Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Keep ZL1 Brake Set-Up, or Upgrade to Z/28?
Keep the ZL1 Brakes! 36 90.00%
Buy the Z/28 Brakes! 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #29
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I bet $1 he will do the mod anyhow
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #30
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
$4K for brakes on a V6 ? Wow
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #31
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I'd pass solely on the basis of replacement costs alone. If you came across some Z28 DSSV or 1LE struts/shocks + sways, that's something I'd likely steer funds into. The Brakes would look interesting but...

Could also put the money towards a supercharger. I used to chuckle popping the hood on my '10 2LT at a cruise, and when people would see the snail on it, I'd watch most of them go "wtf?"

Could also put the $ aside and save for T-tops if you want to really go with appearance.

End of the day, she's yours, it's your $$, and nothing any of us say should really matter. Do whatcha want.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #32
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
OP, buy the set of brakes at your bargain price, them sell them on here for a slight markup to someone who could "use" them. Take that extra $$ and do more aesthetic upgrades to your ride. you will prolly feel better at the end of the day!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #33
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
I'd pass solely on the basis of replacement costs alone. If you came across some Z28 DSSV or 1LE struts/shocks + sways, that's something I'd likely steer funds into. The Brakes would look interesting but...

Could also put the money towards a supercharger. I used to chuckle popping the hood on my '10 2LT at a cruise, and when people would see the snail on it, I'd watch most of them go "wtf?"

Could also put the $ aside and save for T-tops if you want to really go with appearance.

End of the day, she's yours, it's your $$, and nothing any of us say should really matter. Do whatcha want.
It seems he is mostly fixated on visual mods, rather than the actual function. I would agree that carbon rotors look freakin' amazing, but at what cost?

If I had $4k to blow, I can guarantee you I would be putting it towards RWHP and suspension.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #34
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Well I do track mine and when I had the 4pot brembos on my last v6 (2012) it still wasn't enough. the car is heavy. I can t imagine what the 6piston brembos and the carbon based rotors would be like. small track like Grandsport Speedway down here in texas, Hitchcock to be exact tore up my 4 pots. I had 4 pot brembos on my 2016 that I tracked at Texas world speedway and MSR and they were wonderful for the lighter vehicle. I think the single piston for the V6 are woefully inadequate. So if you wanna sell I'll take'em! I could use them. I am building another 2012 v6 track car. I have vids on you tube under 12blkgray RS for track days.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #35
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
I still think he is missing the point that they really arnt $2k. He paid $xx amount for,the zl1 brakes. Let's say he breaks even when selling them and he originally paid $1k. He is still paying $3k for the cc brakes. Likely he is going to take a loss on the zl1 kit and that will further increase his actual cost. But hey, not my money. I've upgraded my SS rotors and pads and it stops like I need it to
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #36
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
You already have your mind made up. The majority of people have told you not to waste your money on track-focused, carbon ceramic brakes for your V6 DD; however, you still state that you like the way they look. Buy them, enjoy them. To me, it's like flushing money down the toilet...but it's not my money.
I don't already have my mind made up, hence the poll. Flushing money down the toilet is entirely subjective (for example, why would I spend $8k more on a similarly equipped V8 when going as fast as possible isn't important to me?), and while that wasn't the question posed in the poll, I appreciate your rationalization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
I can find more good deals than I can find money.

Carbon brakes on your car is silly, frivolous, expensive, etc.. But you should do it if it really means a lot to you. Frankly, my choice would be to put the money toward a V8 car, pull the big brakes you have and put them on the V8 car. I love these "spending other people's money" threads! If you have $3-4K burning a hole in your pocket, sell that Barbie car and get a SS or ZL1.
Engine size isn't important to me, as I recognize that I'm neither made nor emasculated by its size. If it were important to me at this point in my life, I'd have a Z/28. But that's for the future. The most beautiful car in the world will have to suffice for now, and while others may have more under the hood, it does so very well. One point I've always found interesting is that there will ALWAYS be someone faster. There are semi trucks with jet engines mounted to them, so comparing numbers feels silly.

