Thread Closed

Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
It's public knowledge so here's some facts to consider:

GM regained #1 manufacturer status recently (and already lost it), but even while it was #1, it was further down in the standings for profitability. What good is it being #1 in manufacturing if your profit margins are so small? Auto manufacturers that are a fraction of the size of GM had higher net profits than GM... that shows that we're doing something wrong.

Because of that, GM's new strategy is to not offload vehicles to the rental and fleet sales. Offloading vehicles like that devalues them, floods the market.

So yes - GM has lost market share... because it's not flooding the market by offloading their vehicles to rental and fleet sales at cut throat pricing. That's what got the "old" GM into the mess that caused the bankruptcy last time. The "who cares if we off load these cars to XYZ Rental at a $5 loss per unit as long as we're the #1 manufacturer" mentality doesn't fly anymore. In the meantime, all that people see is "less marketshare" or "no longer the #1 manufacturer" but they don't realize that it's because GM is actually following a positive strategy for once.

And yes - stocks are sliding, there's no denying that. I honestly have no clue why. It boggles my mind. GM posts record profits and the stocks decline. GM posts sales higher than expectations, the stock declines. Frankly, the anti-GM sentiment that the rest of the country has because of the bankruptcy and US Government *loan* just seems to put the odds against us. And that's where it's frustrating - the rest of the country wants General Motors to fail. Look at the responses in this thread already. If GM fails, then it really is the US taxpayers that are out all that money. But if GM prospers, if GM's stock actually were to go up enough, the US government could cash out of that stock ownership at a profit. It's VERY slim odds of that happening, but it's the stock market and anything's possible, right?

And that's where I sit here dumbfounded when I see these threads and replies. It's our tax payer money. We should be doing everything we can to cheer GM on. To do better. To make better cars than the rest. To sell at higher profits. To be the #1 auto company. We're all invested in GM whether some like it or not, if we got the stock prices high enough the US Government could cash out and it'd no longer be "Government" Motors.
Just want to say....GM sales were up 3% in the last quarter....and profit was obliterated and dropped 41%.

That is a hard, undebatable, set in stone fact.

Still wondering why stock is slipping?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSStopper View Post
Just want to say....GM sales were up 3% in the last quarter....and profit was obliterated and dropped 41%.

No profits = Unions!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #31
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Can't disagree with that. They did better than analysts predicted, though.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
Old 08-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #32
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:

Where are you getting this data? Sales were flat Q1 to Q2 37.7 billion to 37.6 billion and net income was up from 1,315 billion, to 1,846 billion
Old 08-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #33
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended

Drives: Green Dream Machine
Quote:
Oh yay, another factless report by a biased media outlet making widespread assumptions. Glad to see websites like that still don't have any idea what they're talking about. Yes, GM's stock is down compared to the IPO... but to make the leap to say it's going bankrupt again is just absurd.

Furthermore - GM coming out with vehicles that are noncompetitive? Wow - how ignorant is that? One look at the ATS and we know the Blaze's noncompetitive claim is debunked. And that's ignoring the fact that the Camaro has been highly successful since launch.

Edit: Weren't you the same guy who posted some other stupid article bashing GM before? Why do you fall for these articles every time and then post them here? If you're so anti-GM, go buy a Toyota.
Don't forget about the Equinox, Malibu, and Cruze all selling like wildfire.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #34
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Where are you getting this data? Sales were flat Q1 to Q2 37.7 billion to 37.6 billion and Net income was up from 1,315 billion, to 1,846 billion
I just did a quick google search since I honestly don't pay *too* much attention to the quarter by quarter results:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...81f37074b2051f

Although that article also states that in addition to GM's net profit slumping 41%, Ford's slumped 57...

I will definitely say that I have faith in Akerson - he seems like he really knows what he's talking about.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"

Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #35
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
I just did a quick google search since I honestly don't pay *too* much attention to the quarter by quarter results:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...81f37074b2051f

Although that article also states that in addition to GM's net profit slumping 41%, Ford's slumped 57...
That's going 2011 Q2 to 2012 Q2, I'm talking about 2012 Q1 to 2012 Q2. And the way I read the posted from the poster he was talking Q1 to Q2.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #36
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended

Drives: Green Dream Machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss My SS View Post
No profits = Unions!
Beg to differ... John Deere keeps breaking their profit records and they're a union company.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #37
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Quote:
That's going 2011 Q2 to 2012 Q2, I'm talking about 2012 Q1 to 2012 Q2.
Again, I'm not into the financials that much so I'm not 100% up to par on all of it, but isn't year to year comparison more accurate for performance than Q1 to Q2?

"Gone But Not Forgotten"

Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #38
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Again, I'm not into the financials that much so I'm not 100% up to par on all of it, but isn't year to year comparison more accurate for performance than Q1 to Q2?
Somewhat, but again I was only replying as I thought he was talking Q1 to Q2. Profits have actually increased each of the past 2 quarters even with sales baing somewhat flat.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #39
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
All of the GM fan boys need to calm down and just discuss this like civilized people...no one knows what the future holds for the company! It is doing well now, but who knows where it will be a year or two from now!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #40
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
The Blaze didn't write the article, they merely dissected, and spun, a Forbes article.

The original Forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswoo...kruptcy-again/

And another view, from another Forbes contributor: http://www.forbes.com/sites/michelin...its-own-fault/
Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #41
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
In an effort to add some good news, GM stock is surging today, up 3.33% currently
Old 08-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #42
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Somewhat, but again I was only replying as I thought he was talking Q1 to Q2. Profits have actually increased each of the past 3 quarters even with sales baing somewhat flat.
Apologies for the confusion.

I was comparing last year Q2 to this year Q2. It's a more accurate way than Q1 to Q2.

My source was Autoline Daily, but Google will confirm that as others stated.
Closed Thread