Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-09-2024, 02:19 PM   #71
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Check the freon lately? The high side port uses a rubber ball valve instead of using a schrader valve and leaks like crazy. GM actually recommends replacing the port every year because they are so prone to leaking.

I went through the same issue and thought mine was the blend door but instead the high side port had leaked all the freon out so I would start there first.

My air has been blowing warm, my friend tried to add Freon but it wouldn't hold. He tried to add a vacuum but it wouldn't hold on the high side. I was really hoping it was going to be just something to do with the high side such as this, but today at the shop they told me I was going to need a new compressor.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 03:37 PM   #72
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
My air has been blowing warm, my friend tried to add Freon but it wouldn't hold. He tried to add a vacuum but it wouldn't hold on the high side. I was really hoping it was going to be just something to do with the high side such as this, but today at the shop they told me I was going to need a new compressor.
New compressor beats changing the blend door the correct way lol

You could always pay for service fee, buy an AC Delco compressor online and install it yourself. Then have it filled

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:21 PM   #73
SSixxgunn

Drives: 2015 Camaro, 2SS
Does anyone in the Carolinas area have any suggestions on where to go when you know it's the blend door and it has to be replaced? I guess even Tennessee or NE Georgia would work, given my location in Greenville, SC. Not sure I can go another summer with semi-cold air blowing at me from the passenger side vents......
SSixxgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:55 AM   #74
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I finally bit the bullet and dropped off the Camaro at Tom Gibbs Chevrolet in my area. They are going to replace the AC Evaporator and install my new aluminum blend door for me while everything is out. I also asked them to replace the heater core as well because if that craps out down the road... everything has to come apart again and I do not want to spend $3k again to have the job done. Luckily I received a 15% off coupon in the mail that I will be using towards this repair. Should be ready by next week Tuesday.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:13 PM   #75
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I'm a little surprised they will use a non OE door. Are you supplying it to them? I guess it's a good idea to replace the other stuff while in there, as you say.

FINALLY getting warmer out here so I'm scheduled to get my aluminum blend door calibrated. I'm convinced it'll be colder when calibrated in the right position. This shop swears that simply unhooking the battery will NOT properly reposition the door. For all you hackers (like me) out there!
Old 04-10-2024, 01:31 PM   #76
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I finally bit the bullet and dropped off the Camaro at Tom Gibbs Chevrolet in my area. They are going to replace the AC Evaporator and install my new aluminum blend door for me while everything is out. I also asked them to replace the heater core as well because if that craps out down the road... everything has to come apart again and I do not want to spend $3k again to have the job done. Luckily I received a 15% off coupon in the mail that I will be using towards this repair. Should be ready by next week Tuesday.
Yeah I'm interested too to know how you got them to install a non oem part. I replace my blend door in 2020 for around $2100 with the heads up display windshield because they said they had to remove it to be done and mine had a bad crack across it. But that was on my other Camaro that had 150k mikes on it. Now my new Camaro has 133k on it so hopefully I have a little more time before the blend door goes again on this one. And if you don't mind posting a link where you purchased the aluminum door that would be cool too.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:57 PM   #77
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Yeah I'm interested too to know how you got them to install a non oem part. I replace my blend door in 2020 for around $2100 with the heads up display windshield because they said they had to remove it to be done and mine had a bad crack across it. But that was on my other Camaro that had 150k mikes on it. Now my new Camaro has 133k on it so hopefully I have a little more time before the blend door goes again on this one. And if you don't mind posting a link where you purchased the aluminum door that would be cool too.
I know that Blenddoorusa is the one everyone keeps mentioning on this forum.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:25 PM   #78
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I'm a little surprised they will use a non OE door. Are you supplying it to them? I guess it's a good idea to replace the other stuff while in there, as you say.

FINALLY getting warmer out here so I'm scheduled to get my aluminum blend door calibrated. I'm convinced it'll be colder when calibrated in the right position. This shop swears that simply unhooking the battery will NOT properly reposition the door. For all you hackers (like me) out there!

Not sure, however when I told the service advisor about the aluminum blend door he did not hesitate. The service advisor also drives a newer Camaro and when he saw my aluminum blend door, his words were "Cool!". He is going to put the old blend door in the packaging the new blend door was in because I requested it to be done. This will allow me to see the current condition and how much life was left in the old blend door.

This same dealership is also going to be installing my 3.91 rear end along with the the SS driveshaft, rear hubs, rear axle shafts along with my new LPW rear differential cover. My plan was to do this before it got delayed to the current situation I am in now due to the AC. It will be a a few months or maybe by the end of the year, I'll take it in to have it done.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:49 PM   #79
SummitWhite11

Quote:

Here is the link to the blend door that the_bald_eagle_machine was referring to...

https://www.blenddoorusa.com/collect...5-chevy-camaro

Old 04-11-2024, 12:58 AM   #80
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Here is the link to the blend door that the_bald_eagle_machine was referring to...

https://www.blenddoorusa.com/collect...5-chevy-camaro
Cool! Thanks
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 04-11-2024, 12:59 AM   #81
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I know that Blenddoorusa is the one everyone keeps mentioning on this forum.
Thanks!

Old 04-12-2024, 05:12 PM   #82
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Thanks!

Old 04-12-2024, 05:15 PM   #83
SummitWhite11

I have been receiving text communication from the service advisor at the dealership. They are now buttoning everything up and the new aluminum blend door was installed successfully. They will contact their glass guy tmw to come in on Monday to reinstall my windshield and it should be ready for pickup by then. I'm looking forward to the outcome!

Old 04-14-2024, 08:59 AM   #84
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I get my new aluminum blend door calibrated on Tuesday morning. I hope that's the end of this ordeal. I'll report back if that fixes the not-so-cold A/C or if it requires refrigerant. I think the A/C is fine, just needs to close the door completely on the heater core.