Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
There was a post here on Camaro5 about an aftermarket plug in hybrid engine (or something similar) that could be plugged into any car. It wasn't finalized and I don't remember how it worked, but it was said to increase the MPG by about 10 MPG.

Many people that commented on that thread were being negative towards it, but I personally think that it would be great. Imagine getting 25+ MPG in the city on a 426 horsepower beast without loosing any performance whatsoever (minus the added on weight of course).
Aftermarket hybrid engine that plugs into any car? I think you'd have more luck with gasoline pills...at least those are cheaper.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #16
fielderLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by janny View Post
You know what is the problem with us we need perfection in all matters we need power, speed and good mileage at the same time is it possible now? I am not saying about the future but if you need good milage so we have to reduce the power am I right or not?
Power, fuel economy, affordability. You can choose two.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I think that's because the ATS is geared and wears tires for performance in the 3.6L trim...the Camaro, in contrast, is geared for and shod in fuel economy tires.

With a similar treatment...I wonder if the ATS 3.6 wouldn't get 31-32mpg...
Actually, the final drive ratio is the same between the two if my memory is correct (3.27) so I too am a bit surprised the ATS does not have a small MPG advantage. Only the 2LS Camaro has highway MPG rating of 30 because it has a 2.92 final drive ratio. Other V6 Camaros are rated at 28 MPG.

I wonder if there is something else affecting mileage for the ATS, or if the weight loss really doesn't help mileage much?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
fielderLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Actually, the final drive ratio is the same between the two if my memory is correct (3.27) so I too am a bit surprised the ATS does not have a small MPG advantage. Only the 2LS Camaro has highway MPG rating of 30 because it has a 2.92 final drive ratio. Other V6 Camaros are rated at 28 MPG.

I wonder if there is something else affecting mileage for the ATS, or if the weight loss really doesn't help mileage much?
Keep in mind that just because a car loses mileage compared to another on the EPA test doesn't mean there is actually a difference in the real world. The EPA tests are inaccurate, and since car makers are more often trusted to run the test themselves (see Hyundai/Kia), they are almost not even useful for comparative purposes.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #19

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Keep in mind that just because a car loses mileage compared to another on the EPA test doesn't mean there is actually a difference in the real world. The EPA tests are inaccurate, and since car makers are more often trusted to run the test themselves (see Hyundai/Kia), they are almost not even useful for comparative purposes.
I agree that the mileage numbers used to satisfy the CAFE or EPA or whatever is getting more and more disconnected from what customers really see.

Especially for the V-8s, more and more gimmicky features...AFM, 1st to 4th, etc., are used to get high mileage numbers to satisfy the gov....and can be easily by-passed or unused by the driver...

The next gen LT-1 engines will have AFM in both manual transmission and automatic transmission cars. The Vette's will have a default driving mode that doesn't include AFM being active, you'll have to choose it.

If the government actually matches what drivers get for mpg, and eliminates the gimmicks that the factory can use to get a high rating, I think the party will really be over...lol...

Last edited by 90503; 05-25-2013 at 10:05 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #21
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Aftermarket hybrid engine that plugs into any car? I think you'd have more luck with gasoline pills...at least those are cheaper.
haha yea. The site was somewhat sketchy. It would be nice if it were true though!
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Wonder if the manual tranny will have 7 as well?
Already does, 1-6 and reverse
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
We're stuck with 14.7:1 fuel/air mixture. Big engines suck in more air which in turn needs more fuel. So displacement works against you. Therefore to get the best fuel economy you need smaller displacement. Turbo/blower engine would be one method, AFM the other. Either would need to be supplemented with reduced weight and better aerodynamics.

In either case, in part throttle it would run on reduced displacement, getting your 30 mpg. The turbo/blower effectively increases displacement by forcing in more air, so your 3.5 liter can be a 6 liter with boost. AFM of course just reduces/add cylinders.

I think GM should raise the price of Camaros (or at least the V8 models) to limit their numbers and play the CAFE averaging game that way. This would keep the cars at higher margins/quality/performance. Create a different fuel economy oriented car for the buyers that are about fuel economy eg Cruze SS, 130R etc.

