Phastek Performance

Old 04-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #29
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Thank you!

How did you determine the spring travel? What formula? Curious because I didn't know that could also be calculated from this!
There's no complicated formula, just some subtraction and division. I can't determine total spring stroke from free to block, only make assumptions. I just looked at the linear part of the graph for each. For the front it's linear from roughly 325 Lbf to 875 Lbf, which is (875-325)= 550 Lbf of range. 550 Lbf /178 Lb/In = 3.1". The spring has to compress for more than that because there needs to be preload for the correct ride height (roughly 1000 pounds each front corner means there's probably 2+" of preload to get 4" of droop, seeing the early spring rate is much lower), plus the entire damper travel is roughly 6", so the spring rate is only linear for less than half of the springs compressibility. Essentially the spring is only linear from slightly above ride height to full bumpstop compression.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #30
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
There's no complicated formula, just some subtraction and division. I can't determine total spring stroke from free to block, only make assumptions. I just looked at the linear part of the graph for each. For the front it's linear from roughly 325 Lbf to 875 Lbf, which is (875-325)= 550 Lbf of range. 550 Lbf /178 Lb/In = 3.1". The spring has to compress for more than that because there needs to be preload for the correct ride height (roughly 1000 pounds each front corner means there's probably 2+" of preload to get 4" of droop, seeing the early spring rate is much lower), plus the entire damper travel is roughly 6", so the spring rate is only linear for less than half of the springs compressibility. Essentially the spring is only linear from slightly above ride height to full bumpstop compression.

excellent, thank you!
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #31
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
So what specs are we missing to be able to go to a spring manufacturer and ask to have a set of springs built that are 1LE spring rates with drop of approx 1in all around?
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #32
Cupahaters

Drives: 2017 fifty camaro
So are we saying lowering the car and adding 1le package is a bad idea?
Cupahaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #33
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupahaters View Post
So are we saying lowering the car and adding 1le package is a bad idea?
Not necessarily bad. Doubt any mechanical damage occurs, but no aftermarket lowering spring out there right now has an improvement in spring rate over the 1LE factory springs.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #34
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
amazing job you've done on this.... most people just buy springs according to "amount projected to lower" and have no clue about the other factors that will determine overall lowering amount as well as performance.

btw, where did you go to get the springs teched out?

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 06-06-2017 at 07:20 PM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #35
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
amazing job you've done on this.... most people just buy springs according to "amount projected to lower" and have no clue about the other factors that will determine overall lowering amount as well as performance.

btw, where did you go to get the springs teched out?
Thank you! This thread reminded me that I still need to have the SS springs tested for comparison charts.

RRT Tuning in Dulles is where I got the test done. Great group of guys there that race BMWs.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #36
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
This is an awesome thread!

I have my stock set of FE3 springs in a box... I'll try to find a place that can measure springs rates around here and will post results if I do. If I'll have some extra $ at the time, I might ask them to take off my Eibachs and measure those as well - always good to have independent numbers.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #37
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
This is an awesome thread!

I have my stock set of FE3 springs in a box... I'll try to find a place that can measure springs rates around here and will post results if I do. If I'll have some extra $ at the time, I might ask them to take off my Eibachs and measure those as well - always good to have independent numbers.
That would definitely be a huge help! I have my SS springs boxed up.

Might buy some BMR and Phastek springs for testing but that's out of pocket and I'd rather not upset the vendors that wish for their rates to remain proprietary.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:46 AM   #38
Rinker

Drives: 17' SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
That would definitely be a huge help! I have my SS springs boxed up.

Might buy some BMR and Phastek springs for testing but that's out of pocket and I'd rather not upset the vendors that wish for their rates to remain proprietary.
So If I'm understanding this correctly...Replacing my 1LE springs would be a mistake.

Don't see how that'd be out of pocket, simply trying to make an informed buying decision. In the event that their product is superior to others, that would only help that said company, as well as create competition amongst other companies to make a better product.
Rinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #39
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinker View Post
So If I'm understanding this correctly...Replacing my 1LE springs would be a mistake.

Don't see how that'd be out of pocket, simply trying to make an informed buying decision. In the event that their product is superior to others, that would only help that said company, as well as create competition amongst other companies to make a better product.
For performance at this time, yes.

It would cost me out of pocket to buy all those other springs and have them tested. I could get it done for under a grand, but I don't like you guys quite that much
Old 07-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #40
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Need to make this a sticky if you plan on updating
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #41
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
Need to make this a sticky if you plan on updating
Yeah that would be easier. Maybe a mod could help us out?
Old 08-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #42
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
Has this been updated since the Eibach 1LE specific lowering springs have launched?
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le springs rate