Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #15
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
No, HIDs are part of the LT RS package and are standard on the SS.

LT standard is projector lens Halogens, which are very easy to convert to HIDs.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #16
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
No, HIDs are part of the LT RS package and are standard on the SS.

LT standard is projector lens Halogens, which are very easy to convert to HIDs.

Laborsmith
In the article in the OP, it says HID are standard on the LT. (for UK)

Might just be an error, I dunno.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
I noticed that when I first read it and thought it was an error but it could very well be the Euro versions will have higher content overall, and probably should since there is often a significant price difference.

So in the US the LT uses Halogen lights in projector lenses and HID lights in the RS and in Europe there is no LT RS just as in the US there is no SS RS.

All these options and consequent choices are giving me a head ache.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #18
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Since they are testing in the enviroments listed, I remember when the 2009 ZR1 came out, they did a top speed test at 205MPH prior to the release. I'm wondering since these tests were performed, that they k now of a high end speed. While I'm sure its "speed limited" here in the US, just would be awesome to know what it could do.
I also dont remember seeing any ring times either??
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
Since they are testing in the enviroments listed, I remember when the 2009 ZR1 came out, they did a top speed test at 205MPH prior to the release. I'm wondering since these tests were performed, that they k now of a high end speed. While I'm sure its "speed limited" here in the US, just would be awesome to know what it could do.
I also dont remember seeing any ring times either??
They probably do know the top speed. I wish they wouldn't speed limit it and just let it be drag limited. I don't think they've released any ring times yet.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #20
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
So... I clicked this thread and ended up seeing two things.

1) Some stickers slapped to a fender.
2) A wall of irrelevant text.

One brief mention of a showing at Goodwood, and then by the 2nd until the 200th paragraph its standard PR crap we've seen before. No single mention about the tracks it was tested on or the lap times? This is dumb. Very dumb.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #21
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
They probably do know the top speed. I wish they wouldn't speed limit it and just let it be drag limited. I don't think they've released any ring times yet.
For the fifth gen V-6 Camaro it was speed limited based on the speed rating of the tires (either 118MPH or 148MPH). For the SS Camaro it did have a 155MPH speed limiter, you can remove them however honestly for a street driven vehicle 155MPH is a speed that you should never reach on the street anyhow. We have no speed unlimited roads here in the US.

Sure for people who may do something like a standing mile or a salt flat run having no speed limiter is important. However out of all of the 5th generation Camaro sold how many of them were taken up to the salt flats or the standing mile?.

Its like asking why does the space shuttle cut off fuel before you reach the speed of light. You can't get anywhere near the speed of light in the space shuttle, and the vast majority of people driving Camaro will not see 155MPH nor should they.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #22
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
For the fifth gen V-6 Camaro it was speed limited based on the speed rating of the tires (either 118MPH or 148MPH). For the SS Camaro it did have a 155MPH speed limiter, you can remove them however honestly for a street driven vehicle 155MPH is a speed that you should never reach on the street anyhow. We have no speed unlimited roads here in the US.

Sure for people who may do something like a standing mile or a salt flat run having no speed limiter is important. However out of all of the 5th generation Camaro sold how many of them were taken up to the salt flats or the standing mile?.

Its like asking why does the space shuttle cut off fuel before you reach the speed of light. You can't get anywhere near the speed of light in the space shuttle, and the vast majority of people driving Camaro will not see 155MPH nor should they.
With a car like this, the question is never "should you". The question is "can it?".

Bugatti Veyrons are certified to a top speed of 258 mph.

The Corvette Stingray is certified at 192 mph.

The Camaro is a bit more down to earth and attainable for us working stiffs, so I'm not unreasonably saying it should hit 200.

There is no reason thei Camaro can't have a 160-180 mph top speed. 155 is fine but we know it can do more.

By your logic every car sold should have a top speed governed to 65 mph.

You sound like someone who thought the national 55 mph limit was a great idea.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #23
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
With a car like this, the question is never "should you". The question is "can it?".

The Camaro is a bit more down to earth and attainable for us working stiffs, so I'm not unreasonably saying it should hit 200.

There is no reason thei Camaro can't have a 160-180 mph top speed. 155 is fine but we know it can do more.

lol imagine if every car was governed to 65 mph but we still had speed limits of 70 - 85 mph.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post

Noooo ... what he's saying is that if it might only potentially be useful to a tiny amount of owners, whats the point in having it unlimited?

And about the speed limit thing. Generally speaking, although its very easy to criticize people for things you imagine they think ... its not overly productive. He never made any mention of speed limits. My interpretation of what he was saying was that he recognizes the fact that some people do race their cars (which involves going well beyond normal speed limits), and so he therefore would not endorse speed-limit based limiters.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #25
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post

V6 is limited to 118 or 155 mph, depending on tires.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #26
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Noooo ... what he's saying is that if it might only potentially be useful to a tiny amount of owners, whats the point in having it unlimited?

And about the speed limit thing. Generally speaking, although its very easy to criticize people for things you imagine they think ... its not overly productive. He never made any mention of speed limits. My interpretation of what he was saying was that he recognizes the fact that some people do race their cars (which involves going well beyond normal speed limits), and so he therefore would not endorse speed-limit based limiters.

I was just going by his comment that even though the Camaro has a 155 governor no one should be going near that speed.

I owned a 2000 Honda Prelude 5 speed from Dec. 1999-May 2010. The owners manual stated it top speed was governed at 142 mph, and it had a 150 mph speedometer. I had it to 130 once and there was room on the floor and I was in 5th at 6200 on the tach with a red line of 7800 so there are no doubts 142 was easily attainable. Without the governor I'd say the car could do 150 or a little over.

Now, this was a little Japanese 2.2 liter 4 cam 4 cylinder. It was rated at 200 hp and 156 ft/lbs tq at 6400 rpm. A 6.2 liter 455 hp American V8 with a 6 speed in a car that, after going on the diet, should weigh not much more than my old Prelude.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #27
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I would like to know how much of the 'track' testing was done with a manual car vs an automatic car. And if they were able to overcome the overheating problems the A8 Automatic Corvettes are having on the track?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #28
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
VIR Road Atlanta Don't Know Don't Know
Mid Ohio Nurburgring Willow Springs
Don't Know
Milford?

Somebody help me out. I feel like I have seen #8 before.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote