Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-13-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Paddle Shifters/AFM

I have put flowmaster outlaw mufflers on my car, but I notice the AFM kicks in and out in drive a lot more now. So I use my paddle shifters more now just to keep the AFM values from kicking in. But the last few times while in paddle mode I have noticed the sound/tone just almost disappears for a sec here there. Not always, but it seems to be cutting in and out. Anyone else have this problem or knows what is causing it?

Thanks
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Its probably due to the fact its more noticable now. If I manually open my NPP valves it bypasses the muffler and my AFM operation becomes alot more noticable in normal light throttle driving on the highway. Its always been doing it but the muffler can do a good job of covering it up.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #3
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Now that your exhaust is louder, you will hear it more often when the AFM valves open/close and your car goes in and out of 4 cyl mode. The car is just doing it's job, the only way to prevent it is to drive more aggressive, activate competition mode, or to just buy the AFM range disabler. Only downside with the AFM range disabler is you have to have it plugged into your OBDII all the time.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
BlackbeastSS2

I thought keeping in manual gets rid of the AFM, can't drive aggressive all the time. I real only put in auto drive when I want to step on the gas. This AFM sucks in my opinion, wanted a V8 with power all the time. What r my options besides a plug in range delete. If I unhook valves and just tuck them up underneath. And replaced that section with just straight pipe. Will that work?
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
I thought keeping in manual gets rid of the AFM, can't drive aggressive all the time. I real only put in auto drive when I want to step on the gas. This AFM sucks in my opinion, wanted a V8 with power all the time. What r my options besides a plug in range delete. If I unhook valves and just tuck them up underneath. And replaced that section with just straight pipe. Will that work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie70 View Post
I don't know about unhooking the valves and tucking them, but EFI-Tuning has these...

http://efi-tuning.net/efi-tuning-201...module-set-v2/
Those only solve problems with CEL after deleting the AFM valves, they won't stop AFM from engaging. Besides Range, you would have to look into tuning out AFM.

Why does AFM bother you that much?

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
HyperBlue16

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Quote:
I drove my car for about 500miles after getting it with paddle shifter's only for fun and to fluctuate the rpms during break-in. Even in manual, if the rpm hits the right rpm curve for a duration, it does activate AFM. You have to keep it above the programmed rpm range to keep it from activating is what i kinda noticed.
HyperBlue16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
BlackbeastSS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue16 View Post
I drove my car for about 500miles after getting it with paddle shifter's only for fun and to fluctuate the rpms during break-in. Even in manual, if the rpm hits the right rpm curve for a duration, it does activate AFM. You have to keep it above the programmed rpm range to keep it from activating is what i kinda noticed.
Well that does make sense and I do notice it when I am coasting more. I wish it was an option from the factory, I would have elected to pick non AFM. Also I had no idea about AFM till after the fact.

In regards to bothering me, it just cuts in and out and now I have to get a tune in order to stop AFM. Going for an oil change next week, so I will ask the GM dealership tech but I am pretty sure they will not be able to help me turn it off. So, then I get a tune and run into warranty problems. Catch 22 problem.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
HyperBlue16

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Well its all part of their EPA stuff & fuel milage, otherwise if they wanted, they could've pull a VW!! Have where AFM is deactivated till they do a smog test and then it activates! :-p
But ya, would have been nice to have it as part of the driving modes to be at our control.
HyperBlue16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
SuperSound

Quote:
Well that does make sense and I do notice it when I am coasting more. I wish it was an option from the factory, I would have elected to pick non AFM. Also I had no idea about AFM till after the fact.

In regards to bothering me, it just cuts in and out and now I have to get a tune in order to stop AFM. Going for an oil change next week, so I will ask the GM dealership tech but I am pretty sure they will not be able to help me turn it off. So, then I get a tune and run into warranty problems. Catch 22 problem.
Going in and out is what it is supposed to do, but that doesn't answer why it bothers you. Is it just because you can hear the AFM valves open/close more so now?

Also they will definitely not disable them. And if you chose to have someone tune it out, there goes your powertrain warranty. Range is probably your best bet.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #10
DarkMaroSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
A problem if you wanna keep your warranty, but just get it tuned or use Range.

I got mine tuned and it doesn't get activated. It is indeed noticeable after messing with your exhaust. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Camaro 1SS | BBK 92mm TB | GPI Ported LT1 Manifold | ColdAirInductions CAI | Granatelli Wires and MSD coils | Mishimoto Catch Can | GMP Black Strut Tower Brace | NPP Exhaust and 2nd Cat Delete | Recaro Seats | GM Stainless Sport Pedal Kit | GM Carbon Fiber Shift Knob | Deck Lid Spoiler with Wicker Bill | Smoked Sequential Taillights | Smoked Third-Brake Light | 1LE Front Splitter/Satin Black | ZL1Addons Splash Guards

2015 Camaro SS/RS (Sold)
DarkMaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #11
frankster_tx

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I had the same problem when I added an aftermarket exhaust to my car. It's not that the AFM is kicking in and out any more, its just a whole lot more noticeable when it does. With the exhaust I put on the car anytime it went into V4 mode it seemed like it had more drone to it and I thought it sounded terrible. I ended up having it tuned so that the AFM wouldn't activate anymore.

I haven't really seen any downside to disabling the AFM either, I'm still getting pretty good gas mileage that is within 0.5 mpg of what it was before I disabled it.
frankster_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
SuperSound

It really depends on your driving situation. If you live out in relatively flat areas and do a lot of highway cruising, it will make a big difference. But hilly areas and around town, not so much.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:

The afm in my 5th gen drove me nuts after my aftermarket exhaust install. Heres my solution...hopefully it works on the 6th gen but im not sure. I used the paddles with this method for over a year before i was tuned. Once your in your car put it in sport mode. Put your car in 1st using your paddles. You can do this with any gear but I always did it right away in 1st. So using your paddles at a slow speed shift up to 2nd then back to first...or shift up to 3rd then downshift back to 2nd. This works for any gear...just downshift one gear then up shift back. It works great on the highway ....problem is you need to be using your paddles to disengage your afm. Let me know if it works on the 6th gen...if you dont mind using paddles this works great.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #14
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
The afm in my 5th gen drove me nuts after my aftermarket exhaust install. Heres my solution...hopefully it works on the 6th gen but im not sure. I used the paddles with this method for over a year before i was tuned. Once your in your car put it in sport mode. Put your car in 1st using your paddles. You can do this with any gear but I always did it right away in 1st. So using your paddles at a slow speed shift up to 2nd then back to first...or shift up to 3rd then downshift back to 2nd. This works for any gear...just downshift one gear then up shift back. It works great on the highway ....problem is you need to be using your paddles to disengage your afm. Let me know if it works on the 6th gen...if you dont mind using paddles this works great.
this worked for me when I tried it before. Although I didn't cruise for long periods after so maybe it reverts eventually?
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote