Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
KCCO

Drives: 2010 Cobalt SS Stage 1
What to look for?

Hey guys. Been browsing this forum since 2009! After graduating last year and having a great job I will be looking at some Camaro's come Monday. Will be looking strictly at the SS model. I will be purchasing used as I cannot justify paying 45-50k for a brand new SS(Keep in mind I am in Canada, where the Camaro is built - yet we pay 6k-10k more )

I have found quite a few used 2010/2011's with low mileage (10-20k KM) for about 27-30k. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for on these model years other then doing a carfax (TSB's, faults in paint, alignment issues)? 1SS vs 2SS, is the leather really that much better than the cloth?
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Welcome to the site. Congrats on waiting until you finished school and got your education done first. Be sure to post some pictures when you get your Camaro.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
Welcome to the site. Congrats on waiting until you finished school and got your education done first. Be sure to post some pictures when you get your Camaro.
Thanks for the welcoming! Unfortunately for me this isn't the end of my education . I am currently apprenticing in Carpentry, set to be a 3rd year in October, after I finish my journeyman I will be going to Emergency Services College to pursue a career as a firefighter!

Last edited by KCCO; 08-18-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
KCCO

bit slow tonight? :P
Old 08-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
I would look @ just the basics first.
Everything visual - tires do they match are they correct, under the car for rust and welds/cuts. Like you said paint. I consider these cars still new and with less then 20k miles should not look beat up.
When I was car shoppong I was taking my time and looking @a white G8 GT. The thrid day I was going to really take it for a "test" drive. But when I got there a guy test drove and bought it the same day. Well still the same day I got my Camaro from the same dealer that was just traded in. Point is the first car you see may not be the best so take your time.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
i2disturbedSS

Oh and I have cloth and its fine - no smells or stains dd. However the IOM leather is nice
Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Buying used sometimes works out in your favor: 10k+ off MSRP, you wont lose as much when selling, sometimes the previous owner did work that you would want done, in my case the factory bumper to bumper is still good, etc. But there also could be negatives: Make sure the car drives perfectly. There shouldn't be anything making weird noises, or shaking, etc. If there is any rust, keep looking. There should be no rust on a car thats no more than 5 years old. Make sure there are no rips in the seats, or scratches on the door panels/radio/trim etc. Also, make sure everything works correctly on interior/exterior. Try and find a 2SS + RSpkg as the extra's aren't going to change the price much when buying used.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
I would look @ just the basics first.
Everything visual - tires do they match are they correct, under the car for rust and welds/cuts. Like you said paint. I consider these cars still new and with less then 20k miles should not look beat up.
When I was car shoppong I was taking my time and looking @a white G8 GT. The thrid day I was going to really take it for a "test" drive. But when I got there a guy test drove and bought it the same day. Well still the same day I got my Camaro from the same dealer that was just traded in. Point is the first car you see may not be the best so take your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
Buying used sometimes works out in your favor: 10k+ off MSRP, you wont lose as much when selling, sometimes the previous owner did work that you would want done, in my case the factory bumper to bumper is still good, etc. But there also could be negatives: Make sure the car drives perfectly. There shouldn't be anything making weird noises, or shaking, etc. If there is any rust, keep looking. There should be no rust on a car thats no more than 5 years old. Make sure there are no rips in the seats, or scratches on the door panels/radio/trim etc. Also, make sure everything works correctly on interior/exterior. Try and find a 2SS + RSpkg as the extra's aren't going to change the price much when buying used.

Thanks for the input guys! Appreciate it! Will be looking at a 2010 IOM 2SS/RS w/ GFX, a Black 2SS/RS with a Razzi kit, and a 2010 SW 1SS with a bunch of goodies aswell.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
45 grand? I ordered mine and paid 32. Granted it's a 1SS but still.
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzo View Post
45 grand? I ordered mine and paid 32. Granted it's a 1SS but still.
I'm in Canada! We pay a lot more for vehicles up here. ZL1's go for 70k... Lol

This is my local dealer's listings for brand new 2SS.
http://www.smpchev.ca/new-inventory/...&SBprice=clear
Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
The leather is definitely better than cloth, in my opinion. I have sat in both, and I have decided to go with a 2LT/RS myself! Glad you are finally getting active in the camaro community! Make sure you get the RS package though. Biggest bang for your buck.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #12
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCO View Post
I'm in Canada! We pay a lot more for vehicles up here. ZL1's go for 70k... Lol

This is my local dealer's listings for brand new 2SS.
http://www.smpchev.ca/new-inventory/...&SBprice=clear
Why don't you head south of the border and buy the car in the states?
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #13
i2disturbedSS

All 3 nice choice.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
If you get leather, get heated ones if you can.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote