Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #15
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
From what I understand about CC brakes, along with the performance characteristics already mentioned, the rotors last forever, as in don't wear, at least not nearly as fast as steel, nor warp like steel tends to do, especially after many severe heat cycles. Also pads last longer as well. at least this is what I have come to understand.

If the above is true, and you track the car frequently, I could see where CC brakes is one of those "extras" that pays for itself in the long run in terms of maintenance.

Maybe some of you with first hand experience can confirm or correct?
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #16
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
Feel free to have a search on Rennlist, Fchat, etc. You'll see it isn't uncommon at all.
Well, like I said, they may be out there but my personal experience as well as the experience of those that I "play cars with" (as my wife would say) is that CC are the only way to go for a track car. I will say this, if the car is used as a DD or weekend cruiser and makes occasional trips to the track, I would not suggest CC. Here is a great article on the subject of CC vs. conventional brakes. Note the following line from the article, "Carbon ceramic brakes do have its flaws, but those flaws only show itself during everyday driving."

Full article here: http://therealcarsreviews.blogspot.c...ventional.html
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #17
Memphis

Drives: Bucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Well, like I said, they may be out there but my personal experience as well as the experience of those that I "play cars with" (as my wife would say) is that CC are the only way to go for a track car.
They have their advantages for sure but the question is if they are a necessity and the answer is no. A brake setup utilizing steel rotors can get the job done (very well at that), hell most race cars run steel rotors still. The C7R and Z28r are examples of race cars in the GM family that run steel rotors.
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
They have their advantages for sure but the question is if they are a necessity and the answer is no. A brake setup utilizing steel rotors can get the job done (very well at that), hell most race cars run steel rotors still. The C7R and Z28r are examples of race cars in the GM family that run steel rotors.
That's true. I believe Carbon Ceramic rotors are "illegal" features in most circuits, just like MagRide, etc.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #19
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
That's true. I believe Carbon Ceramic rotors are "illegal" features in most circuits, just like MagRide, etc.
I can't believe this is even a discussion but I will close my comments on this with there are a lot of things that you can put on your car that are not allowed in a sanctioned race. Just because something is not allowed does not mean it is inferior to what is allowed. That is why pre and post race inspections are implemented.

CC are superior for the track in just about every way, there is simply no denying it. Is it needed to track your car? No. Is it required to track your car? No. Is it allowed in all sanctioned events? No. Is it superior to steel rotors? Yes.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #20
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
I can't believe this is even a discussion but I will close my comments on this with there are a lot of things that you can put on your car that are not allowed in a sanctioned race. Just because something is not allowed does not mean it is inferior to what is allowed. That is why pre and post race inspections are implemented.

CC are superior for the track in just about every way, there is simply no denying it. Is it needed to track your car? No. Is it required to track your car? No. Is it allowed in all sanctioned events? No. Is it superior to steel rotors? Yes.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

As far as I know...my comment, nor the comment I quoted was a question of superiority over steel...
Old 04-08-2016, 07:15 AM   #22
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
As far as I know...my comment, nor the comment I quoted was a question of superiority over steel...
True, you did not. My apologies.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #23
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
I personally don't see them as a nessecity. I look at the heavier CTS-V and now the ZL1 with their giant steel rotors that can handle the track duties. Put the capapbilities of those brakes on a lighter vehicle, no problem! The Turbo 4 press drive of the ZL1's should account for this. They claimed they pounder those cars for 2+ hours straight! I don't remember reading anything on writers commenting or even questioning the brakes, it was all about whether or not the cooling system could handle the track. As stated above as well, the cars competing in the Continental Challenge have to install steels for their racing rules and they are up to the challenge. In fact, the optional Brembo 6 piston/larger rotor up grade for the SS reminds me of the AP racing calipers/steel rotors used on those cars. Now, next question, do I want them? Yeah, they are definitely bad ass and perform to a higher level. I just don't think they are essential to the performance of the vehicle. As long as they can perform for a track day (25-45 min sessions) w/o fade and have excellent capabilities, I'll take steels or CC's.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #24
GrimReaperSS

Would be interesting to see if they decide to stick the carbon fiber elsewhere in the vehicle. It's been used in the roof and hood of the Vette for some time now, why not trickle down to the Camaro? Maybe even a trunk lid as well if they want to get the weight down and the center of gravity lower. Sorry, a bit skew of true topic.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #25
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
I personally don't see them as a nessecity. I look at the heavier CTS-V and now the ZL1 with their giant steel rotors that can handle the track duties. Put the capapbilities of those brakes on a lighter vehicle, no problem! The Turbo 4 press drive of the ZL1's should account for this. They claimed they pounder those cars for 2+ hours straight! I don't remember reading anything on writers commenting or even questioning the brakes, it was all about whether or not the cooling system could handle the track. As stated above as well, the cars competing in the Continental Challenge have to install steels for their racing rules and they are up to the challenge. In fact, the optional Brembo 6 piston/larger rotor up grade for the SS reminds me of the AP racing calipers/steel rotors used on those cars. Now, next question, do I want them? Yeah, they are definitely bad ass and perform to a higher level. I just don't think they are essential to the performance of the vehicle. As long as they can perform for a track day (25-45 min sessions) w/o fade and have excellent capabilities, I'll take steels or CC's.
To me the unsprung weight loss is just as important if not more than the braking ability.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:49 PM   #26
GrimReaperSS

Well, that is just another factor to throw in as well. I've handled a few sets of carbon rotors at work for Porsche's and Mercedes, they are insanely light for their size.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #27
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 Z/28; 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
when your pedal falls to the floorboard, I would say yes.....
Old 05-03-2016, 02:44 AM   #28
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
If they do NOT want to sell them, do NOT make it an option. I hope they learn from the last Z28 mistake...

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote