Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #15
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
This is what always made me nervous about buying a muscle car that's been test driven before I bought it. There's no way of knowing of abuse, revving it to redline cold, flooring it cold, clutch/transmission abuse, etc.. My past cars have run fine but it still makes me want to order a camaro this time and be there to pick it up when it comes off the truck. I guess that still doesn't mean it wasn't abused between the train and car hauler
That's why I am ordering mine and will not accept it with more than the mileage accumulated from initial testing off the assembly, usually 1-2 miles.

I may actually tell the dealer to just give me their gas card and let ME fill the take when I take delivery. They'll have all my info so it ain't like I'm running off with their gas card.

I am curious if GM will recommend a break-in procedure in the owners manual.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #16
fastball
Banned

I am going to guess that this demo was actually a CTF - Captured Test Fleet vehicle. Pre-production model used to verify production procedures and processes on the assembly line before the first actual production model goes live. These cars do not have legit VIN numbers and are used by engineers drive and test and to make final adjustments before the real thing goes.

Another guess is that this car has a boatload of miles on it already, and has been driven hard for a month. You should have asked for the real mileage on it. Guarantee you it's not brand new.

Your friend the owner most definitely understands this particular car cannot be sold to the public or driven by anyone. Huge liability for GM.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #17
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
So, if a dealership in Alabama has a new Camaro, there should be one at many other dealerships in the country by now (for these demo and training purposes, of course)...Why should only Alabama get one?

Should be a lot of spy photos showing up.....

But, somehow, I have my doubts...(even about one being in Alabama)....
No, it's a CTF. It's not a production car and it is not authorized for sale by GM.

Most likely a GM authority brought it by to demo.

Technically 2016 Camaros are not in production yet. Dealers cannot even order them yet if they wanted to, and no models will be showing up to dealers for sale until late fall.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #18

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
No, it's a CTF. It's not a production car and it is not authorized for sale by GM.

Most likely a GM authority brought it by to demo.

Technically 2016 Camaros are not in production yet. Dealers cannot even order them yet if they wanted to, and no models will be showing up to dealers for sale until late fall.
Ok....Then there should be no real good reason the OP couldn't take pics and post them if everything is all on the up and up and this dealership has nothing to hide or lose...

After all, the OP is good friends with him.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #19
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Ok....Then there should be no real good reason the OP couldn't take pics and post them if everything is all on the up and up and this dealership has nothing to hide or lose...

After all, the OP is good friends with him.

Absolutely!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #20
jrohan07

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Supercharged SLP
Let me clarify so I don't have to type anymore:
My dealer friend also my neighbor, told me the story and said it was a CTF demo with above average mileage.

We talked about it and gave me his impression of the new Camaro.

All I was doing was posting part of my conversation with him on this forum to people that can choose to believe it or not.

How much abuse can the new 2016 Camaro take before it fails is the question...

Last edited by jrohan07; 07-01-2015 at 04:14 PM.
jrohan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #21
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
That's why I am ordering mine and will not accept it with more than the mileage accumulated from initial testing off the assembly, usually 1-2 miles.

I may actually tell the dealer to just give me their gas card and let ME fill the take when I take delivery. They'll have all my info so it ain't like I'm running off with their gas card.

I am curious if GM will recommend a break-in procedure in the owners manual.
I ordered my car and it had 8 miles on the clock! Drove it out the showroom door with my salesman and we went straight to the gas station. He paid and I pumped my own 93 octane gas. If you can order your car, it is an experience of a lifetime. And yes, GM will have a break in procedure!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #22
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Guys relax. The car hasn't even made into final production yet. They beat the piss out these things at the 'ring, some mope salesman who probably never drove stick before probably blew out the clutch.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #23
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The real fun I'm looking forward to is the repercussions to the dealer for taking a preproduction car at best with an M plate, now with evidence on the internet, out and opening it up and damaging the car. Guessing that was not the intent of the training
Old 07-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #24
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrohan07 View Post
Glad you can post...
Glad you posted this oh so important hearsay.

My neighbor went to school with a guy that delivers pizza to a dude that says this never happened.

Really? Some "I know a guy who had a car (which is not even being sold yet or in actual production) that broke on a test drive, I'm worried these won't be reliable".

Pics or it never happened.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The real fun I'm looking forward to is the repercussions to the dealer for taking a preproduction car at best with an M plate,

now with evidence on the internet,

out and opening it up and damaging the car. Guessing that was not the intent of the training
I would agree, except for that there is no real evidence of anything, as the OP has conveniently ruled out presenting any evidence as it would jeopardize his pricing deals at said dealership...lol...
Old 07-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #26
fastball
Banned

So now that we have confirmation it's a CTF, someone who works for GM is in big trouble. The CTFs are ONLY for GM employees to drive. I don't care if your buddy the owner of the dealer is Mary Barra's life long best friend since 3rd grade. No one outside of engineering/R&D is supposed to let anyone drive these if they aren't in the front seat with you.

I know for a fact those who are permitted to drive these cars are not allowed to use a radar detector and mileage/drive time must be logged.

Tell your dealer owner/buddy congratulations - he probably got someone in serious trouble being a bonehead.

If I was in GM's logistics coordination, since it's illegal for a manufacturer to hold cars back from a dealer I'd make sure his dealer got a boatload of lime green Sparks with no air conditioning.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Yesterday my local Chevy dealer received a 2016 Camaro SS with manual transmission to demo and train the sales staff/techs.

The owner (my friend) of the dealership took it out with the Manager and went for a drive, went 1 mile to Interstate and let her rip and at 65MPH rowing through the gears and heard a loud pop and transmission blew the clutch out and had to be towed back to the dealership.

I hope this is not going to be an issue after production starts but my guess is that demo had been abused before my local dealer got it.
Quote:
Let me clarify so I don't have to type anymore:
My dealer friend also my neighbor, told me the story and said it was a CTF demo with above average mileage.

We talked about it and gave me his impression of the new Camaro.

All I was doing was posting part of my conversation with him on this forum to people that can choose to believe it or not.

How much abuse can the new 2016 Camaro take before it fails is the question...
What a coincidence!...suddenly you remember more details and phrases right after Fastball posted with the exact same terms of CTF and above average mileage!

Good guessing, Fastball!......
Old 07-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #28

Quote:
So now that we have confirmation it's a CTF, someone who works for GM is in big trouble. The CTFs are ONLY for GM employees to drive. I don't care if your buddy the owner of the dealer is Mary Barra's life long best friend since 3rd grade. No one outside of engineering/R&D is supposed to let anyone drive these if they aren't in the front seat with you.

I know for a fact those who are permitted to drive these cars are not allowed to use a radar detector and mileage/drive time must be logged.

Tell your dealer owner/buddy congratulations - he probably got someone in serious trouble being a bonehead.

If I was in GM's logistics coordination, since it's illegal for a manufacturer to hold cars back from a dealer I'd make sure his dealer got a boatload of lime green Sparks with no air conditioning.
He probably talked to his dealer buddy earlier about all this, as you mention, word for word....He just forgot to mention it in his other posts...lol