Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
NPP exhaust, 6th vs 5th gen

Just took delivery of '17 SS convertible after selling '13 SS vert to a friend. Both have NPP. The '17 is a whole lot quieter, without any of the sputtering and gurgles of the '13. I expected all of the other differences from reader this forum and other sources, but was very surprised at how far more subdued the C6 sounds. I'm wondering if the '13 was louder by design or whether one or the other is not functioning correctly. Thanks.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Nope it's just quieter inside the cabin. Was too quiet for me so I dumped the system immediately and went MBRP

Old 04-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
My 16 2SS w/NPP does plenty of "sputtering and gurgles." I use my paddle shifters to slow down a lot instead of the brakes as long as there's no one behind me who looks like they will run into me without brake lights. I also run my exhaust set in track mode via the settings menu which I found helps.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Never heard a 5th gen NPP sounds as good as mine does. You sure you changed the exhaust to Track mode? It's electronic on the 6th gen vs vacuum controlled on the 5th gen.

Also try putting the back seats down. Definitely increases the loudness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
I pulled the fuse on day one and my '16 SS has been pretty loud, about the same as my '13 1LE. The '13 1LE did crackle and pop more...no "snaps" on either, though! lol The 16 is quieter inside, so I roll my window down a lot to "connect" with the car.

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Weege

So, I'm answering my own question to some degree. Having driven the '17 a bit more since the first post, and trying to decipher the owner's manual, it's apparent that NPP works differently in the various driving modes. It's very quiet in touring mode. If I'm understanding the manual correctly, one can change how the exhaust behaves in the various modes by going into settings on the dash display and getting into the comfort and convenience menu. There it seems you can leave the default setting where touring mode has the quietest exhaust, and the softest MRC setting, or you can specify that in touring mode the NPP can function as it does in Sport mode, etc.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
If I'm understanding the manual correctly, one can change how the exhaust behaves in the various modes by going into settings on the dash display and getting into the comfort and convenience menu. There it seems you can leave the default setting where touring mode has the quietest exhaust, and the softest MRC setting, or you can specify that in touring mode the NPP can function as it does in Sport mode, etc.
There's no customization of individual modes. What you can customize are the settings of adjustable components from Settings, Drive Mode, then Engine Sound Management, MRC, and Steering (if your car is equipped). Put simply, you can force the exhaust to Track (or whatever mode) regardless of what Drive Mode you are in (i.e. Snow/Ice, Tour, Sport, Track). Same can be done for MRC and Steering. Does that make sense?

Old 04-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Long story short.

Tour mode = Not very loud...tamer
Sport mode = Much louder. Awesome on cold startup. Great on medium to full throttle and open while just sitting. But still fairly quiet while just crusing.
Track mode = not much if any louder than Sport on full throttle, but the exhaust valves seem to open up a bit quicker. Will still be quiet while crusing.

Your initial drive in Tour mode is nothing like Sport or Track would be.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #9
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwon View Post
My 16 2SS w/NPP does plenty of "sputtering and gurgles." I use my paddle shifters to slow down a lot instead of the brakes as long as there's no one behind me who looks like they will run into me without brake lights. I also run my exhaust set in track mode via the settings menu which I found helps.
Exactly!
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
Weege

Responding to SuperSound: Yes, I see that Track setting for NPP and MRC and steering can be forced, as you stated, in any mode using the settings options via the display panel. My question is whether those settings remain in place until changed, or are they limited to one drive. It seems that one can edit each mode (ie Touring, Sport, Track) to have any of the various settings for exhaust, steering, and MRC desired. For example, I can set Touring to have the Track exhaust and steering, but the Touring MRC settings if that's my preference. If I set it that way and then switch between modes, will my changed settings for Touring remain in that configuration until I chose to change them? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
SuperSound

Quote:
Responding to SuperSound: Yes, I see that Track setting for NPP and MRC and steering can be forced, as you stated, in any mode using the settings options via the display panel. My question is whether those settings remain in place until changed, or are they limited to one drive. It seems that one can edit each mode (ie Touring, Sport, Track) to have any of the various settings for exhaust, steering, and MRC desired. For example, I can set Touring to have the Track exhaust and steering, but the Touring MRC settings if that's my preference. If I set it that way and then switch between modes, will my changed settings for Touring remain in that configuration until I chose to change them? Thanks.
Yes they will stay forced until you change it. The only way it will "reset" is if the car loses power for a long time I believe.

But you cannot change settings for individual Drive Modes. For example, you change Engine Sound Management to the Track setting. Now NPP will stay in Track setting for all drive modes. So if you switch from Tour to Sport via the Drive Mode Selector, the NPP will be in Track setting regardless. Think of those settings for Engine Sound Management, MRC, and Steering as "overrides". If you take any of them off Auto, you force that setting for every Drive Mode.

Just to be clear. There are Drive Modes - via the selector switch just below the shifter.

Then there are Drive Mode Settings - changed via myLink, then Settings.

Two of the things you cannot change are Throttle Progression and Shift Performance (only autos). Those settings are locked to the Drive Modes.

Hope this helps. It's confusing right now but after you play with it in the actual car...easier to understand.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #12
Weege

Thanks very much. That's a lot clearer than the owner's manual. So just to confirm my understanding and maybe help others: Mine has a manual trans, so I can alter NPP, steering effort, and ride stiffness (via MRC). If, for example, I go to settings in MyLink and set NPP, to track, steering to sport, and MRC to touring, then I've overridden all settings and nothing will change if I course thru the driving modes. Is that right? Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
SuperSound

Quote:
Thanks very much. That's a lot clearer than the owner's manual. So just to confirm my understanding and maybe help others: Mine has a manual trans, so I can alter NPP, steering effort, and ride stiffness (via MRC). If, for example, I go to settings in MyLink and set NPP, to track, steering to sport, and MRC to touring, then I've overridden all settings and nothing will change if I course thru the driving modes. Is that right? Thanks again.
Yep only thing that will change with the Drive Modes in your case is the throttle. Just use Sport mode since that one won't revert when you turn the car off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tags
exhaust soumd, npp