Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 10-30-2023, 10:38 AM   #43
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 6 View Post
I get your point.

I thought I had a really good relationship with my dealer, and gave him several opportunities along the way to bail on my order if he felt he would not get an allocation. He assured me he would get one so I hung in there. My mistake to trust him.

As for Chevy's culpability in this: In my opinion, it is a flawed system that fulfills orders for 2024 models ordered in August when there are standing orders for 2023s that were ordered 5 months before and not fulfilled.
And see, I would 100000% agree with you on this note. People who were in line first, should never get skipped, regardless of why UNLESS, they are requesting something super specific/special (such as a super limited color/convertible/etc).

As for the dealership angle, I can certainly understand that as well. This is why I've never committed to any kind of relationships with dealers. I always look for the best deal period, even if I like a place. My first ZL1 was through a local place here (found on Cargurus ironically). They did me well, but they didn't get my business for the 2nd ZL1, because they were screwing around with prices....despite the fact that I'll probably still use them for the service on the new ZL1 because they actually did great work.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:45 AM   #44
Cam 6

Drives: 2018 Colorado ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
And see, I would 100000% agree with you on this note. People who were in line first, should never get skipped, regardless of why UNLESS, they are requesting something super specific/special (such as a super limited color/convertible/etc).

As for the dealership angle, I can certainly understand that as well. This is why I've never committed to any kind of relationships with dealers. I always look for the best deal period, even if I like a place. My first ZL1 was through a local place here (found on Cargurus ironically). They did me well, but they didn't get my business for the 2nd ZL1, because they were screwing around with prices....despite the fact that I'll probably still use them for the service on the new ZL1 because they actually did great work.
Enjoy that ZL1

Agreed. The only way the allocation process makes sense is for new car inventory. If a dealer has ordered more Camaros in the previous year that dealer should get more when buying to stock inventory for the new model year.

Chevrolet is willfully deciding to exclude dealers and customers from smaller markets when they place a custom order for a car. That's a bad way to do business.
Cam 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:49 AM   #45
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Enjoy that ZL1

Agreed. The only way the allocation process makes sense is for new car inventory. If a dealer has ordered more Camaros in the previous year that dealer should get more when buying to stock inventory for the new model year.

Chevrolet is willfully deciding to exclude dealers and customers from smaller markets when they place a custom order for a car. That's a bad way to do business.
Same thing happened with the Hellcat crowd. Dealerships that ordered more, got more, and many of those even had to fight to get 1-2 cars too...

Still a lot of cars out there to be found online if you're still wanting one, even if you're feeling screwed over. Autotempest/Cargurus has a ton still...

Ironically, my 2nd ZL1 only arrived last week from Cargurus..
Old 10-30-2023, 11:07 AM   #46
Cam 6

Quote:
Same thing happened with the Hellcat crowd. Dealerships that ordered more, got more, and many of those even had to fight to get 1-2 cars too...

Still a lot of cars out there to be found online if you're still wanting one, even if you're feeling screwed over. Autotempest/Cargurus has a ton still...

Ironically, my 2nd ZL1 only arrived last week from Cargurus..
Thanks for the tip, but I already bought something else. I did search Chevy inventory on October 20th but could not find a suitable replacement (missing equipment) for the LT1 I had ordered.

Some people would go to the ends of the earth to just get a Camaro, no matter how equipped or where it is located.. I like them, but there were limits to the hoops I will jump through to get one.

Again. enjoy your ZL1!
Old 10-30-2023, 02:13 PM   #47
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I'm going to disagree with your sentiment. Personally, it sounds like your dealership failed you, not GM/Chevy. Now, you can make the argument that Chevy screwed around the Camaro production, etc, etc, and you'd be correct. However, that's your dealership's responsibility to address those issues, and if they legit don't think it can happen, to get you the 2nd best option.
Just as a side note, not wanting to hijack the discussion, but when your only way to obtain a new vehicle is via the dealership network that is run to GM's rules (including their allocation strategy), the distinction between GM and its dealerships is less than authoritative. Sure, they aren't the same entities, but in many ways they are at least symbiotic.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 02:17 PM   #48
riversidess1le

Drives: 2024 1SS 1LE 10/30 TPW
Trying to make sense of any manufacturers allocation system is not easy but it often comes down to the district/zone share of nation. If certain model lines represent a disproportionate percentage of the district/zone sales and production of those models is down then the share of nation decreases. This then effects the entire areas earn and not just specific models. Selling a lot of any one model in the prior year doesn't necessarily translate into earning more allocation of that model. It doesn't always make sense but these formulas are extrmeely complex.
riversidess1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 02:40 PM   #49
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Just as a side note, not wanting to hijack the discussion, but when your only way to obtain a new vehicle is via the dealership network that is run to GM's rules (including their allocation strategy), the distinction between GM and its dealerships is less than authoritative. Sure, they aren't the same entities, but in many ways they are at least symbiotic.
Symbiotic. Perfect description.

