Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
Eldnearb
Chevy for life...

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS Black
Send a message via MSN to Eldnearb Send a message via Yahoo to Eldnearb
I need your thoughts...

I went to Mr. Lube and got an oil change and undercoating (wax). All finished driving home and the car stops responding. No response to pushing on the accelerator, like it was studdering. I pulled over and she stalled out. I could turn over the engine but it wasn't responding well to revving the engine and if I stopped trying to rev it, she would stall. I waited about 5 minutes and tried again and it was a bit better as long as I kept the RPM above 1K. Otherwise the idle would stop and stall. after I got home I let the car cool and then started it again and it ran fine for about 15 minutes but I never drove it just idle.

Ideas? what did they do to my car......ahhhhhh

Jeff
Eldnearb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Any lube chain is in business solely to rip people off. Anonymous employees have revealed that this is part of their training: They don't make any money off of the oil change (its purpose is to draw customers in), but they DO make money off of "discovering" other things that need to be repaired, from $35 wiper blades, to $700 Fetzer valve rebuilds.

It is NOT out of the realm of possibility that they could/ would sabotage your car: Stuff something into your air intake, pour water into your oil fill tube, whatever... then, when you return, they can offer you a repair, at a "discount" even.

I won't chide you for going to the chain lube joint (count on the scolding from posts that follow, though!). We all need to go somewhere to get that oil changed. And, it's not a rip- off every time: For $20 (or whatever), as long as you don't agree that your diff pumpkin MUST get a re- lacquering today, you are good to go. Usually.

My advice would be to go to another mechanic, see what his opinion might be.

(You might even consider going to another Mr. Lube location... when they discover a rag stuffed into your air intake, it'll be hard for the first Mr. Lube to deny it. Years ago, before I learned of the hazards of chain places, I had Midas Brakes ROYALLY screw up a brake job, but would NOT acknowledge it. So I took it to ANOTHER Midas location, asked them what was wrong with my brakes. They documented dozens of things that "whoever worked on your brakes before" had done wrong. Went back to the first Midas location, and they had no choice but to refund every penny to me.)

Last edited by Scalded Dog; 10-26-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Why would you allow someone to spray hot goop on the underside of your car? There are wires and sensors there.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
fatmatt5

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LT
I agree with Scalded Dog. Easy to get ripped off at those Chain Places. Years ago I had a '95 GMC Jimmy that one day started leaking all of it's oil out. Took it to a Midas that was close by my house, and they told me that the "oil lines had been cut" presumably by some evil henchman of some kind. They said it would cost $600 to fix. Instead, I put it on a trailer and took it home to work on it. Turns out, one of the clamps keeping the lines hooked up under the car had just rusted out and fallen off. Cost me 11 cents at Napa to buy a new clamp. and 10 minutes to fix it.

#ripoff
fatmatt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
never ever put that crap underneath my car...
i like to polish under there lol
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #7
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Why would you allow someone to spray hot goop on the underside of your car? There are wires and sensors there.
I agree, wouldn't surprise me that whatever they sprayed got into and/or damaged something.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
I agree, wouldn't surprise me that whatever they sprayed got into and/or damaged something.
... on the other hand... about 75% of what these places SAY that they did (and charge ya for) they never even do at all, so the good news is that it's likely they did not even spray anything under there!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
sounds like something got wet.....
Old 10-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Check your oil cap... check your spark plug wires... check for loose hoses and stuff like that. Check your MAF sensor connections.

From what you're describing... maybe a vacuum leak? A bad or busted sensor? If the car isn't shaking, perhaps not so much plug related.

Hope you find the fix.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Wouldn't surprise me if they forgot to put ANY oil in your crankcase. Check your dipstick before starting again. Alternately, they could have put the oil filter on loose, or not at all, and all the oil they did put in drained out.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:53 AM   #12
snappymilli

Drives: bmw
i like to polish under there lol
snappymilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #13
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
OP, I was afraid you were going to say the shop never replaced the oil and the engine seized.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #14
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if they forgot to put ANY oil in your crankcase. Check your dipstick before starting again. Alternately, they could have put the oil filter on loose, or not at all, and all the oil they did put in drained out.
That happened to me last winter. My truck needed an oil change and it was too cold so I said screw it and went to an oil change place and found that oil was dripping from the filter. Never again and the camaro will never, EVER go to one of those places.