Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
USARCPT

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS TF3 LS3
Exhaust Rattle Possibilities

Forgive me in advance, but searching wasn't as forthcoming as I'd hoped.

Had installed American Thunder (for gfx) and love it! However, am noticing two different sorts of rattle and am hoping you folks are more attuned to solutions.

-Rattle at idle; likely guess on my end is one of the tips rattles inside the port opening in the back of the gfx.

--Occasional single rattle over bumps; this one seems to be under the car near the passenger side. Nothing wiggles or seems loose. Not a consistent rattle and not able to easily duplicate whatever variables lead to this random rattle.

Obviously I will have the installer help with this, but suggested possibilities might help the hourly costs.

Experiences, friends? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
This is a complete shot in the dark, but I had a rattle with my Flowmaster Outlaw that turned out to be the clip on the stock headers freely vibrating about, since it isn't reused with Flowmaster's mid-pipe. Mine sounded like someone jingling keys about...I solved it by hammering the clip back flush to the pipe with a rubber mallet.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
After you check tip alignment inside rear valence, I would look at the tunnel brace. Just make sure they have plenty of room over brace. If not, add some spacers or get an aftermarket tunnel brace that drops down a bit more.

If that isn't it check the heat shield in tunnel brace area. Mine had some bolts from a clamp touching the heat shield there.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
First make sure that you don't have any road debris stuck up there. If not, some common issues are loose couplers or hangers, rubbing against heat shield or brace, blown cat or muffler. Good luck finding it. So nice to rid of that!
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
After you check tip alignment inside rear valence, I would look at the tunnel brace. Just make sure they have plenty of room over brace. If not, add some spacers or get an aftermarket tunnel brace that drops down a bit more.

If that isn't it check the heat shield in tunnel brace area. Mine had some bolts from a clamp touching the heat shield there.
This is the biggest issue when changing exhausts. If it's still there, make sure you have a couple inches of clearance between the brace and the pipes. If not, that's more than likely your issue. Easy fix too.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
FlowmasterMufflers

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Some great troubleshooting suggestions here! If you need any further assistance or have any questions regarding your American Thunder system, please PM me. Good luck!
FlowmasterMufflers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had a rattle with my American Thunder, turned out the muffler hangars were rattling against the rear bumper support because they were too long. cut them shorter and the rattle was gone!

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Most likely your exhaust is hitting the tunnel brace. You will need to shim it.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
USARCPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Most likely your exhaust is hitting the tunnel brace. You will need to shim it.

This is the issue - watching this go down now.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAR1LT View Post
This is the issue - watching this go down now.

Yea those are definitely too close to the tunnel brace.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
USARCPT

All done. Did some wiggling/shimming/prying, in and out 20 mins tops, and a few washers to space things a bit too. No rattling over bumpy road construction, so reckon the main rattle is solved.

Thanks for the insight; it really saved time to consult the Camaro5 guild!