The lack of execution therefore stains the reputation of both of them.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:56 PM   #50
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversidess1le View Post
Trying to make sense of any manufacturers allocation system is not easy but it often comes down to the district/zone share of nation. If certain model lines represent a disproportionate percentage of the district/zone sales and production of those models is down then the share of nation decreases. This then effects the entire areas earn and not just specific models. Selling a lot of any one model in the prior year doesn't necessarily translate into earning more allocation of that model. It doesn't always make sense but these formulas are extrmeely complex.
Thanks for the input.

Prioritizing the building and delivering of cars for buyers that ordered 5 months after another customer will never make sense to me.

I'm sure money has something to do with it, but if you lose a customer forever what has really been accomplished?
Old 10-30-2023, 05:10 PM   #51
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
It's real simple: I wanted Chevy to deliver the car I ordered 7 months ago, not a car that I need to change out tires on day one.

Where's your confusion? I ordered a specific model for specific reasons. They could not provide it, so I purchased something else.

Pretty clear cut, in my view. Not looking for perfection, just looking for the car I ordered that they failed to provide.
A few other people have already done a pretty good job of explaining the allocation system, so I wont dig into that. It supports my original notion, that the dealer screwed you, not chevy.
Chevy continued producing Camaros at the same rate as always. They weren't the shortcoming. Your dealer, who knows the allocation system/process, was not honest with you and strung you along. They were more interested in "Hopefully" getting a sale down the road, than they were helping you get the car that you wanted.
If they really wanted you to get the car you wanted, they could have reached out to another dealer, and given them your order, then had the car shipped to them. Extra steps for sure, but it gets you what you want and each dealer gets a little bit of money from the deal. No different than dealers getting cars off the lot from other dealers and having them shipped in to sell.

That you didn't get your 2023 is unfortunate as well. Once again though, your dealer screwed you. They knew they didnt have the allocations to get your 2023 order filled. Once Chevy stops accepting orders for the '23 year, it doesn't matter that you were still waiting to get one. Your dealership never got the order submitted. Chevy never even knew about you. The dealer probably made you put down a deposit, that you ultimately lost out on. In their eyes its a win/win. Either they get to sell you the car you want, or they get to take your deposit and run.

As for everything else..... your age made it all make sense.

I imagine the dealer also used that against you to take advantage of you. Either way, you're set in your ways and unwilling to compromise. That's not an insult, thats normal for your demographic. To all us younger types, we see ditching the manufacturers tires as 100% expected, especially once they wear down and we want to replace them with better tires suited to our use. Thats what the vast majority of us do, your demographic.... not so much.

Its pretty standard that a manufacturer produces each vehicle spec'ed out for a compromise of uses. If you've been on this forum any decent amount of time and read much at all, you already know that the culture of camaro owners (much like owners of mustangs, challengers, jeeps, or motorcycles) is to buy the vehicle and then change parts to tailor it to their specific use. So when you come here and say that it has to come "as designed by the manufacture" with the perfect spec tires for your use, it sounds weird (if not outright absurd) the the vast majority of people on this page.

I hope I haven't come across like an @sshole or d!ckhead too much. I am not trying to.
I could never be happy with a stock vehicle, they're always going to need to be modified to fit my tastes and driving style. Nothing is wrong with you having a different preference.
I hope your car suits your needs and you enjoy it.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:02 PM   #52
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
A few other people have already done a pretty good job of explaining the allocation system, so I wont dig into that. It supports my original notion, that the dealer screwed you, not chevy.
Chevy continued producing Camaros at the same rate as always. They weren't the shortcoming. Your dealer, who knows the allocation system/process, was not honest with you and strung you along. They were more interested in "Hopefully" getting a sale down the road, than they were helping you get the car that you wanted.
If they really wanted you to get the car you wanted, they could have reached out to another dealer, and given them your order, then had the car shipped to them. Extra steps for sure, but it gets you what you want and each dealer gets a little bit of money from the deal. No different than dealers getting cars off the lot from other dealers and having them shipped in to sell.

That you didn't get your 2023 is unfortunate as well. Once again though, your dealer screwed you. They knew they didnt have the allocations to get your 2023 order filled. Once Chevy stops accepting orders for the '23 year, it doesn't matter that you were still waiting to get one. Your dealership never got the order submitted. Chevy never even knew about you. The dealer probably made you put down a deposit, that you ultimately lost out on. In their eyes its a win/win. Either they get to sell you the car you want, or they get to take your deposit and run.

