Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Knein

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue M6 NPP/Mag
Electric Camaro?

I know the purist out there are going to hate on this, but not everyone is in it for the sound.

Is there any chance Chevy/GM are working on a Camaro/Corvette equivalent EV?

I love my 2SS, but it costs a lot for maintenance and gas, so an EV version would be fun to have as well. Same great looks, but easier on the pocket as a daily driver. If Tesla can do it, why can't GM?
Knein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I'm sure eventually its gonna be the standard
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knein View Post
I know the purist out there are going to hate on this, but not everyone is in it for the sound.

Is there any chance Chevy/GM are working on a Camaro/Corvette equivalent EV?

I love my 2SS, but it costs a lot for maintenance and gas, so an EV version would be fun to have as well. Same great looks, but easier on the pocket as a daily driver. If Tesla can do it, why can't GM?
It's more a matter of when, not if. ICE will go away and sooner than some think... For the most part, anyways. I don't know if we'll see strict rules preventing most from owning ICE after some point... But, more and more mfgs are pushing to be mostly or fully eV by the mid 2020s and that's less than 10yrs out.

I wouldn't have an issue with an all electric vehicle, assuming it's done properly and still is comparatively sporty. There's a lot of things you can do with an eV that you can't do with an ICE car.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS
I think the better question is if they’ll do a hybrid, or skip the hybrid.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Mr. Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron27 View Post
I think the better question is if they’ll do a hybrid, or skip the hybrid.
I've been wondering that as well... I think when the MidEngine Vette comes out and we see if it has any sort of electric assist or not will help determine.. Sorta like how other mid/rear engines have been doing in their fleets.

Though, I suppose they could skip that... What I think would be trick is if the MidEngine Vette was gas rear drive and electric front drive.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
nicktechla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
I've been wondering that as well... I think when the MidEngine Vette comes out and we see if it has any sort of electric assist or not will help determine.. Sorta like how other mid/rear engines have been doing in their fleets.

Though, I suppose they could skip that... What I think would be trick is if the MidEngine Vette was gas rear drive and electric front drive.
as the tech gets better, more power, less weight, etc, I imagine cars without electric assist won't be able to keep up.
-- Past --
Old 11-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Mr. Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
as the tech gets better, more power, less weight, etc, I imagine cars without electric assist won't be able to keep up.
At some point, yep.. They still have a ways to go, but, in terms of household RC toys.. I remember having to wait 5-6 hours for a battery pack to charge up to get something like 15-30m of actual play time with it.

Compared to charging and usage times today for drones, rc toys, etc.. that's the damn stone age.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
It's coming, the biggest issue with electric only vehicles is the lack of infrastructure. I'm in rural North Dakota, if most small towns don't have a method I could rapidly charge my electric car, it wouldn't be economical to own one. I'm excited to see what GM comes out with. I'm also excited to see more electric vehicles hitting 400+ miles of range. I'm sure the big three will have their electric performance models out before 2025.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
nicktechla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
At some point, yep.. They still have a ways to go, but, in terms of household RC toys.. I remember having to wait 5-6 hours for a battery pack to charge up to get something like 15-30m of actual play time with it.

Compared to charging and usage times today for drones, rc toys, etc.. that's the damn stone age.
totally. I have RC helicopters and cars, once brushless and LiPo came out, it was game over nitro. The electric choppers have an insane power to weight ratio over the nitro ones.
-- Past --
Old 11-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #10
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I do RC planes and heli's too. The electric stuff is convenient, but there is no free lunch. The batteries definitely have a certain life to them, they arent really that cheap and run times are restricted. For auto uses, where is all the extra electricity to charge everyone's cars... going to come from? I think the electric cars are a novelty for now. Battery technology has got to be a lot better than it is now, for it to be main stream. Tesla's are awesome, but then again a $100k plus should be.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
O.P., I can tell you that Chevrolet and several colleges/universities are already testing electric power only in a Camaro, at least Georgia Tech is. GT brought theirs to November Caffiene and Octane in Atlanta. They do indeed have a ways to go but they were driving it. The whole trunk of this 6th gen was packed full of the operating system. I should have taken a picture for all of you so sorry about that.
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
if you could make one that could run directly off of sunlight,use batteries to charge/store electricity produced by solar cells and not have to plug into the grid every night,and make it look/feel sporty you would have a winner.it could happen in another 30 years i think.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
Knein

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue M6 NPP/Mag
More electric Camaro

I just don't understand why they think everyone that wants an electric car wants a weird little hatchback thing or a sedan. Some of us want more sporty options.

Please GM, make this
Knein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #14
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knein View Post
I just don't understand why they think everyone that wants an electric car wants a weird little hatchback thing or a sedan. Some of us want more sporty options.

Please GM, make this
Totally agree. The Bolt is an awesome car. But why did GM style it to look like a jellybean on wheels?
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote