Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
Crowmag

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99
5th Gen to 6th Gen

Have any 5th Gen SS owners test driven the 6th Gen SS and not been that impressed? I'm trying to get an honest opinion either way. I figured if I posted this on the 6th Gen forum I would get too much of the new car excitement. It's quite the jump in price. Is the 8-10K more over the previous gen worth it for what you get? Granted, prices will of course level off as time goes on.

As a side note I'm not sold on the exterior yet. I have yet to see one in person.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowmag View Post
Have any 5th Gen SS owners test driven the 6th Gen SS and not been that impressed? I'm trying to get an honest opinion either way. I figured if I posted this on the 6th Gen forum I would get too much of the new car excitement. It's quite the jump in price. Is the 8-10K more over the previous gen worth it for what you get? Granted, prices will of course level off as time goes on.

As a side note I'm not sold on the exterior yet. I have yet to see one in person.
I checked them out while at the local dealership. They're nice - very nice - if it's what you seek. I think you'll find it'll come down to choosing between a 5th generation pony car or a 6th generation sports car.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
I've seen a white one and a blue one, both had black rims. I love the front end, can live with the rear, and think the side view is just kind of bland. Hate the black rims. To the point where I just bought a new 2015 2SS/RS before they are all gone. I like the seats in the 2016's and some of the other interior changes but I'm 50/50 overall on the interior, I still like the retro analog gauges in the gen 5 and a few other gen 5 features. I won't forget how I NEVER got used to the way they sculpted the front fenders on the 1998-2002 Gen 4's. I had a '97 Z28 and kept it because to me it all starts with the looks. If the looks don't turn my crank I don't care how fast they are I won't be happy. If I get used to the Gen 6, and who knows they will make some changes over the next few years that I may like, I can always trade up. My initial reaction was except for the front end, GM could have done better. I did not get to drive one so I cannot give an opinion on that.

Last edited by songsj; 01-13-2016 at 12:53 AM.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
xrayman

Drives: 2012 RS/LT
I have not driven a Gen 6 car, I was not really impressed with the car based upon pictures on the internet. Over the Thanksgiving weekend I got the chance to see a Gen 6 SS Blk/Red interior. I honestly can say I really like the car and the performance numbers are really nice. However, if I were to looking to upgrade my current car, honestly I would look at a low mileage Zl1 I have been seeing them pretty frequently in the low to mid 40's.
xrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:46 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I drove a 2016 2SS a couple of weeks ago and yes, it is nice... very nice.

Pros: It rides great and really gets up and goes. I can't say that is feels any stronger than my '13 1SS, probably due to the MRC and the super slick 8-speed transmission, but I know it is. Very comfortable interior. Great looking dash but it's a bit busy for my liking. Sounds great and the AFM is barely noticeable.

Cons: No leg room in the back seat (though no one ever rides in my back seat). Trunk space is significantly reduced (had to take driver & 3-wood out of my golf bag to get it in). Still not crazy about the back end design. Too much stuff I don't need or want on the 2SS (HUD, "mood lighting", etc.).

I'd give the 2SS I drove a 8 out of 10 overall. It's a great car. Fun to drive. But so is mine.

Dealer has a Silver 1SS coming in in a couple of weeks and I'll go check it out, but for now... I can't see handing over my car (which I love) and $20K for a new 2SS.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #6
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
It's definitely a lot of car, but the price hike over the previous generation is a very big pill to swallow.

The only way I could see someone logically justifying it is if they think that the new exterior is much better than the old. I don't, because I think the new exterior is much too busy with unnecessary lines and creases.

The 6g doesn't perform ~$15k better than a 5g, so it has to come down to looks and they just don't do it for me.

It looks more like an import and handles more like a sports car than the outgoing platform. Neither of those are things that I'm interested in.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:06 AM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I finally got behind the wheel of a 6th Gen yesterday for the first time and here is what I thought:

Pros:
-Power, these things will scoot down the road
-Handling, MUCH improved over 5th Gen
-Selective mode, primarily for magnetic ride, but also adjusts steering and on automatics adjusts shift firmness.
-Customizable, more of a luxury, but on the 2SS you can change the interior lighting depending on mode you're in, or how you're feeling that day.
-Wireless phone charger, nice with my S6 Active.
-NPP exhaust available first year. Sounds VERY nice, especially compared to the suitcase mufflers.
-Active Rev matching, nice for when you don't want to think while driving a stick.
-8 speed automatic, goes against EVERYTHING I stand for, but I think I almost prefer the automatic. That thing will flat out move! I even scared the sales guy with how fast it went and I didn't even have it floored.
-Same power/engine for automatics and manuals
-Large touch screen for navigation and other goodies

Cons:
-Space, it is definitely smaller than 5th gens
-Engine compartment space, good luck getting headers in on the passenger side without little hands
-6 speed felt underpowered, the auto had a 2.77 rear-end, the stick a 3.73 and the automatic IMO, will spank the 6 speed in a straight line.
-Active Rev matching paddles, is this an automatic or a stick? Don't make active rev matching paddle shifters.
-Wireless phone charger, while my phone fit, the note or iPhone plus won't fit and the placement of the charger is in the backseat portion of the console
-Even less of a backseat
-Placement of center vents, if you're tall your knee will block these vents from all practical use
-Placement of vent and seat warmer/cooler controls is hard to see/use, this may be because I'm not shorter
-Skip shift lives on for another year
-My link screen angled poorly for tall people, IMO
-Parking brake button instead of handle, personal preference but I always preferred the handle.

OP, I hope this helps.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
To me, this is the Corvette I've always aspired to. The 6th gen has the bits I wanted from the Vette so it was a done deal for me.....and it's easier to get in and out of!!!!
I'll miss my 5th gen for sure, but this car is flat out amazing!
Old 01-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #9
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebernard View Post
To me, this is the Corvette I've always aspired to. The 6th gen has the bits I wanted from the Vette so it was a done deal for me.....and it's easier to get in and out of!!!!
I'll miss my 5th gen for sure, but this car is flat out amazing!
Why do you say it's easier to get in and out of ? How tall are you?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
vegas girl

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS BRM convertible
Saw them at dealership the other day....I DIDN'T drool. Hate the front....they look MEAN

2013 2LT/RS BRM Convertible
vegas girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #11
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
Never buy year 1. But yeah the price hike keeps me in my car.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #12
Alex Benavitz

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro LFX
I went to the dealership to look at the new 6th gen. I still like the classic look of my gen 5 though. The new ones look very nice and sporty with their edgy styling and sportscar-ish body. The weight reduction is definitely a plus as well as the increase in power. However, the price went up a lot and I just don't think that is worth it. The 5th gen is a great car and is too good for me to let go. Overall it's not enough to make me change.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #13
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Aside from the performance improvements which really come from a smaller car overall, I think they took the car into a new market. I can see why some love it but I don't.

Exterior, some places look good others are wtf were they thinking. I think the mid body crease that the 5th gen had should have been retained. Now the car looks too wide in the front, and narrow in the rear. The rear end ummm no thanks.

Interior, improved seats and some materials. Overall way too tech trendy, and busy. Not a fan of the interior at all but Im sure that I am in the minority on this. I prefer a minimal simple interior. The more buttons and options the less I like it. Just give me what I need, nothing more.

Push button start will make the car very very easy to steal. Better hope they improved the anti theft over the 5th. The 5th security is a complete joke.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #14
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
I love the car. My Dealership had 2. The interior of the car is what I really want though. If they could just upgrade my interior. I would be completely happy. I did drive it too, Great steering and suspension.