED OUT leaving the bank Parking lot, WHAT GIVES
Attached Images

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
kuvo

Drives: Chuggaboom
You'll get used to it eventually, dont worry. I've driven manuals all my life, recently driving an auto was a blessing, i could get my hands all over my GF even tho' we were in the city not on highway. I'd rather feel her than the shift stick.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
It's not just you, at least on the second gear shift anyway. I've been driving for 16 years now, and every vehicle I ever had was a manual. I've had my LS for two years now, and unless I'm really focusing on it, making that first to second shift without even a little bit of a jerk is still very difficult. In two years though, I've only "conked out", as you put it, twice. Once in the dealer's lot on the initial test drive, and once at a stop sign in a parking lot where I didn't realize there was a speed bump in front of me and I needed to give more than minimal throttle to take off and get over it.

So the conking out is just you, but I imagine you'll get the hang of it soon and that will no longer be an issue for you. That second gear jerk is always there and a little annoying until you just get used to it. Second-onward is always smooth shifts for me, but I have to really be thinking about it to get that first>second shift just right.

I had 5 speed manual, 4 cylinder engine cars before this too. They were a 1985 Toyota Camry and a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The vehicle I got between those two cars is a 1991 Chevy K1500 Silverado that I still have as a winter vehicle. It is a V6 with a 5 speed manual, and I think a lot of my Camaro first to second shifts continue to not be smooth because I still drive both it and the pickup regularly. The Pickup has different RPM points to best shift at, and the clutch/throttle balance is a bit different, so when I drive one for a few days and then go to the other, I almost always spend one day just getting used to one over the other again.

Give it a few more weeks and see if it doesn't smooth out for you some. Try running first up to about 2800 RPMs and clutching there, go to second, and start to give it some throttle right before you ease back off the clutch and see if that doesn't help a little with it. I've found doing that smooths things out just a bit and I don't get as much "jerk" doing it that way. Good luck my friend.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
It's not just you, at least on the second gear shift anyway. I've been driving for 16 years now, and every vehicle I ever had was a manual. I've had my LS for two years now, and unless I'm really focusing on it, making that first to second shift without even a little bit of a jerk is still very difficult. In two years though, I've only "conked out", as you put it, twice. Once in the dealer's lot on the initial test drive, and once at a stop sign in a parking lot where I didn't realize there was a speed bump in front of me and I needed to give more than minimal throttle to take off and get over it.

So the conking out is just you, but I imagine you'll get the hang of it soon and that will no longer be an issue for you. That second gear jerk is always there and a little annoying until you just get used to it. Second-onward is always smooth shifts for me, but I have to really be thinking about it to get that first>second shift just right.

I had 5 speed manual, 4 cylinder engine cars before this too. They were a 1985 Toyota Camry and a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The vehicle I got between those two cars is a 1991 Chevy K1500 Silverado that I still have as a winter vehicle. It is a V6 with a 5 speed manual, and I think a lot of my Camaro first to second shifts continue to not be smooth because I still drive both it and the pickup regularly. The Pickup has different RPM points to best shift at, and the clutch/throttle balance is a bit different, so when I drive one for a few days and then go to the other, I almost always spend one day just getting used to one over the other again.

Give it a few more weeks and see if it doesn't smooth out for you some. Try running first up to about 2800 RPMs and clutching there, go to second, and start to give it some throttle right before you ease back off the clutch and see if that doesn't help a little with it. I've found doing that smooths things out just a bit and I don't get as much "jerk" doing it that way. Good luck my friend.

Like you said If I think about it I can make 1st to 2nd smooth or if i give it a lil gas before letting the clutch all they way out which moms GRAINED in my head the sound of a reving engine during switching gears is a BIG NO NO

any guys on here with the Hurst throw care to comment....

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Gungrir

Drives: 2012 1SS coupe
Shift from first to second gear at about 2.5k RPMs. By the time you are ready to release clutch for second gear, your RPMs should be around 1.5k and give you that smooth shift. Well that's helped me. My girlfriend didn't like riding along but I got the hang of it.
Gungrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
aron77

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I've driven sticks all my life too and this car took some getting used to. My last car was an automatic so I was a little rusty too but this car was not easy to take to. I don't have problems with 2nd but my problem has always been with the take off. I think I've realized it is due to the dead spot in these cars on the low end cuz the throttle response is not good right off the bat. I've only killed it a couple of times since I've had it but when doing a normal take off it is like I'm sitting there waiting for it to go for a second and even when I want to take off fast it takes it second to kick in. Once I get to second I'm pretty happy with the pull but overall I don't think I have ever been able to drive this car so seemlessly where my shifting feels like an automatic, which I think is what you are talking about.
aron77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
I've driven a number of different manuals over my 40 years of driving. My 2LT manual is a definite challenge from 1st to 2nd, even after a year of driving.

The main thing is 1st gear (around 4.5 to 1) is so low; it's what makes burn outs great though. So you always want to get out of 1st as fast as possible. When waiting to rev up through the gears, you'll need to give it more gas quicker when coming out of the clutch from 1st.

Wait till it gets warm and you run the A/C. You'll really notice the rpms coming down quicker between the gears.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvo View Post
You'll get used to it eventually, dont worry. I've driven manuals all my life, recently driving an auto was a blessing, i could get my hands all over my GF even tho' we were in the city not on highway. I'd rather feel her than the shift stick.
The joys of having an auto
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
had mine a little over a month now and still haven't got the 1st to 2nd down smooth either.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
I've driven a number of different manuals over my 40 years of driving. My 2LT manual is a definite challenge from 1st to 2nd, even after a year of driving.

The main thing is 1st gear (around 4.5 to 1) is so low; it's what makes burn outs great though. So you always want to get out of 1st as fast as possible. When waiting to rev up through the gears, you'll need to give it more gas quicker when coming out of the clutch from 1st.

Wait till it gets warm and you run the A/C. You'll really notice the rpms coming down quicker between the gears.
Yea, when I eat the ricers for dinner on the green its great but for the regualr takes off which is 99% of the time, its like BUCK BUCK to 2nd 3-6th is smooth sailing

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

You guys think the Hurst short throw will alleviate it

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
Old 04-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izach26 View Post
You guys think the Hurst short throw will alleviate it
Dont you have that already? (its in the pic)
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Fairly often I'll do a 1-3 then a 3-5 shift, at least when I don't feel like hammering it. Pretty sure it helps the gas mileage too...
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Dont you have that already? (its in the pic)
No thats not mine just a pic of a Hurst short throw shifter

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold