Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
Gabhart

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Lower Panel Rock Chips

Before and after I purchased my 1LE I continue to read where rock chips are an issue especially in front of the rear wheels. I have been hellbent on avoiding gravel at all costs but have run in to several construction zones and even an area where it looks like a dump truck lost half it's load!

Cleaning my car this past weekend and finally really looking at the area in front of my rear wheels (I've been in denial) and yup, under 2000 miles on the clock and rock chips galore. This find is frustrating because not only is this car new but GM knows about the problem which is why they put some clear film in this area. Why would they not make the film bigger to cover more area????

I think I have come to grips on this and and continue to kick myself in the a$$ for not listening to so many recommendations to protect this area ASAP after taking possession of the car. I have been quoted $1600 (no hood) to clear the damage prone areas (track package) and was holding off until I get the funds together.

To get this area looking good again I will have to get this part repainted and wait who knows how long before being able to get the new paint clear protected. I'm not even confident at this point clear film will offer the protection I'm looking for.

What are you guys doing to get the ultimate protection (besides not driving it) for your paint?
Gabhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
ride98red

Drives: 2017 Summit White Chevy Camaro 2SS
I did pp on the front only and left the area in front of the rear wheels as is. My car is summit white so you don't have it as bad as us SW guys/gals. Nature of the beast. I just put the zl1 rock guards on. Won't help much but it's something. There are more important things in life to worry about (or not worry about at all). But I do understand your frustration.
ride98red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
My car had this issue right after I bought it as well. The rocks are being slung off the front tires and hitting the rear areas, Rock guards behind your front tires are what you need to stop this process.

I agree that GM should do something about this. I actually opened a case but got nowhere.

Your best bet is to get some guards, and then use Dr Colorchip or Langka to fill the chips in. You can get them very close to perfect (95%) with some practice and patience.

Dr. Colorchip works best on small chips, about 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser or so, Langka works better on larger chips. If your going with Langka, you only need the blob eliminator, and factory touch up paint. Dr. Colorchip you only need the basic kit.

After you decide which one you want to go with, I can help you with some tips for use. I've used both on many different cars with good results.

Occasionally, people who have had this issue have received a one time re-paint from their dealership. It depends on your dealership and your relationship with them as to weather or not they will do it.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 11-20-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
A product like ZL1 addons rock guards work very well. Have zero rock chips on my car
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #5
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
The ultimate protection? Don't drive it. lol! Next best solution? Make yourself some mudflaps that extend to nearly the bottom of the front wheels.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
My car had this issue right after I bought it as well. The rocks are being slung off the front tires and hitting the rear areas, Rock guards behind your front tires are what you need to stop this process.

I agree that GM should do something about this. I actually opened a case but got nowhere.

Your best bet is to get some guards, and then use Dr Colorchip or Langka to fill the chips in. You can get them very close to perfect (95%) with some practice and patience.

Dr. Colorchip works best on small chips, about 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser or so, Langka works better on larger chips. If your going with Langka, you only need the blob eliminator, and factory touch up paint. Dr. Colorchip you only need the basic kit.

After you decide which one you want to go with, I can help you with some tips for use. I've used both on many different cars with good results.

Occasionally, people who have had this issue have received a one time re-paint from their dealership. It depends on your dealership and your relationship with them as to weather or not they will do it.

I would be interested in any tips you have for Dr. Colorchip. I used it on mine once but wasn't really happy with the results. Getting ready to do a thorough paint correction/ ppe/ ceramic and need to try to fill some chips before I do. Not sure what to do different. They helped make the chips less noticeable from a distance but didn't seem to dry level with the paint or anything. You can still see them pretty easy if you know where they are and are standing by the car. PPE seems to highlight one of the worst ones on the front bumper.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
02fbody35th

