Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #15
benanderson89

Drives: Kia GT
They are making an EU version. As has been confirmed by Cadillac - Caddy dealers in Europe will sell the Corvette and Camaro.

However, do NOT get your hopes up on a Right Hand Drive model. There are no provisions in the Alpha platform for a Right Hand Drive car. Cadillac have said that the next iteration of Alpha in a few years for the next version of the ATS will be when they start making RHD cars.

And, to be fair, taxes don't seemed to have stopped the Europeans from buying the big burly V8s. The V8 Mustang in Europe is selling like hot cakes. The Ecoboost, at last check in the UK, is selling at a rate of 1:35 compared to the 8 pot motor.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #16
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
RHD Turbo 4 and V6

Maybe the Ring time for the Z06 and SS.
They put speed limits on the ring for testing. I guess it's not going to mean much any more. Sucks.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #17
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

And, to be fair, taxes don't seemed to have stopped the Europeans from buying the big burly V8s. The V8 Mustang in Europe is selling like hot cakes. The Ecoboost, at last check in the UK, is selling at a rate of 1:35 compared to the 8 pot motor.
Give it time, it's new and all you guys who have the money and really wanted a V8 are getting them now. In 2-3 years the Ecoboost will be the top seller I'm sure.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
They are making an EU version. As has been confirmed by Cadillac - Caddy dealers in Europe will sell the Corvette and Camaro.

However, do NOT get your hopes up on a Right Hand Drive model. There are no provisions in the Alpha platform for a Right Hand Drive car. Cadillac have said that the next iteration of Alpha in a few years for the next version of the ATS will be when they start making RHD cars.

This is probably why for the 5th gen, GM opted to only sell the Camaro SS in most (if not all) European markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Give it time, it's new and all you guys who have the money and really wanted a V8 are getting them now. In 2-3 years the Ecoboost will be the top seller I'm sure.
I wouldn't bet on it. I imagine a large part of the appeal of cars like the Camaro & Mustang in foreign markets is the fact that they've got a big, powerful American V8. Plus, the you have to factor in the European pricing. Looking at Ford's UK website, the GT is about 14% more than the Ecoboast. Meanwhile in the US, its about a 30% premium. Plus, the Mustang (and Camaro) are a lot more expensive over there to begin with. When you're spending that kind of money (the Ecoboast starts at about $47,000 in the UK), why not go all out?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #19
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
This is probably why for the 5th gen, GM opted to only sell the Camaro SS in most (if not all) European markets.

I wouldn't bet on it. I imagine a large part of the appeal of cars like the Camaro & Mustang in foreign markets is the fact that they've got a big, powerful American V8. Plus, the you have to factor in the European pricing. Looking at Ford's UK website, the GT is about 14% more than the Ecoboast. Meanwhile in the US, its about a 30% premium. Plus, the Mustang (and Camaro) are a lot more expensive over there to begin with. When you're spending that kind of money (the Ecoboast starts at about $47,000 in the UK), why not go all out?
Fuel cost. It is significantly higher there than here. So much that you have to factor that in to the real cost of owning one there compared to the US, which is why there are so few American V8s sold over there to begin with. While I agree the pricing is different than here, they also have very different competition. You don't think the sole reason the Mustang and Camaro will offer turbo 4s is the US market do you? That was a big risk when Ford did it first, but they thought it was worth it since it would help them sell more in the EU. I'm pretty sure the Ford team did not expect the Ecoboost to sell so well over here. V8 Mustangs and Camaros will sell at the same rate over there as they always have, very very small number compared to their competition. The turbo 4s I believe are both Chevy and Ford's effort to sell more of these cars in the EU and the rest of the world.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #20
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Fuel cost. It is significantly higher there than here. So much that you have to factor that in to the real cost of owning one there compared to the US, which is why there are so few American V8s sold over there to begin with. While I agree the pricing is different than here, they also have very different competition. You don't think the sole reason the Mustang and Camaro will offer turbo 4s is the US market do you? That was a big risk when Ford did it first, but they thought it was worth it since it would help them sell more in the EU. I'm pretty sure the Ford team did not expect the Ecoboost to sell so well over here. V8 Mustangs and Camaros will sell at the same rate over there as they always have, very very small number compared to their competition. The turbo 4s I believe are both Chevy and Ford's effort to sell more of these cars in the EU and the rest of the world.
I actually think the 4cyl is mostly for playing the US market game and fleet MPG. There was a school of thought that inflation is going to come in a big way and fuel costs could skyrocket in the US. In that context the 4cyl could make some sense. Looks like that ain't happenin' now. The baby boomers are aging out of buying stuff, most of the country is still over-leveraged, and incomes are flat.

