Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #71
Paro

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS A8
The Camaro is a car for people in the know. Chevy should promote this car using all the accolades the auto reviewers have given it. This car rocks and has a size to fit all driver. It's even great for a family of three. I love it. Most people love their cell phones and hate cars.
Paro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #72
draph

Drives: AcuraTL SH-AWD 6MT and '70 'vette
OK, here's my 2 cents:

1. GM intentionally priced high after doing the supply/demand/plant capacity analysis to determine maximum profit. The market analyst missed the mark, unless temporary closure of the plant was part of the equation (maybe paying for idle labor - presuming union employees still get paid a certain amount while on furlough - for a period of time is actually a smaller impact to profit than pricing low for sales volume to fully utilize plant capacity at 100%).

2. Here's hoping that same plant is slated to use current idle capacity to build the "Camaro 4-door" to replace the SS sedan ("no replacement SS sedan" could still mean next Gen Impala or Chevelle in my pipe dreams). That would surely hit the mark for those avoiding the Camaro due to poor space and visibility.

3. They want low volume (especially V8 models) to keep impact to CAFE low (probably another thing that goes into the supply/demand/capacity equation for max profit). I wish a GM bean counter could figure out a high volume rwd sedan would be so successful it's worth the price of CAFE fines. A "bought American" Chevy V8 rwd police car built on alpha platform would destroy Dodge Charger police sales...and an alpha Impala SS 6MT V8 sedan could be affordable for middle class, keep holding more "street cred" for Chevy's NASCAR, and can be sold overseas as the next Commodore and Vauxhall VXR8. Lesser V6 and 4 cyl turbo models would offer a "poor man's BMW" proposition. Dilution of Cadillac sales wouldn't happen since luxury car buyers are less about driving enthusiasm and more about brand image.

4. Yes, I would rather have a 4-door V8 sedan with 6MT, but a drive in the Camaro made the SS sedan feel like the 8 year old G8 GXP that it is. And product support after Holden goes defunct is dubious to me...and here I am still sitting on the fence about what to buy...20% off a Camaro and I'd jump...If 2018 Mustang GT with PP comes into parity with Camaro on driving enjoyment at Camaro price point or lower with its superior ergonomics, and I'd jump. So, put me in potential sale category for now...this fall could come down to 20% off Camaro or 2018 Ford IF its improvements make it handle and shift (clutch and shifter) more like the Camaro.
draph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:16 PM   #73
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
What if they adopted the engine structure of their SUV's, keep the V6 and I4T as the "entry" levels, then pump out much more affordable 5.3L equipped units?

Since there is no RS option in the entry models (if I remember correctly), make the 5.3's RS's. Then you can still sell those who have to have a V8 a car that they can afford. Start it's MSRP at $32k. That would sit right above the 2LT and under cut the 1SS by almost $6k.

Yeah, performance would be down compared to the 6.2 but they would push more metal and make sure Camaro sticks around.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:51 AM   #74
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Been away for a while. Looks like more of the same on sales. GM needs to redesign and fix the handfull of major problems that everyone has posted in these threads for the last year+ and the quality control issues or they may as well stick fork in the camaro.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #75
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by draph View Post
OK, here's my 2 cents:

3. They want low volume (especially V8 models) to keep impact to CAFE low (probably another thing that goes into the supply/demand/capacity equation for max profit).
Well the flaw in this theory is look at the available inventory. They built a ton of Camaros. You don't build that many cars unless you are expecting to sell them. IMO they expected to sell them in similar numbers to the 5th gen.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #76
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
I don't believe it's marketing. Someone who is shopping anyone of the 3, more then likely is aware of the other offerings in current form.

I see price as an issue.

I think the smaller interior may turn some larger folks toward its competitors.

I see the offerings on dealer lots loaded up with options driving up the window stickers and turning many off.

Style-I like the sides but not a big fan of the hood, front or rear end. Seems like many like the tech and interior, but I don't rate it any better then it's competitors.

With a majority of sales going to v6 owners, I honestly think a base challenge looks better then a base Camaro. May not perform as well but it's not all about performance. It comes down to looks and at what cost.

Just me, but If I can't afford a V8 in a Camaro, I don't want a Camaro, mustang or challenger.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #77
m666etal

Drives: Civic
Wasn't a slump in numbers expected considering the fact that GM decided to not sell much to rental/fleet companies? Where as Dodge and Ford both still sell the mustang and challenger to rental companies?
m666etal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #78
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by m666etal View Post
Wasn't a slump in numbers expected considering the fact that GM decided to not sell much to rental/fleet companies? Where as Dodge and Ford both still sell the mustang and challenger to rental companies?
Decrease expected maybe but not a slump. Look at the inventory amassed by Camaro. They expected it to sell similar to the 5th gen and it is not.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #79
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Food for thought:

FCA sales down 10%

Ford down 4%

GM sales up 4%

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...ales/98557572/

Dodge sales were down 6% alone. Jeep which is where FCA just poured a massive increase in money to increase manufacturing is down 14.7%.

Challenger sales make up only 3% of FCA sales last month. Camaro 1.9% of GM sales. Mustang 3.9%. Keep this market in perspective guys. Just saying.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #80
Dudie7

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Yeah, I don't think that would make up for the huge sales gap that we're seeing. Bottomline, they need to drop the price of the car especially on the 1SS. All other things considered, I think this is the single greatest issue with this car. If they lower the price (and I don't mean incentives...I mean actually drop the MSRP), you'll see sales drastically improve.
Dudie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #81
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Sad numbers once more. Someone said that GM gave Camaro fans what they wanted and that may be true feature-wise.

It is definitely lighter, more powerful, more features, more tech - but at a price. And the styling turns some potential buyers off.

But they should have given the car buyers what THEY wanted and would sell in this genre IF sales numbers matter.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #82
m666etal

Drives: Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudie7 View Post
Yeah, I don't think that would make up for the huge sales gap that we're seeing. Bottomline, they need to drop the price of the car especially on the 1SS. All other things considered, I think this is the single greatest issue with this car. If they lower the price (and I don't mean incentives...I mean actually drop the MSRP), you'll see sales drastically improve.
I agree the price has increased considerably, when I compare the price I paid for my 5th Gen.
m666etal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #83
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Taking a lesson from the Nissan Z car history, of which I'm very familiar, the flabbier and more opulent they made the car, the better the sales. The original Z started life as a true sports car, but by the '80's had morphed into a boulevard cruiser with power everything, including a talking lady to tell you your door was open. Sales went through the roof. The 370Z was considered a return to the roots of the Z car, but it barely manages a few hundred sales a month now. I love sports cars, and I never thought I would consider owning an American car, let alone a Camaro, but it's a brilliant car and easily eclipses the 370Z. However, real sports cars, of which I would now consider the Camaro to be (or at least as close as it's ever been), just don't sell well, which is sad.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #84
Dudie7

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
I agree the price has increased considerably, when I compare the price I paid for my 5th Gen.
Yup...I think it's the honest truth. People will have their preferences for styling, design, etc. (the performance is a no-brainer). But when it comes to signing on that line...that moment of truth...you start to really consider some things.
Dudie7 is offline   Reply With Quote