Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #57
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Axle ratios were already posted above by Comrando.

Yes, 1LE's are still available. There are many still to be built as well as many awaiting shipment.

The cost of the 1LE package is $3500.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #58
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
The next question you should ask yourself is...If you're going to buy a camaro to modify why in the world would you start with a manual transmission? Start with the auto and you will be way ahead of the game. Most people that think they can drive a manual can't drive a manual.
What???

Is he going to seriously compete in drag racing? Or, is he wanting it for fun?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #59
YellowL99

Drives: 2014 Yellow L99
Bought a 2012SS with 6k miles on it and my dad has a 2011 SS with 14k miles. His feels so much more responsive but then again his is broken in. Weird though since its the same car lol
YellowL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #60
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
All good posts, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
The next question you should ask yourself is...If you're going to buy a camaro to modify why in the world would you start with a manual transmission? Start with the auto and you will be way ahead of the game. Most people that think they can drive a manual can't drive a manual.I also think you are asking questions that you already know the answers to.
Again, all good posts, and I thank you for the time.

I am not sure why you are saying 'don't start with a manual transmission', from a technical standpoint. Why am I way ahead of the game with an automatic? I am serious, I really don't understand.

Also, I am quite proficient at driving a manual, though I don't claim to be a race car driver.LOL. Part of the fun with a manual is learning how to choose the right gear when you are at a given speed and want the max acceleration.
I am sorry to say that I don't know the answers to the questions that I am asking, besides not all questions have absolute answers. There are opinions and nuances that I always love to hear especially from experienced people.

I really appreciate all the time people have spent educating me already.

To JimE, thats what I meant when I said I would check out overall ratios in every gear. Thanks for the info on the 1Le.

2cnd chance, I just like a very quick great handling car. I would consider a
Vette, but I find the Camaro to be more of an old world muscle car look and it's easier to get in and out of. It also has a semblance of a back seat.

The beauty of all the cars on this forum is that they represent an extension of the owners personality and desires. I appreciate all of them and love to view and read about all that you guys and gals have done.

aabreu09 I didn't realize that break in could continue to happen for so long. I believe some cars by virtue of tolerances and settings act a little different right out of the show room.

Have to go to work now.

Thanks again
Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #61
daytripper

Drives: IOM 2012 1SS m6
If you are looking for horsepower try a Shelby GT500. I can assure you it will not feel sluggish off the line or anywhere else. Scary,yes.Sluggish,no.
daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #62
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
All this talk about sluggish makes me ponder if the computer controlled, fly-by-wire system is what's making the "feeling" of sluggish-ness. Although I have yet to purchase one, I have driven several, both auto and manual and have found that I prefer the manual because of the perceived better responsiveness of the throttle when I step on the gas (not to mention the pure fun and excitement of driving a manual!!). The autos, although fast as all get-out, just don't seem responsive at first and I think it's because of an intentional computer-lag from the time you press on the gas pedal to the time the car reacts. It's a fraction of a second, but compared to a properly tuned, old cable-controlled carb, it's downright slow!

Is there a tune to make the throttle reaction more responsive and instantaneous?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #63
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I believe that if he test drives a 1LE it will satisfy due to the gearing.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #64
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
All this talk about sluggish makes me ponder if the computer controlled, fly-by-wire system is what's making the "feeling" of sluggish-ness. Although I have yet to purchase one, I have driven several, both auto and manual and have found that I prefer the manual because of the perceived better responsiveness of the throttle when I step on the gas (not to mention the pure fun and excitement of driving a manual!!). The autos, although fast as all get-out, just don't seem responsive at first and I think it's because of an intentional computer-lag from the time you press on the gas pedal to the time the car reacts. It's a fraction of a second, but compared to a properly tuned, old cable-controlled carb, it's downright slow!

Is there a tune to make the throttle reaction more responsive and instantaneous?
10forty 2
That is the reason I started this thread. I was really surprised by the lack of initial response. After that lag, the SS was quick and the ZL1 very fast.

Daytripper, I appreciate your suggestion, but I'm just not a Mustang person and never will be.
I am a little pissed at GM for not having a car that can compete with that Shelby. But something you said peaked my interest.

'Scary fast but sluggish no'. I'm wondering if that scary fast is because it's 100 horsepower more than ZL1 with about a 400 pound weight advantage or if Ford has managed to take the lag out of the new fly by wire throttle controls.