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I got to be honest. The answer isn’t rockguards. My car has the oem rock guards and they did nothing for the sandblasting in front of the rear wheels. After I put on my 1LE wheels the chips got crazy. What I did after paint correction, I bought some 3m PPF on a roll and made a template of the area. Then cut the film and applied it. It came out great and I have never done anything like this before. Only cost me $50 for the film. Watch some videos on it and give it a shot. Also remove the small piece of film that comes from the factory first. Good luck
Old 11-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
I got to be honest. The answer isn’t rockguards. My car has the oem rock guards and they did nothing for the sandblasting in front of the rear wheels. After I put on my 1LE wheels the chips got crazy. What I did after paint correction, I bought some 3m PPF on a roll and made a template of the area. Then cut the film and applied it. It came out great and I have never done anything like this before. Only cost me $50 for the film. Watch some videos on it and give it a shot. Also remove the small piece of film that comes from the factory first. Good luck
The OEM rockguards don't stick out far enough to prevent rocks from hitting the rear of the car.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
I would be interested in any tips you have for Dr. Colorchip. I used it on mine once but wasn't really happy with the results. Getting ready to do a thorough paint correction/ ppe/ ceramic and need to try to fill some chips before I do. Not sure what to do different. They helped make the chips less noticeable from a distance but didn't seem to dry level with the paint or anything. You can still see them pretty easy if you know where they are and are standing by the car. PPE seems to highlight one of the worst ones on the front bumper.
Start a thread of your own (so you don't hijack this one) with pictures of the chips. I would think you probably used the dab, smear, wipe method they suggest. This works well for very small chips only in my experience with it.

Just so you know I can help you use it. Here's a friend of mine from the Camaro 5 forum who actually used it to fix a deep scratch. Dr.Colorchip wasn't designed for this purpose, it was designed for small chips (road rash). The application/removal process can be changed for use on larger chips/scratches.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=Colorchip

If your doing paint correction, and using compound, I'd do that step first before applying Dr. Colorchip. Compound will pull the paint out of the chip, finishing polish will not.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 11-21-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
02fbody35th

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
The OEM rockguards don't stick out far enough to prevent rocks from hitting the rear of the car.
And you know this how? Because from what I can see you drive a 5th gen. I’m just trying to share the facts here, and my first hand experience. Not what I read or heard someone else say.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
And you know this how? Because from what I can see you drive a 5th gen. I’m just trying to share the facts here, and my first hand experience. Not what I read or heard someone else say.
Here's the OEM. Hardly any protrusion, and definitely not low enough, to stop chips from wider front 1LE wheels, that is what the OP has.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/inMAA...ygh/s-l500.jpg

Here is what a larger size guard does vs. OEM.

I doesn't matter that I have a 5th gen. My front tires are wider then the wheel wells. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out to stop the rocks from slinging to the rear quarters, you need a guard that is wider then the tire, and low enough as well.

I haven't had one new chip in 4 years of owning my car on the rear quarters since installing my guards.

If you think this didn't happen to 5th gens in the EXACT same area, here's proof.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1272075562

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 11-21-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
Gabhart

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I do have a 1LE and I'm sure the Goodyear F1's do not help my situation. I have the OEM splash guards and they appear to be doing nothing to help me although the chips may be worse if I didn't have anything.

I know you can't keep the car perfect if you are going to drive and enjoy it but this amount of chips for being under 2000 miles really is unacceptable.

My thoughts are to remove the rockers on both sides (name is ironic, isn't it?), get them repaired and repainted, wait for the paint to fully cure for about 3 months then get them cleared with the most durable stuff I can find. This way when the clear film gets eaten up I should be able to peel it off (hopefully not taking the paint with it) and replace it to keep the area looking half decent.

I hate that I even have to think about this stuff but I love this car too much to let it look like hell.
Gabhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #13
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabhart View Post
I do have a 1LE and I'm sure the Goodyear F1's do not help my situation. I have the OEM splash guards and they appear to be doing nothing to help me although the chips may be worse if I didn't have anything.

I know you can't keep the car perfect if you are going to drive and enjoy it but this amount of chips for being under 2000 miles really is unacceptable.

My thoughts are to remove the rockers on both sides (name is ironic, isn't it?), get them repaired and repainted, wait for the paint to fully cure for about 3 months then get them cleared with the most durable stuff I can find. This way when the clear film gets eaten up I should be able to peel it off (hopefully not taking the paint with it) and replace it to keep the area looking half decent.

I hate that I even have to think about this stuff but I love this car too much to let it look like hell.

I feel your pain. After owning my car for 1 week, I did the first wash. Had about a dozen chips. Fortunately for me my work is only 8/10ths of a mile from my home, so I walked to work for a few days until my guards were shipped.

If you want a set of guards that is 100% right for your car, you have a couple options. ZL1 addon's will make any size you want. So you can get them low enough and wide enough to prevent rocks from slinging.

If you have the tools you can buy the material and make them yourself for about $20.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252329