I didn't necessarily ask "How should I spend this money?", I was looking for a consensus on Z/28 brakes for a daily driven, non-tracked car. I know that members of this forum can be somewhat elitist when it comes to track-oriented vehicles and parts, however the reality of the case in the US (I can't speak for other countries) is that the overwhelming majority of things made and consumed are not used to the limits of their capabilities or for their originally intended purposes. This is not blasphemous to me, so I will continue to be inspired by peak performance and aspire to the elements that speak to me.

In response to your Barbie comment, I am new to car culture (4 years in) and not deterred by people such as yourself who think that the only way to participate is to dive in head-first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post

All great points, and after this poll I'm leaning towards passing on the deal, mostly due to unrealistic replacement costs should that day ever come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
It seems he is mostly fixated on visual mods, rather than the actual function. I would agree that carbon rotors look freakin' amazing, but at what cost?

If I had $4k to blow, I can guarantee you I would be putting it towards RWHP and suspension.
Very true, form and function are equally important to me. However, my daily driver doesn't need to be the fastest thing on the road. I care much more about how it makes me feel, and since owning the Camaro my feelings are much more persuaded by how it looks than by how it moves. I'll dabble in performance, but owning a gen5 Z/28 is the endgame in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc615 View Post
I still think he is missing the point that they really arnt $2k. He paid $xx amount for,the zl1 brakes. Let's say he breaks even when selling them and he originally paid $1k. He is still paying $3k for the cc brakes. Likely he is going to take a loss on the zl1 kit and that will further increase his actual cost. But hey, not my money. I've upgraded my SS rotors and pads and it stops like I need it to
The money isn't lost on me, I am just accounting for the difference in cost after selling the ZL1 brakes. I wouldn't buy the Z/28's unless I could do it without selling the others first, so I know there would be an initial $4k hit.

Last edited by SinginHawk; 01-16-2018 at 06:26 AM.
SinginHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:23 AM   #37
SinginHawk

Thank you pyroguy and gpskinzhut, your input here was invaluable and helped me settle some 6 months of turmoil.

I've decided to pass on the brakes since I wouldn't want to pay to replace them if I ever needed to, and their fragility during maintenance makes every visit under the chassis unnecessarily stressful.

Beautiful as they may be, their long-term cost is currently prohibitively expensive when it comes to upkeep, even if the upfront cost is comparatively low (compared to market price for the same brakes).
Old 01-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #38
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
How often do you expect to service the Z/28 brakes? I can tell you, that after 14,000 miles, street driven, that my CCM pads are barely worn. I bought my Z/28 November of 2014. The pads run $1000 a set off ebay, maybe less elsewere. In a street driven application, the rotors will last the life time of the car. Id expect that the pads in a daily driver environment, would last about four years or more, roughly $250 a year. How much would you pay a shop to do a regular steel rotor replacement with pads within that time frame?

Id be more concerned with the wheels you would have to use to clear the brakes than the long term service aspect.

edit, the rotors are susceptible to damage when handled poorly. But ive seen pics of some that have been in accidents, and they are not as fragile as you may think. There is a protective cover available to protect the rotor during wheel removal.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:44 AM   #39
SinginHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
How often do you expect to service the Z/28 brakes? I can tell you, that after 14,000 miles, street driven, that my CCM pads are barely worn. I bought my Z/28 November of 2014. The pads run $1000 a set off ebay, maybe less elsewere. In a street driven application, the rotors will last the life time of the car. Id expect that the pads in a daily driver environment, would last about four years or more, roughly $250 a year. How much would you pay a shop to do a regular steel rotor replacement with pads within that time frame?

Id be more concerned with the wheels you would have to use to clear the brakes than the long term service aspect.

edit, the rotors are susceptible to damage when handled poorly. But ive seen pics of some that have been in accidents, and they are not as fragile as you may think. There is a protective cover available to protect the rotor during wheel removal.
I have ZL1 10-spokes on the car now, so clearance isn't an issue. I remain curious about the exchange, but will not immediately begin bargain shopping.

To be honest, I just don't fancy the idea of paying $4k+ for something that I can't replace at a similar price if I ever needed to for any reason, be it accident or normal wear.

My worries about the inflated upkeep costs for a DD are exemplified by my carbon fiber Z/28 Diffuser, which was rear-ended on Halloween and requires a $1,200 replacement. Higher initial costs will inevitably lead to higher upkeep costs, especially when the well-being of my car is so often at the hands of the drivers around me.