I imagine the dealer also used that against you to take advantage of you. Either way, you're set in your ways and unwilling to compromise. That's not an insult, thats normal for your demographic. To all us younger types, we see ditching the manufacturers tires as 100% expected, especially once they wear down and we want to replace them with better tires suited to our use. Thats what the vast majority of us do, your demographic.... not so much.

Its pretty standard that a manufacturer produces each vehicle spec'ed out for a compromise of uses. If you've been on this forum any decent amount of time and read much at all, you already know that the culture of camaro owners (much like owners of mustangs, challengers, jeeps, or motorcycles) is to buy the vehicle and then change parts to tailor it to their specific use. So when you come here and say that it has to come "as designed by the manufacture" with the perfect spec tires for your use, it sounds weird (if not outright absurd) the the vast majority of people on this page.

I hope I haven't come across like an @sshole or d!ckhead too much. I am not trying to.
I could never be happy with a stock vehicle, they're always going to need to be modified to fit my tastes and driving style. Nothing is wrong with you having a different preference.
Lol. No offense taken, I guess.

Age has little to do with it. Try to avoid judging those you know nothing about. My last performance car was a M7 2017 Grand Sport, a car most young guys like you (ha ha) don't have a bank account to sniff. Age has it's perks. That's my return age shot, all in good fun of course to you, not to anyone else on this forum.

I put $0 down, and lost nothing. Based on the $10k I got off sticker on my Vette, I had good reason to believe my dealer would do what he said. He actually held up me taking delivery of that car until the next month so he could get me a $1500 factory incentive.

Actually the dealer and Chevy are the losers, missing out on every car/SUV we would buy down the road, plus not getting the benefit of word of my big mouth.

I have no idea what 'you younger types' do, nor do I care. Pretty presumptuous of you to assume what a guy over 60 or a young guy may or may not do with his car. Camaro6 is not a majority of Camaro owners. You could be right in your assumption or you could be wrong.

Bottom line: I ordered a car a specific way and did not get it. It happened for a reason. Glad those that did get one are having a great time. I'm happy for them.

Hope I wasn't too much of a-hole or Richard. I tailor my responses to the comments received.

Last edited by Cam 6; 10-30-2023 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:07 PM   #53
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post

It's not necessarily an age but more of a personality thing. Some people won't touch a stock car at age 25 to 75, others swap parts one inch past the dealership's exit gate (I'm past 50 and look at my signature or even more at my garage page, tons of mods small and large).

Overall it is not unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to be able to supply a product that it allows to be ordered within a decent timeframe, or, in this case, at all. I think we can agree on that.

On the other hand, some flexibility in methods and compromises on specs is needed these days if your ultimate target is to get "a" Camaro, no question about it, but it seems his goal was a specific "all-or-nothing" proposition.

Again, I don't necessarily read age into this, at least not as in "y'all just get old and cranky and inflexible"---the main reason age may matter is people's historical experiences and having already seen what things were and could be like. Someone in their late teens, early twenties has no point of reference just yet, they're just establishing their baselines, so they bend more easily. Some people never learn jack s**t, though, so their age is not really relevant , while others are "old souls" at 20 years of age, go figure.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 06:22 PM   #54
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
It's not necessarily an age but more of a personality thing. Some people won't touch a stock car at age 25 to 75, others swap parts one inch past the dealership's exit gate (I'm past 50 and look at my signature or even more at my garage page, tons of mods small and large).

Overall it is not unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to be able to supply a product that it allows to be ordered within a decent timeframe, or, in this case, at all. I think we can agree on that.

On the other hand, some flexibility in methods and compromises on specs is needed these days if your ultimate target is to get "a" Camaro, no question about it, but it seems his goal was a specific "all-or-nothing" proposition.

Again, I don't necessarily read age into this, at least not as in "y'all just get old and cranky and inflexible"---the main reason age may matter is people's historical experiences and having already seen what things were and could be like. Someone in their late teens, early twenties has no point of reference just yet, they're just establishing their baselines, so they bend more easily. Some people never learn jack s**t, though, so their age is not really relevant , while others are "old souls" at 20 years of age, go figure.
Well said. Your diplomacy is head and shoulders above mine.

And you are correct: I wanted a car a certain way, that's why I ordered one. If not I would have compromised and bought one out of Chevy inventory.

The LT1 WITH Recaros was the tough part to make work outside of a dealer order. It didn't happen, but the sun will rise tomorrow. At my old age, that's a big win.