Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
Forza Exhaust Controller Installation-Supplement

I recently installed the Forza Exhaust Controller on my 2018 SS with GM Performance Exhaust and am happy with the result. Please regard the following as helpful hints, because they are intended to supplement, rather than replace, the instructions that come with the Forza kit.

The Forza Installation Instructions are quite complete but I still read them several times before beginning the installation.

1. Determining mounting location. I already had the GM Cold Air Intake and found the best place to mount the controller away from excessive heat was to mount it on the side of the CAI as the attached photo shows.

2. Routing Wires Since I mounted the controller on the driver's side of the engine compartment, I used the extension wires that come with the Forza kit to get power from the fuse box to the controller. All wiring was shielded with OEM style split tubing because I wanted a factory look. In order to hide the wiring, I removed the plastic cover that shields the area between the radiator and the front of the engine compartment. This is a snap in cover secured by 3 panel mounting "fuzzies" that aren't reusable. I secured replacements at my local Ace Hardware. I zip tied the wiring in this area, using two available holes, and snapped the cover back in place. This approach allowed enough wire to reach the fuse box and attach the ground wire to the ground post adjacent to the box.

3.Fuse Box Preparation In order to fit the Forza Fuse Tap wiring and retain the ability to snap the Fuse Box Lid in place I used a rat tail file in the corner of the fuse box highlighted by the red arrow in the attached photo.

4. Remote Location The attached photo shows where I placed the Forza remote in the console using industrial grade Velcro. I wasn't interested in having the remote on my key chain and wanted it hidden. Although the Kit allows for it, I couldn't use my Homelink, because the Forza system requires two buttons and I'm already using two for a gate and a shop door. In addition to remote control, the Forza kit can be hard wired, but after testing, the remote works well, and using it avoids the hassle of securing a switch, penetrating the firewall, and running wires under the dash.

Conclusion: I've got my exhaust set in the Stealth mode which keeps things quiet if needed, and use the Forza Controller to keep the exhaust open for my normal driving.
Attached Images

Last edited by ac-427; 11-28-2017 at 09:51 AM.
ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
I use my homelink for mine as just one door opener needed. Just a thought, maybe program it just to open as once I turn my car off it reverts back to closed.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
pkssauce

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
can you provide any more details around this? I've been considering a solution for awhile now on how to do this. Does it help the initial burp upon cold start up? So far my way around that is going into accessory mode, putting it in stealth, then starting the car. Would like to simplify that process.

(I wake up real early and leave the house before the rest of my family is awake, I try to keep it quiet before I get to the main road)

TCFCB4
1000: 12/08/2015
2000: 12/08/2015
3000: 12/10/2015
3000: 12/12/2105 - TPW 1/11/2016
3100: 12/18/2015 - TPW 1/18/2016
3300: 12/23/2015 - TPW 1/11/2016
3400: 12/24/2015
3800: 01/19/2016
4300: 01/20/2016, 4200: 1/28/2016, 4300: 1/29/2016, 4B00: 1/30/2016, 4200: 2/7/2016 (train), 4800: 2/19/2016, 5000: 2/22/2016, 6000: 2/25/2016
pkssauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
ac-427

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkssauce View Post
can you provide any more details around this? I've been considering a solution for awhile now on how to do this. Does it help the initial burp upon cold start up? So far my way around that is going into accessory mode, putting it in stealth, then starting the car. Would like to simplify that process.

(I wake up real early and leave the house before the rest of my family is awake, I try to keep it quiet before I get to the main road)
PK: I leave mine in stealth all the time and use the controller to open things up if I want more noise. This seems to quiet down the initial bark when starting up in the morning.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
...maybe program it just to open as once I turn my car off it reverts back to closed.
So the Forza defaults to "off" (back to factory control) when the car is shut off each time?
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
ac-427

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
So the Forza defaults to "off" (back to factory control) when the car is shut off each time?
I don't have a direct answer for that, but according to Steve Bisel, button "A" leaves the exhaust butterfly open at all times while button "B" reverts the system to normal ICU control. I'm running mine on the open configuration (A) unless I really need quiet, then I hit (B) for normal ICU operation. Since I leave the car in the factory Stealth setting, it is pretty quiet on B and quite gnarley on A.

Here is a direct quote from Steve: Pressing Button A will force the bypass valves to remain open at all times. Pressing Button B will return control of the bypass valve back to the car’s ECU. This is as if the controller is not there at all. Pure stock mode.