Pleas others chime in, what do you think of that question.

2cnd chance. I think your are probably right about 1LE I'm checking into the availability of those around here.

When I went on the Chevy site to price out a 2SS RS with 1LE package it seemed to allow that combo, but took off the Black wheels. Does that mean I would get the RS wheels but in the extra wide width that the 1LE comes with or is it a site anomaly.

Jim
Old 05-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #65
MrVicRed

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS 6sp Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
My friend ahs the ZL1 and said for the first thousand miles or so the car felt sluggish to him. (He's always had fast cars and drives like a maniac) But after the 1000 mile mark his car is just explosive and he loves it now. HE thinks GM had some computer controlled break in period for the car.
There is a computerized part to the break in. I though my SS was soft of the line. I spoke to a technician a about it and he told me that the computer was holding it back a little bit but after break-in I'd be real happy and indeed I was.
MrVicRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #66
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Any Gm official out there that knows for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVicRed View Post
There is a computerized part to the break in. I though my SS was soft of the line. I spoke to a technician a about it and he told me that the computer was holding it back a little bit but after break-in I'd be real happy and indeed I was.

MrVicRed, You seem to be part of a growing number of people that have said this same thing.Do you think that it's possible that Mustangs don't have this lag?

I have seen some drag races of stock versus stock camaros versus mustangs and to me that is exactly what I see. The Camaro seems to give up an instant of time off the line. The cars are pretty evenly matched to begin with so the mustangs win. Of course I'm not talking about race prepared cars at the track. Camaros give no quarter there, but with stock cars taken to a track just for hahas I wonder if it that lag happens.

Jim
Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #67
Jims Mongoose
Jim

I finally reviewed Comrando's gear chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post

I included Comrando's gear chart for two reasons:
First because it's his and he deserves credit.
Second because you can look up the numbers to understand my confusion.

Look at the first and Second gear overall ratio between the LS3 stick and the L99 automatic. My conclusions. GM gives us 26 more horsepower with the stick and takes away early on start up torque with higher overall ratios for the automatic. Makes no sense to me.

If you combine that with the two overdrive gears fifth and sixth, we literally have wasted gears. Come on now GM make the sixth gear somewhere between the current fifth and sixth gear in the tranny and give us another gear before you get to direct drive which is now fourth. That way you can make the tranny gears higher numerically and get a faster more powerful take off and also skip gears easier when driving in normal around town situations. Better around town gas mileage and better power.

Next question. Everyone says 1LE is faster because of the gearing. If you compare the 1LE gearing it does not give you higher ratios overall till you get to 3rd gear, so that is not why the 1LE is faster zero to sixty. I believe if the 1LE is faster it has something to do with either the lag we have been talking about or the engine is in fact putting out more power.

Also on the 1LE why are the overal ratios even more crazy towards overdrive? I quess that could be for racing, top end and all that.

On the ZL1, again we could have a much faster car if the tranny gears were picked differently. It's overall ratios are even worse than the SS stick till you get to direct drive. And again the overdrive gear problem. I just don
t understand.

Please help, don't tell me this is CAFE baloney

Jim
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #68
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post

Please help, don't tell me this is CAFE baloney

Jim

That's exactly the reasons for the ratios, it's a ballance between performance and GG Tax. Any idea how many SS owners would bitch if they had to pay an extra $2500 in GG tax on their cars ? And then sales tax on the GG tax ...
Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #69
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
That's exactly the reasons for the ratios, it's a ballance between performance and GG Tax. Any idea how many SS owners would bitch if they had to pay an extra $2500 in GG tax on their cars ? And then sales tax on the GG tax ...
I know you're right, but:

In the old days we sometimes had a choice of close ratio and wide ratio transmission and rear end gears. I myself would probably pay it. Why not make them an option and if you take the Gas Guzzler option then you pay for it.

This EPA stuff is garbage. Never mind, I won't hijack my own thread with political stuff.

I will tell you though, I feel stymied in every range of power, either the V6, SS or ZL1 I have to take a back seat to those Mustangs, either because of weight or horsepower to gearing options.

Will just have to build an 800 horsepower Camaro

Back to the thread does anyone have any specific comments on my 1LE thoughts. I am going to look at that next. To bad I don't like the new Camaro back.

Jim
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #70
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

consider the shorter tire as well