If someone in Europe buys an iconic American hotrod, they want a V8. There are plenty of V8 cars in Europe despite the fuel cost.

The problem in Europe for the turbo4 is that it would have to compete on cost with the hot hatches which are faster and better adapted to driving conditions over there. Ie tight streets, parking, 4 door option, outward visibility, and fuel costs.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #21
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
They put speed limits on the ring for testing. I guess it's not going to mean much any more. Sucks.
Any tests before the speed limit should be viable. Just not for future versions.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #22
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
I actually think the 4cyl is mostly for playing the US market game and fleet MPG. There was a school of thought that inflation is going to come in a big way and fuel costs could skyrocket in the US. In that context the 4cyl could make some sense. Looks like that ain't happenin' now. The baby boomers are aging out of buying stuff, most of the country is still over-leveraged, and incomes are flat.

If someone in Europe buys an iconic American hotrod, they want a V8. There are plenty of V8 cars in Europe despite the fuel cost.

The problem in Europe for the turbo4 is that it would have to compete on cost with the hot hatches which are faster and better adapted to driving conditions over there. Ie tight streets, parking, 4 door option, outward visibility, and fuel costs.
Valid points but there are plenty of cars with V8 options available there, not that many actually buying them. If that was the case, why is GM and Ford even offering anything other than the V8s there. It's too early to tell anything really with oil price being what it is. All I am saying is the turbo 4s were definitely part of a worldwide sales approach. Whether they end up being the top seller in a few years after all the enthusiasts and people who price is not a concern get theirs, remains to be seen.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Valid points but there are plenty of cars with V8 options available there, not that many actually buying them. If that was the case, why is GM and Ford even offering anything other than the V8s there. It's too early to tell anything really with oil price being what it is. All I am saying is the turbo 4s were definitely part of a worldwide sales approach. Whether they end up being the top seller in a few years after all the enthusiasts and people who price is not a concern get theirs, remains to be seen.
Well, for the 5th gen GM basically didn't offer anything other than the V8.

As for price, I don't think its going to be too much of a concern for anyone buying these cars. These cars are relatively expensive over there. For context (with UK prices), the 2.3L Mustang is about 3x more expensive than the Fiesta. In North America, the 2.3L Mustang is less than twice as expensive. Or thinking of it another way, the ecoboast Mustang starts at the same price as the BMW 4 series. Its not that they are super expensive, but at these prices I doubt there are too many that are highly sensitive to costs. Those that are, probably aren't looking at Mustangs or Camaros in the first place.

Based on what I've seen, in Europe the gap between affordable transportation & your basic pony car is substantially bigger than it is here. So I don't expect very many to get the base model as a result. Overall, its my belief that these kinds of cars are largely an indulgence that you buy because you simply want one -much as the V8 cars are in North America. And if you're getting yourself a big, fun, toy that no matter what is going to be fairly impractical & expensive to own ... why not go all out? In for a penny, in for a pound.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #24
SuperSound

This is a pretty interested read. Didn't find anything in particular to sales but at least confirms there's a lot of interest in the Ecoboost. The question is are they selling around the same number of GTs as before or are they selling fewer GTs with the Ecoboost. Or is it all around good and they simply selling more Mustangs than ever before there. Time will tell.

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages...%20Europe.aspx

Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #25
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Turns out its just a Cruze.

:p
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #26
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Turns out its just a Cruze.

:p
What?!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #27
SuperSound

A turbo Cruze with RS badges?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #28
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Its hard for me to believe the Cruze sounds anything like the car in that video did. No way. I think tomorrow we will see that the Camaro will be there.