Note: when your car is idling, you will not hear any difference between the two functions. This is because the Camaro is programmed to leave the valves open when engine RPM is at idle. In normal mode, the bypass valves will close when you start to accelerate. So you will only hear the difference pressing the buttons when you are moving … typically the engine will be higher RPM than at idle.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-427 View Post

Note: when your car is idling, you will not hear any difference between the two functions. This is because the Camaro is programmed to leave the valves open when engine RPM is at idle. In normal mode, the bypass valves will close when you start to accelerate. So you will only hear the difference pressing the buttons when you are moving … typically the engine will be higher RPM than at idle.[/I]
This note is definitely incorrect. Even completely stock, once the car is warmed up you can use the Engine Sound Management menu to change between Stealth and Track....you will definitely hear a difference. On cold start it may not actually close the valves for a min or so.

I'm using the M2W controller and I can immediately shut the valves by leaving the ESM set to Stealth, then clicking the M2W to "on" to let the computer close it...even on a cold start.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
ac-427

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
This note is definitely incorrect. Even completely stock, once the car is warmed up you can use the Engine Sound Management menu to change between Stealth and Track....you will definitely hear a difference. On cold start it may not actually close the valves for a min or so.

I'm using the M2W controller and I can immediately shut the valves by leaving the ESM set to Stealth, then clicking the M2W to "on" to let the computer close it...even on a cold start.
Interesting info, As I’m no expert, I’m quoting Bisel because he sells the Forza controller and ought to know how things work.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Interesting info, As I’m no expert, I’m quoting Bisel because he sells the Forza controller and ought to know how things work.
Yep I'm with you. Just don't know why he said that unless he was thinking about another car's setup. You can prove my statement by leaving the computer in control of NPP and cycle the modes at idle. You definitely will hear it open in Track. Or check out Saabkyle's great video. Watch around 2:05 mark for him to cycle modes at idle. You can hear the valves open/close as well.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #10
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
There are two ways as I remember to install. One way cuts power and other way leaves the power there. Remember not much power is there but there is a button on it to manually turn it off for vacations etc. if you go that route. Super easy install. If you can figure out how to open the hood you can do the install.

Be careful there is another one out there which I ordered first. Didn’t work in my 17 so he sent me a 2nd one which also didn’t work. Don’t know if they were faulty or not but for the $10 more this one is a heavy duty quality part. The reason I bought it was every morning starting my car it was open exhaust for first second. This fixed it. Mustang fixed it on their 18s.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #11
ac-427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
There are two ways as I remember to install. One way cuts power and other way leaves the power there. Remember not much power is there but there is a button on it to manually turn it off for vacations etc. if you go that route. Super easy install. If you can figure out how to open the hood you can do the install.

Be careful there is another one out there which I ordered first. Didn’t work in my 17 so he sent me a 2nd one which also didn’t work. Don’t know if they were faulty or not but for the $10 more this one is a heavy duty quality part. The reason I bought it was every morning starting my car it was open exhaust for first second. This fixed it. Mustang fixed it on their 18s.
After a couple of days with the Forza, and the car set in Stealth, I noticed a small difference in idle tone between the "A" (butterfly constantly open) and "B" (normal computer control). In setting "B" there is a momentary bark at startup until the butterflies close for quiet operation. In "A" they are open when the car is turned off and remain open when it is started again.

One thing confusing about the Forza instructions is that they refer to positions "1" and "2" throughout, rather than the letters "A" or "B" used on the remote buttons. This causes confusion. The fix is to rewrite the instructions or change the remote buttons from A-B to 1-2.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #12
forzasteve

Drives: Love any sports cars
Hello All.

Steve here from Forza Exhaust Controllers. I just ran into this thread and thought I would clarify some things.

First ... on the Camaro Gen5, the valves are vacuum controlled. As such they are binary. I.e., they are open or closed. Nothing in between. At idle, the Gen5 leaves the valves open and then upon taking off, closes the valves until a certain engine RPM and throttle position thresholds are reached, then the ECU opens the valves.

The Gen6 Camaro uses electrically operated valves. You have various settings on your car that will affect if the valves are open or closed and the amount they are open or closed. An entirely different method to operate / control the valves.

The instructions referred to in this thread were for the Model C controller which has been replaced with the Model E ... the instructions were cleaned up a bit to remove any confusion.

I would appreciate it if you would review the instructions and let me know if you have comments or suggestions ... here is link to the instructions manual ... http://forzacomponenti.com/documents...n_06june18.pdf

Regards,

Steve

Quote:
After a couple of days with the Forza, and the car set in Stealth, I noticed a small difference in idle tone between the "A" (butterfly constantly open) and "B" (normal computer control). In setting "B" there is a momentary bark at startup until the butterflies close for quiet operation. In "A" they are open when the car is turned off and remain open when it is started again.

One thing confusing about the Forza instructions is that they refer to positions "1" and "2" throughout, rather than the letters "A" or "B" used on the remote buttons. This causes confusion. The fix is to rewrite the instructions or change the remote buttons from A-B to 1-2.
forzasteve is offline   Reply With Quote