Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
Leviathan21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
2nd Gear Grind (Hurst Shifter)

My 2010 Camaro 2SS has the second gear grind when at or above 3k RPM. I noticed it a little with my original shifter, but assumed it was somehow me. When I installed the hurst shifter it was far more noticeable.

I can actually get the 2nd gear to grind with the clutch all the way to the floor if I shift fast enough at about 3-4k+ rpm.

My Question is this. If i take my car to the dealership that sold it to me, should I re-install my original shifter?

Will the dealership try and blame the transmission problem on the hurst shifter?

I can't see how it's the hurst shifters fault, it only replaces the center stick, and nothing else.

~ Would they void my warranty if I took the car in with my hurst shifter installed? (only mod on the car)

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Leviathan21; 04-04-2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Leviathan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan21 View Post
My 2010 Camaro 2SS has the second gear grind when at or above 3k RPM. I noticed it a little with my original shifter, but assumed it was somehow me. When I installed the hurst shifter it was far more noticeable.

I can actually get the 2nd gear to grind with the clutch all the way to the floor if I shift fast enough at about 3-4k+ rpm.

My Question is this. If i take my car to the dealership that sold it to me, should I re-install my original shifter?

Will the dealership try and blame the transmission problem on the hurst shifter?

I can't see how it's the hurst shifters fault, it only replaces the center stick, and nothing else.

~ Would they void my warranty if I took the car in with my hurst shifter installed? (only mod on the car)

Thanks for the help guys.
No.

The only way they you can void your whole warranty is by getting a tune. They can't deny you warranty work because of the shifter. The only way they can deny you warranty work is if the shifter is the cause of the problem.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
2 gear grind do search lot of nameplates on this.
Some say change trany oil to red line full synthetic
Is it better when trans is hot?
JL Audio XD400/4 amp
Pfadt trailing arms & tie rods sway bars.
pedders street 1 package. ,Hurst short throw shifter
With bronze bushings .

Last edited by skar; 04-05-2012 at 10:55 AM.
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Leviathan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skar View Post
2 gear grind do search lot of nameplates on this.
Some say change trany oil to red line full synthetic
Is it better when trans is hot?
I have done a search already on this. I'm just curious if I should put my original shifter back on before I take it in...

The problem I have is not just when the car is cold. I can drive the car for hours and it will still grind 2nd if I shift fast enough.

I don't abuse cars. When I was 18 I had a 1995 Manual Thunderbird SC that I modded out. It had well over 350 HP to the wheels. I blew out the head gaskets one day because I got on the car far too hard when it was cold. I learned my lesson from that, and I've never been hard on any of my cars since.

It does get slightly better when the transmission is hot, but really not by much.

It feels like a syncro problem. Second gear is very notchy compared to all other gears. Every other gear makes a nice click noise as I shift into it, however second gear is always a clunk, clunk. Or if I shift fast a grind then clunk, clunk.. lol

I've had my father and my two brothers drive the car, and they have all got it to grind the second gear.

I guess I will take it in, just really considering putting it back to stock to not allow the dealer any excuses.
Leviathan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
I have done a search already on this. I'm just curious if I should put my original shifter back on before I take it in...

The problem I have is not just when the car is cold. I can drive the car for hours and it will still grind 2nd if I shift fast enough.

I don't abuse cars. When I was 18 I had a 1995 Manual Thunderbird SC that I modded out. It had well over 350 HP to the wheels. I blew out the head gaskets one day because I got on the car far too hard when it was cold. I learned my lesson from that, and I've never been hard on any of my cars since.

It does get slightly better when the transmission is hot, but really not by much.

It feels like a syncro problem. Second gear is very notchy compared to all other gears. Every other gear makes a nice click noise as I shift into it, however second gear is always a clunk, clunk. Or if I shift fast a grind then clunk, clunk.. lol

I've had my father and my two brothers drive the car, and they have all got it to grind the second gear.

I guess I will take it in, just really considering putting it back to stock to not allow the dealer any excuses.

Welcome to the second gear grind team
All of us grinders feel your pain. :(
Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
The key phrase I'm seeing here is "if I shift fast enough"

Dealer will say aftermarket shifter is the reason it's grinding... give you the run around and replace the parts if you're lucky and you will still have the same problem. Look into IDEALG's thread about modifiying the Clutch Master Cylinder to move more fluid to help this 2nd gear grind. It's worked for his car and he's attempting to test it on other 5th Gens.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212552
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Waterboy2b98
Waterboy2B98

Drives: 11 2SS M6.
I bought my car used. Brought it in to local dealer and they searched for two hours trying to figure out if my hurst shifter was factory installed or not. They did say if it was not factory installed, they would not even look at it. But they found out it was factory installed so they looked it it, but still would not fix it.
Waterboy2b98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
I would put it back to stock if not too hard. Warrany its hard enough already.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
has there been a solution to this issue, I have it and want it to get better with no grinding
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Put the stock shifter back in if you take it to the dealer. You don't need them jerking you around. Mine isn't to bad but it does do it and I have almost 30,000 miles and hasn't gotten better or worse. No fix that I have seen, some say syncros are the problem.
Gen5Diy.com.....http://www.gen5diy.com/
Wretched Motorsports..www.wretchedms.com/
Pedders USA
...http://www.peddersusa.com/
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
bkscott

I had the same issue. When I redid my brakes and bled the system with fresh fluid my grind went away.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
clayton006

Drives: 2011 2SS Black M6
After all my previous 2nd gear grind issues GM finally replaced the entire transmission. For me, that has fixed the issue. I know that hasn't fixed it for all.
clayton006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
Absolutely, definitely put the stock shifter back in.

This is what I tryed:

Round and round with dealer (almost arrested LOL) -> done
Tryed Mobil1 Fully Synthetic ATF -> done
Tryed Royal Purple Synchromax -> done
Tryed Redline D4 ATF (the best results) -> done
$2000 trans upgrade/rebuild including carbon blocking rings @ 2000 mi. -> done
Separate clutch reservoir -> done
ZL1 clutch pedal return spring (same as Lingenfelter spring) -> done
IDEALG modified clutch cylinder (best results of all) -> done

Still grinds occasionally, if I forget to fully depress the clutch to the floor.

Good luck.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Mine started grinding when I installed the Barton short throw shifter.