Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
GuitarJozz

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarJozz
Soooo.... Check engine light came on...

So my 2012 2LS threw the CEL light at me the other day, and since then the remote start stopped working, which I had installed after I bought the car. Didn't have a chance to take it to the dealer until today. I'm going to make time today to take it up this afternoon. I've driven it to work and other places, and it seemed to be running fine though.

My brother works at the dealer, and said that they've had some Camaro's in that had timing belt issues, where they have to basically rip the front end apart and usually take the engine out(presumably to make it easier to work on). Since he told me this, I did notice that my Camaro seems to be shifting a little bit rougher, and perhaps a bit sooner than normal, but other than that, nothing seems wrong. It is due for an oil change as well.

I just wanted to know if maybe someone has had their Camaro in for something to do with the timing chain, and could let me know what to expect? This is the first time I've had to take it to the dealer for anything other than an oil change. Based on what I described, does a timing chain problem sound about right? Or could it be something else?

Oh, and my Camaro is still bone stock(plan on getting an SS sometime in the future), so there's no mods that could be affecting anything.

Thanks!
GuitarJozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
1hevy_chevy

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2016 6M 2SS
did you turn it off and on again
1hevy_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
outlaw88

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT RS Red Hot
I'd see what the CEL code is and then you can make a more accurate assessment from there. I just go to my local Advance Auto Parts store and they'll hook up their device and provide you with the code it's throwing for free.
outlaw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJozz View Post
So my 2012 2LS threw the CEL light at me the other day, and since then the remote start stopped working, which I had installed after I bought the car. Didn't have a chance to take it to the dealer until today. I'm going to make time today to take it up this afternoon. I've driven it to work and other places, and it seemed to be running fine though.

My brother works at the dealer, and said that they've had some Camaro's in that had timing belt issues, where they have to basically rip the front end apart and usually take the engine out(presumably to make it easier to work on). Since he told me this, I did notice that my Camaro seems to be shifting a little bit rougher, and perhaps a bit sooner than normal, but other than that, nothing seems wrong. It is due for an oil change as well.

I just wanted to know if maybe someone has had their Camaro in for something to do with the timing chain, and could let me know what to expect? This is the first time I've had to take it to the dealer for anything other than an oil change. Based on what I described, does a timing chain problem sound about right? Or could it be something else?

Oh, and my Camaro is still bone stock(plan on getting an SS sometime in the future), so there's no mods that could be affecting anything.

Thanks!
GuitarJozz,

Sorry that your stock Camaro LS has an active check engine light. I understand the concern when dealing with a matter like this. Although you're seeking opinions from others, I'd be happy to communicate your concerns with the Customer Experience Managers (CEM) at your GM dealer of choice. Please know that you're welcome to message us privately if you would like to discuss this further, or if you simply want this matter documented.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
I bought a very inexpensive code reader at Costco a few years ago. Cost less than $25 and I've read codes for a bunch of different cars for my family. Best investment I made for a tool. Just Googled the codes that the reader spit out and see if it's a simple fix before having to take it to a shop.
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
Droptopscott

Drives: 2014 1lt rs convertible
Any time you have a cel it will disable remote start.
Droptopscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
If I'm not mistaken the timing chain issue was specific to early LLT engines....
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
GuitarJozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
GuitarJozz,

Sorry that your stock Camaro LS has an active check engine light. I understand the concern when dealing with a matter like this. Although you're seeking opinions from others, I'd be happy to communicate your concerns with the Customer Experience Managers (CEM) at your GM dealer of choice. Please know that you're welcome to message us privately if you would like to discuss this further, or if you simply want this matter documented.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you William, but I already took it to my Chevy dealer yesterday, and received word that it needed a PCM reprogram, for the fuel rail pressure sensor I guess. Anyone had to have that done to their car? What exactly does that mean?

It was kind of funny though, on the way up to the dealer, which is about a 20 minute drive, the check engine light was on the whole way. I got there, parked, and turned off the car. They told me to drive it to the service area, and when I got back in and started it, the check engine light was off! It was on the whole way there, and for about a week before I was able to take it there, and then it shuts off when I get there. Doesn't stuff like that always seem to happen? lol.

In any case, I'm glad I took it in and they hopefully fixed whatever the issue was. I will be picking it up tomorrow most likely. I'm hoping that I did do some more research and you are right jkchambless, the timing chain issue was only for early Camaro's, with the LLT V6.

I might have to look into one of those cheap engine code readers for the future though, seems like it would definitely come in handy!

Can't wait to get my car back though, even if it's only been one day, haha.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
jpimlott

Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE Red Hot Camaro
When my CEL popped on my my Camaro I just hit the little blue button and onstar said it a fuel evap leaking issue. I took care on the next oil change. Kinda neat knowing it was not a major problem before driving the car at all.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJozz View Post
Thank you William, but I already took it to my Chevy dealer yesterday, and received word that it needed a PCM reprogram, for the fuel rail pressure sensor I guess. Anyone had to have that done to their car? What exactly does that mean?

It was kind of funny though, on the way up to the dealer, which is about a 20 minute drive, the check engine light was on the whole way. I got there, parked, and turned off the car. They told me to drive it to the service area, and when I got back in and started it, the check engine light was off! It was on the whole way there, and for about a week before I was able to take it there, and then it shuts off when I get there. Doesn't stuff like that always seem to happen? lol.

In any case, I'm glad I took it in and they hopefully fixed whatever the issue was. I will be picking it up tomorrow most likely. I'm hoping that I did do some more research and you are right jkchambless, the timing chain issue was only for early Camaro's, with the LLT V6.

I might have to look into one of those cheap engine code readers for the future though, seems like it would definitely come in handy!

Can't wait to get my car back though, even if it's only been one day, haha.
Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I definitely understand the frustration of a CEL going off when you get to the dealer. It provokes facial expressions like . In any case, great to see that you had the dealership take a deeper look into this. You may already have the vehicle back, and if so, feel free to let me know how the car operates as you continue to drive it.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
BA RS
Big B

Drives: 2016 2SS Summit White
Well mine just went in to the shop for the second time for the same codes. First they said the Eco just needed to be updated so they did that and then yesterday the engine light came back on. So they said that if it did come back on then it was something internal. I mentioned that I had heard that this was an issue with this engine and the dealer said yes that they have been seen more as of lately. However my warranty was up last year and I didn't realize it because I bought my car used and I am still under 100k. So we will see what the outcome is. Is till think that if it's known issue that gm should cover it regardless. Just my opinion.

2016 2SS,NPP exhauset, A8, Black and White interior, black rims, black center stripe.
BA RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
GuitarJozz

I agree that, regardless if your warranty is up, if it's a documented and known problem/issue that is not normal wear and tear, then it should be fixed at no cost to you. I guess that is what recalls are for though. If it's documented enough, then Chevy should do a recall and repair/mend the problem for free.

In any case, good luck with your issue! Hopefully they fix it for you!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
timing belt issue is for LLT 2010 2011
Old 02-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
So ya i know most of us know that we don't have belts we have timing chains. It was only early LLT engines that had this issue 2010 to early pre-drilled strut tower 2011's as someone else mentioned. Fuel Rail Pressure sounds alot like you let your tank get to near empty and maybe got some water in the system. I drive mine year round and what you described is all to familiar for the northeast region i'd try some dry gas next time this happens. Most frequent times this will happen is during winter after a storm or during when your fuel levels are low or you just filled up or near an oil change cycle.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote