Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #99
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylers Camaro View Post
I bought these gears and they came as just the ring and pinion. I see now that some vendors have them with installation kits with seals and stuff. Do I need to buy that installation kit or can I just take the ring and pinion to a shop and have it installed? I've seen some people say that you don't need it so that's why I'm asking. My car is a manual V6 and would have around only 8,000 miles when I get them installed.
Yes Apex offers a partial and a full install kit.

I think my car only had between 5-6K miles when it got gears and I was able to save a few bucks and use the partial kit (re-use the axle seals). Its been 3yrs and no issues.

It's a judgment call and could be a "pay me now or pay me later" situation. Either way, I'd provide the parts needed for your car when you go to get your gears installed.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #100
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
3.73 is a great gear in the V6s. You should consider doing it while you have the diff out.
I'll bet they would be a hoot with the V6
Old 11-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #101
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I've been very happy with mine- that was provided by Mr. Chase at Apex Motorsports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylers Camaro View Post
I bought these gears and they came as just the ring and pinion. I see now that some vendors have them with installation kits with seals and stuff. Do I need to buy that installation kit or can I just take the ring and pinion to a shop and have it installed? I've seen some people say that you don't need it so that's why I'm asking. My car is a manual V6 and would have around only 8,000 miles when I get them installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post
Definitely should replace all the bearings, seals, shims, etc.
It all should come in the installation kit.
I would never reuse the ring and pinion bearings especially since you have to press off the inner pinion bearing and be damaged.
I wouldn't even do a job with out replacing all them. I usually buy two inner pinion bearings, I make the one bigger (to slide it on an off the pinion), makes it easier to set the pinion dept.

"APEX" should be able to provide you with all you need , an info.
Absolutely. There are components that are one time use and have to be replaced. At 8000k miles a partial kit would be fine but if it were my own car I would use a full kit simply because installing all new parts would make me feel warm and fuzzy. Its like an OCD thing.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #102
GuitarJozz

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarJozz
There's definitely some great info in this topic, but I would like to point out, as Jason@JacFab posted on the first page, you are missing the info for the 2LS Camaros. Not all stock V6's come with a 3.27 ratio. The 2LS has 2.92. So if you could edit the topic to change for this fact, and perhaps add some info on the 2LS if you can find any, or if anyone can add it if they have done a swap with the 2LS, it would be greatly appreciated for those of us who have a 2LS. I'd be interested in seeing some numbers and more info on the 2LS's gearing.

Just wanted to point this out, and also thank you for making this topic. This site is the best car forum I've ever visited, and it's because of topics like this!
GuitarJozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #103
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJozz View Post
There's definitely some great info in this topic, but I would like to point out, as Jason@JacFab posted on the first page, you are missing the info for the 2LS Camaros. Not all stock V6's come with a 3.27 ratio. The 2LS has 2.92. So if you could edit the topic to change for this fact, and perhaps add some info on the 2LS if you can find any, or if anyone can add it if they have done a swap with the 2LS, it would be greatly appreciated for those of us who have a 2LS. I'd be interested in seeing some numbers and more info on the 2LS's gearing.

Just wanted to point this out, and also thank you for making this topic. This site is the best car forum I've ever visited, and it's because of topics like this!
Also note that the 2LS rear end is somehow different from the LT automatic rear ends. And yes, not just the 2.92 gears.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #104
chevy27

Drives: ls3 camaro ss
Swaping gears 3.91only dose it requier a tune
chevy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #105
TECHTURTLE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy27 View Post
Not a tune, but it does require a tuner to go in and re-calibrate your speedometer. If not you'll be off by around 10 MPH on the highway and your mileage will go up faster.

Having mine done cost 200 bucks.

Added
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GM 1LE Sway Bars, BMR Upper/Lower Trailing Arms, BMR Upper Control Arms. BMR Front/Rear Chassis Braces, BMR Tunnel Brace. GM Red knee Pads, GM Black Front Splitter, GM SEMA Concept Grille, GM Dark Taillights, GM Ground Effects package... Savini Di Forza BM-14 Gloss Black Wheels 9's front, 10's rear.
TECHTURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #106
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHTURTLE View Post
Not a tune, but it does require a tuner to go in and re-calibrate your speedometer. If not you'll be off by around 10 MPH on the highway and your mileage will go up faster.
This. Your Chevy dealer can do it.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #107
pc.games1991

Drives: camaro ls 2013
hi i have a 2014 2ss camaro i want to know what gears come stock ,and what is my best aftermarket set of gears for rolling races like 40 mph and 60 mph i don't care about mpg i just want to run fast and also want to know how much the dealer will charge me for the labor if anyone in the forum has it done in a chevy dealer thanks
pc.games1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #108
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc.games1991 View Post
hi i have a 2014 2ss camaro i want to know what gears come stock ,and what is my best aftermarket set of gears for rolling races like 40 mph and 60 mph i don't care about mpg i just want to run fast and also want to know how much the dealer will charge me for the labor if anyone in the forum has it done in a chevy dealer thanks
Manual or automatic trans?
Old 02-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #109
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
got some money now saved for mods and have been thinking of going bigger with a cam or getting supercharged...have talk to some other members here and they recommend trying gears first. How much of a hit does the gas mileage take when adding gears? Also, when adding gears, what other parts need to be upgraded? Hey chase..might give you a call this week and get some info on gears and such this week if that's ok...thx
Old 03-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #110
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarohead View Post
got some money now saved for mods and have been thinking of going bigger with a cam or getting supercharged...have talk to some other members here and they recommend trying gears first. How much of a hit does the gas mileage take when adding gears? Also, when adding gears, what other parts need to be upgraded? Hey chase..might give you a call this week and get some info on gears and such this week if that's ok...thx
It depends on what ratio you go with and how you use your car, but with the 6 speed transmissions we have these days the impact on fuel economy is pretty minimal. Especially when you take into consideration the gains in performance. On average, 2-3 MPG reduction is a realistic expectation.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #111
96SS10SS
hates winter

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS LS3
I highly recommend swapping gears. On my 2010 SS, going with 3.91s was a no-brainer. I bought the complete kit (P/N 19301504). The awesome Chevy dealer I go to did the swap, bearing replacement and reprogram of the speedometer for around $800. My mileage increased slightly after the swap because I hardly drive on the highway. I usually start out in 2nd gear unless I want to light up the tires.
2010 2SS/RS LS3 built October 30, 2009; 416ci/6.8L forged LS3 with 495 RWHP@6k/470 TQ@4.4k; Lunati 235/243 .626"/.634" 114LSA +3; Monster LT-1S twin disc, SLP retro badges, MGW shifter/knob, Hotchkis TVS Stage 1, Pedders Street Z bushings, 3.91 Gear swap, red calipers, Z28 CAI, ZL1 side skirts/rock guards, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, SLP front splitter.
96SS10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #112
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96SS10SS View Post
I highly recommend swapping gears. On my 2010 SS, going with 3.91s was a no-brainer. I bought the complete kit (P/N 19301504). The awesome Chevy dealer I go to did the swap, bearing replacement and reprogram of the speedometer for around $800. My mileage increased slightly after the swap because I hardly drive on the highway. I usually start out in 2nd gear unless I want to light up the tires.
We have had several customers who use their cars just for weekend in town cruising that have also reported increased fuel economy.

Tags
3.73, 3.91, 4.11, gear ratio, gears swap