Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
TNblackSS

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS, 6 speed
Aftermarket suppliers

I am 53 and have been in the car hobby my entire adult life. I have restored dozens of antique cars and have owned several cars that are popular in the modifying world such as air cooled VWs, Miatas, MGs, Z cars and Corvettes. With each of these cars, I have been very pleased with the aftermarket suppliers. I am use to ordering something in the morning and it being shipped that afternoon. Almost never have I ever had to wait any time for the item to ship.

For example, I own a 73 Porsche 914. I can pick up the phone this morning and order a part, it will ship this afternoon and I will have it by Friday. Same with my air cooled Beetles or Miata or MGs.

Since getting the Camaro, I have been disappointed in the after market suppliers for the most part. I have ordered several items and been told it would be 5-7 before the item ships. Some suppliers wait a day or two before even returning a phone call or email. Granted some have been quick but they are the exception.

I don't want to name any of the suppliers that I have been disappointed in but the question I have is - "is this the norm" for Camaro parts? Maybe I have been spoiled in the past but it seems the Camaro aftermarket demand would be a healthy as the other cars I have owned.

Just wondering

Robby (sometimes I impatient)
TNblackSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Moe'

Drives: 10 Camaro 1SS/RS 6M
True thing!
I would say maybe because, most of Camaro owners mod their cars
some interior and exterior touches
Moe' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
It has been my experience that the aftermarket suppliers for most GM cars are not producing parts as they do for Fords, Mopars and other makes. Go figure. You want a part for a Mustang? Dozens of suppliers for any part ever made, and a reasonable price. Camaro, Solstice or most GM makes....tough to find and sky high prices.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I think part of the problem may be GM itself. I don't know how much Ford polices their aftermarket, but Gm seems to be very strict about licensing the aftermarket. So vendors have to spend a lot of money to get the approvals needed before they can make, modify or sell a part.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
The astronomical prices is what bugs me. I don't mind a few days wait for a hot product to ship if I'm ordering it straight from the maker and not buying from a company that carries many brands and products. But that said, if an item is advertised in stock, it should be shipped within 24 hours IMHO.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I'm sure satisfaction levels vary from supplier to supplier. Haven't dealt directly with GM for parts, but I have nothing but praise for the aftermarket suppliers I have dealt with from this site. Apex, Emblem Pros, CAI... all great suppliers, IMO!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
We typically ship same day if we receive the order early enough, or next day if not. But there are times where the item is not always available to ship immediately, in which case we always make the customer aware of any possible delays. This time of year is the busy season and with many items in high demand, the stock runs short from time to time. I recommend shooting the vendor a quick PM/email or even giving them a call to see if the item is in stock before ordering.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I've ordered many parts for my Camaro and have never had anything back ordered. I've usually orderd from a distributer not the manufacturer. I ordered an Edelbrock E-Force S/C from a distributer in N.C. and received it in two business day. You can't beat that.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
Also, there are some vendors who don't actually have much inventory. They will take the order from you, then order the part from their supplier. After they receive it, it's sent to you. This takes time.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXIIIDave View Post
Also, there are some vendors who don't actually have much inventory. They will take the order from you, then order the part from their supplier. After they receive it, it's sent to you. This takes time.
This is probably why some of the prices are so high for parts because there are too many hands that the part passes through before it gets to us, the consumer.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote