Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 10-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #15
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
No problem norm. We have tracked together b4. Feel free to discuss. I got thick skin
What I'm thinking of is purely technical and unlikely to arouse any feelings one way or the other. But first, I think I'm going to try to put together a spreadsheet in an attempt to quantify what's going on at least in terms of deflections and camber changes. Frequency and modeshape stuff will have to remain in more generalized terms.

If I find anything worth posting, it'll end up in a 'Suspension / Brakes / Chassis thread because it really won't be in the form of a question for Al. I haven't yet reviewed those convertible threads, so I'm not currently aware of what they might have answered for you.

Norm
Old 10-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #16
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
What I'm thinking of is purely technical and unlikely to arouse any feelings one way or the other. But first, I think I'm going to try to put together a spreadsheet in an attempt to quantify what's going on at least in terms of deflections and camber changes. Frequency and modeshape stuff will have to remain in more generalized terms.

If I find anything worth posting, it'll end up in a 'Suspension / Brakes / Chassis thread because it really won't be in the form of a question for Al. I haven't yet reviewed those convertible threads, so I'm not currently aware of what they might have answered for you.

Norm
Make sure you post a link in this thread to it please.

Also, I don't think they answered any questions, but only asked similar questions. There is speculation, but no one answered them from the people that designed and engineered the car.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #17
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Here's my opinion, FWIW

It's no secret that one of GM's main objectives was to make the chassis of the new Camaro stiffer, and they succeeded. I don't have the percentages, but all you need to do is drive a fifth gen and a sixth gen and you know the sixth gen is stiffer. That being said, the factory and the aftermarket offer strut tower braces. We look at it two ways. There is the performance side. While the car is definitely stiffer, you can always make it stifferer (lol). A strut tower brace (factory or aftermarket) is going to stiffen whatever it is connected to and the supporting system. The question becomes at what point is it noticeable and beneficial? In our opinion, unless you have race tire, race brakes, and intestinal fortitude to push the car to THE CAR'S limit (much different than the driver's limit) a strut tower can be beneficial. This "benefit" is decided by the driver, what he/she feels, and what they are looking for in how the car performance. That being said, this is a very small percentage of people who fit into this category. This brings us to the other side of the conversation.

Aesthetics. When you open the hood, you want to be greeted by whats as awesome on the outside. A strut tower brace is a great way to add an inexpensive, racy looking part under the hood. The installation is simple, and everyone sees it when you open the hood. Everyone wants to mod their car, even if its something simple. A strut tower bar is a great way to personalize your car.

If you're looking for a mod that makes a performance difference, a strut tower bar is not necessarily where I would start. There are a bunch of other parts that will make a more significant change.

Just my thoughts on the topic....

Pete
Old 10-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post
Here's my opinion, FWIW

It's no secret that one of GM's main objectives was to make the chassis of the new Camaro stiffer, and they succeeded. I don't have the percentages, but all you need to do is drive a fifth gen and a sixth gen and you know the sixth gen is stiffer. That being said, the factory and the aftermarket offer strut tower braces. We look at it two ways. There is the performance side. While the car is definitely stiffer, you can always make it stifferer (lol). A strut tower brace (factory or aftermarket) is going to stiffen whatever it is connected to and the supporting system. The question becomes at what point is it noticeable and beneficial? In our opinion, unless you have race tire, race brakes, and intestinal fortitude to push the car to THE CAR'S limit (much different than the driver's limit) a strut tower can be beneficial. This "benefit" is decided by the driver, what he/she feels, and what they are looking for in how the car performance. That being said, this is a very small percentage of people who fit into this category. This brings us to the other side of the conversation.

Aesthetics. When you open the hood, you want to be greeted by whats as awesome on the outside. A strut tower brace is a great way to add an inexpensive, racy looking part under the hood. The installation is simple, and everyone sees it when you open the hood. Everyone wants to mod their car, even if its something simple. A strut tower bar is a great way to personalize your car.

If you're looking for a mod that makes a performance difference, a strut tower bar is not necessarily where I would start. There are a bunch of other parts that will make a more significant change.

Pete
I bet you're right. Even though you can always make something stronger, at some point you'll run into diminishing returns where even a big increase produces minimal benefit.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #19

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post
Here's my opinion, FWIW

Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I bet you're right. Even though you can always make something stronger, at some point you'll run into diminishing returns where even a big increase produces minimal benefit.
All good points that likely apply to the coupe. The convertible, though, I would think "needs" or must have the brace for even normal driving. Without it might lead to noticeable lack of stiffness under normal driving, and would definitely be required for any tracking.

I think the OP has asked two things...."needed" or "helpful"....What would happen to a convertible without a brace?....

Is hardtop bracing necessarily better than strut tower?....Or is strut tower just a Band-Aid for the convertibles?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #20

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Here's the race GT4-R...It has the modified LT-1, but has the ZL1/LT4 tower braces...It is a coupe, the regular convertible SS tower brace would probably fit, but they have these braces on their race-coupe...just fyi...

Needed?...Helpful?....Not needed?...I would say in this case, needed/helpful....

Name:  03-camaro-gt4r-lt1-engine.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  68.8 KB
Old 10-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #21
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Here's the race GT4-R...It has the modified LT-1, but has the ZL1/LT4 tower braces...It is a coupe, the regular convertible SS tower brace would probably fit, but they have these braces on their race-coupe...just fyi...

Needed?...Helpful?....Not needed?...I would say in this case, needed/helpful....

Attachment 903419
ALL 6th gen Camaros have the firewall to strut tower braces.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
Old 10-26-2017, 10:41 PM   #22
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
This begs the question why GM didn't engineer one for the ZL1 convertible yet they feel its needed for the less powerful SS convertible???
Old 10-26-2017, 11:37 PM   #23
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Interesting debate... subscribed.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #24
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
One of the things I'd like to know concerns structural modeshapes that a brace between the two strut towers might be suppressing. I wouldn't expect any specific frequency information be disclosed, just confirmation that some frequencies/modeshapes were affected, and whether they might amount to something subliminally noticeable by a driver.

Norm
Old 10-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #25
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
One of the things I'd like to know concerns structural modeshapes that a brace between the two strut towers might be suppressing. I wouldn't expect any specific frequency information be disclosed, just confirmation that some frequencies/modeshapes were affected, and whether they might amount to something subliminally noticeable by a driver.

Norm
Yep even long term flexing/fatigue of the strut towers

Last edited by TLSTWIN; 10-31-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #26
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

It would be nice to know if there is any additional stiffening of the ZL1 convertible being how it lacks a strut tower brace that the regular SS convertible has.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #27
TLSTWIN

ZL1 VERT PICS

TOOK THESE TODAY
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #28
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Like I said before. Why no strut tower brace on the ZL1???

Closed Thread