BMW eventually went the turbo route. I hate AFM myself, so I would rather have a turbo v-6 or pay a gas guzzler tax when buying the v-8.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #24
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
Already does, 1-6 and reverse
Lol smartass. You know what I meant.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
We're stuck with 14.7:1 fuel/air mixture. Big engines suck in more air which in turn needs more fuel. So displacement works against you. Therefore to get the best fuel economy you need smaller displacement. Turbo/blower engine would be one method, AFM the other. Either would need to be supplemented with reduced weight and better aerodynamics.

In either case, in part throttle it would run on reduced displacement, getting your 30 mpg. The turbo/blower effectively increases displacement by forcing in more air, so your 3.5 liter can be a 6 liter with boost. AFM of course just reduces/add cylinders.

I think GM should raise the price of Camaros (or at least the V8 models) to limit their numbers and play the CAFE averaging game that way. This would keep the cars at higher margins/quality/performance. Create a different fuel economy oriented car for the buyers that are about fuel economy eg Cruze SS, 130R etc.

BMW eventually went the turbo route. I hate AFM myself, so I would rather have a turbo v-6 or pay a gas guzzler tax when buying the v-8.
Adding a turbo doesn't always increase fuel economy. The new GM Turbo V6 has near identical power and torque as the LS3 and gets the same gas mileage. The friction in an engine is a big determinant on fuel economy. A smaller engine might have to work harder, aka higher RPMs or throttle, than a larger engine to maintain a certain speed. In that case the increase in fuel economy might not be as noticeable because both engines could very well be using the same mass of air. The larger engine would require less throttle, and while it will "suck" in a larger volume of air for every stroke that volume of air will be at a lower pressure due to a greater pressure drop at the throttle and could be very similar in mass to that of a smaller motor using more throttle or spinning more RPMs. Also, when designing a car around turbos, the compression ratio must usually be lowered for reliability and longevity. This decreases the efficiency of the engine while it is not under load.

When the car goes into AFM mode, it may only be putting fuel into 4 cylinders, but it still has the friction of 8. Therefore, the other 4 have to work a bit harder, aka more throttle, which equals more air entering the 4 working cylinders. The only gain is you don't have as many combustion losses out of 4 cylinders vs 8 cylinders. That is why the gain in MPG seems minimal.

BMW went the turbo route mostly because it is a European based company. Most countries in Europe tax a car based on engine displacement. It's not a very fair system because nothing is an apples to apples comparison.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitman View Post
Adding a turbo doesn't always increase fuel economy. The new GM Turbo V6 has near identical power and torque as the LS3 and gets the same gas mileage. The friction in an engine is a big determinant on fuel economy. A smaller engine might have to work harder, aka higher RPMs or throttle, than a larger engine to maintain a certain speed. In that case the increase in fuel economy might not be as noticeable because both engines could very well be using the same mass of air. The larger engine would require less throttle, and while it will "suck" in a larger volume of air for every stroke that volume of air will be at a lower pressure due to a greater pressure drop at the throttle and could be very similar in mass to that of a smaller motor using more throttle or spinning more RPMs. Also, when designing a car around turbos, the compression ratio must usually be lowered for reliability and longevity. This decreases the efficiency of the engine while it is not under load.

When the car goes into AFM mode, it may only be putting fuel into 4 cylinders, but it still has the friction of 8. Therefore, the other 4 have to work a bit harder, aka more throttle, which equals more air entering the 4 working cylinders. The only gain is you don't have as many combustion losses out of 4 cylinders vs 8 cylinders. That is why the gain in MPG seems minimal.

BMW went the turbo route mostly because it is a European based company. Most countries in Europe tax a car based on engine displacement. It's not a very fair system because nothing is an apples to apples comparison.
Very interesting, makes perfect sense - thanks for explaining.

Edit: I find it interesting that my 4-cyl 1993 Toyota pickup was rated 28MPG highway and the best mileage pickup said company makes in 2013 is rated 25MPG highway. 20 years of improvements in technology, and they have DEcreased 3MPG! Perhaps they measure it differently now. But still ... come on!

This is why I rebuilt the head at 316,000 miles rather than buy a new truck.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #27
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post

Edit: I find it interesting that my 4-cyl 1993 Toyota pickup was rated 28MPG highway and the best mileage pickup said company makes in 2013 is rated 25MPG highway. 20 years of improvements in technology, and they have DEcreased 3MPG! Perhaps they measure it differently now. But still ... come on!

Also 20 more years of govt saftey regulations that require the trucks to be heavier and 20 years of consumers demanding more and more stuff in their trucks.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #28
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post

The new one is much bigger and heavier than the old one.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation