Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 06-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #1
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Bose system

So,
Does anyone have any opinions on the new Bose system that will be in the 16's? I love my stock BA system - I think it's great, but is Bose that much better?
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #2
Xeno13

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE / Nightfall Grey
In my opinion for the money - I like Bose better, my BA system is pretty good, however turn up the base and it distorts a bit in my C5 - I had Bose in a few of my other vehicles and I prefer it over BA- better lows and crisper highs
Xeno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
I honestly don't think either system is good for the money. The factory EQ settings aren't great, and the way the equipment is setup poses problems if you want to replace it with something else.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
I honestly don't think either system is good for the money. The factory EQ settings aren't great, and the way the equipment is setup poses problems if you want to replace it with something else.
I'm hoping there is just a basic speaker/radio package so we can install aftermarket ourselves.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I'm generally not a fan of any factory stereo system, no matter who makes it or how expensive it is. There's no substitution for a really nice aftermarket system. Problem with modern cars is multiplex electronics and integration makes aftermarket head units really cumbersome to install.

What I like to do now is keep the factory setup in the dashboard, then use an active line out converter from the factory speaker outputs, active EQ from that, and then run some nice amps and speakers off that. That will really open up your sound system with clean crisp highs, full rich mids, and bass that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. And you can get all that for less than $2,000.

Of course the sky is the limit if you want to get crazy with your sound system, but you can definitely do something for less than two grand that will trounce the factory Bose system.

If you're serious about your music, forgo the Bose system and put your own aftermarket in.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I'm generally not a fan of any factory stereo system, no matter who makes it or how expensive it is. There's no substitution for a really nice aftermarket system. Problem with modern cars is multiplex electronics and integration makes aftermarket head units really cumbersome to install.

What I like to do now is keep the factory setup in the dashboard, then use an active line out converter from the factory speaker outputs, active EQ from that, and then run some nice amps and speakers off that. That will really open up your sound system with clean crisp highs, full rich mids, and bass that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. And you can get all that for less than $2,000.

Of course the sky is the limit if you want to get crazy with your sound system, but you can definitely do something for less than two grand that will trounce the factory Bose system.

If you're serious about your music, forgo the Bose system and put your own aftermarket in.
It comes with the 2LT/ 2SS trim's though.

The easiest way to get a huge upgrade in audio quality is to just replace the speakers. The head unit is fine, and depending on the way it's set up you might just be able to intercept the signal before it goes into the factory amplifier and do whatever you want at that point with a miniDSP and a better amp.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Bose system in my C6 works fine. It's no bowers and wilkins in my wife's Jag, but it's enjoyable enough for some music playing. If I really want to enjoy the music, I would listen to music at home, not in the car.

You'll have beautiful engine sound for your listening pleasure.
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
I am curious to see how the Bose system sounds. The Boston acoustics was ok nothing special

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
It comes with the 2LT/ 2SS trim's though.

The easiest way to get a huge upgrade in audio quality is to just replace the speakers. The head unit is fine, and depending on the way it's set up you might just be able to intercept the signal before it goes into the factory amplifier and do whatever you want at that point with a miniDSP and a better amp.
Upgrading the speakers will give you better quality, but you need a good high current amp that's grounded and powered with 4 awg wire for full powerful sound with minimal distortion and runoff.

I've yet to see a factory amp that strong. MOSFETs baby!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #10
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Upgrading the speakers will give you better quality, but you need a good high current amp that's grounded and powered with 4 awg wire for full powerful sound with minimal distortion and runoff.

I've yet to see a factory amp that strong. MOSFETs baby!
Yes.. That's exactly what I said, you need to upgrade the amp... I'm just saying that upgrading the head unit, which is very expensive, is a very minor sound quality upgrade compared to upgrading the speakers and external amp.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Yes.. That's exactly what I said, you need to upgrade the amp... I'm just saying that upgrading the head unit, which is very expensive, is a very minor sound quality upgrade compared to upgrading the speakers and external amp.
It really depends on the system. Sometimes replacing the headunit provides a good increase in sound quality. With current cars though, I would never consider replacing the headunit. There is far to much integrated with the head unit and aftermarket ones look very out of place.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Sorry I had a brain laps lol!

You can use something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-W34L8x5...LC8i-Gray.html

AudioControl also makes an integrated LOC with full equalizer for about $600.00 if you want even more precision.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
It really depends on the system. Sometimes replacing the headunit provides a good increase in sound quality. With current cars though, I would never consider replacing the headunit. There is far to much integrated with the head unit and aftermarket ones look very out of place.
Yeah I don't think I would ever install an aftermarket head unit in a new car again. You can get them to work with interfaces and all the specific adapter harnesses available now, but they look completely out of place.

The only thing I would say is, and I know I'm going to be laughed at, but I would want a CD player in my Camaro. I know GM has a CD player module for the ATS that installs into the glovebox and connects and interfaces directly with the factory Cadillac CUE system, like the old days when you had a CD changer in it and a cassette factory head unit. I hope GM offers the same thing for the Camaro.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Does Bose use still wierd speaker impedances matched to their amp channels? I don't think you can just take an off the shelf speaker and expect it work correctly with a Bose HU.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote