Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Oh you guys can tow all you want it's your car. Have at it.

It's just not designed to do so. If you ask for advice about it, don't be surprised or offended that people tell you not to do it.
+1
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #16
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekonsha-118...-/263181561992
Some body is making a harness for it.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #17
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
I don't see a problem either. Increased clutch wear maybe.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #18
DesmonicDuc46

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
Just ordered a Curt hitch and wiring harness myself. Planning on pulling a motorcycle and trailer with mine, probably going to be at 1100-1200 lbs. A friend towed 2 motorcycles with his 5th gen 1LE, no problems. I'm not worried.
DesmonicDuc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #19
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
As someone who knows nothing about towing, what is the difference in stress to transmission/etc between A) a car carrying four 250lb adults plus some cargo in the trunk, and B) a car carrying one 250lb adult and pulling a 1000lb trailer?
The total amount of weight being moved by the engine/transmission is the same, just moved from inside the cabin to behind.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #20
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I don't know, but I wouldn't want to be in a 6th gen as one of the 4 250+ pound people, yikes.

Well, it's fine for me as the driver..

Maybe change my example to two 250 lb people and 500 lbs of "stuff" in the back seat/trunk.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #21
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
I wouldn't worry about the car handling it, I'd be worried about the hitch not being mounted to a sturdy location of the chassis. Maybe where they mount the hitch is only strong enough for a bike rack.

If its mounted to sheet metal that is only designed to hold a plastic bumper, then I would worry. If the mounting points are beefy, id tow with it.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #22
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Part of what goes into the load advisory in the owners manual is chassis configuration and strength/load stress at specific points on the chassis.

Pulling 1000 pounds on a trailer connected to the rear bumper subframe is a VERY different load and stress calc on the chassis than having 1000 pounds of people/luggage inside the interior and in the trunk. It also forces all suspension components to shift load and stress points.

Towing is not just about your engine, transmission, and brakes. It puts load on the entire car. A Silverado pickup truck is engineered from the start with all of that in mind. A Camaro isn't.

If GM says don't tow, don't tow.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #23
Calcanuck

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmonicDuc46 View Post
Just ordered a Curt hitch and wiring harness myself. Planning on pulling a motorcycle and trailer with mine, probably going to be at 1100-1200 lbs. A friend towed 2 motorcycles with his 5th gen 1LE, no problems. I'm not worried.
How did the install for this turn out? Did you have to. It the rear bumper? Looking to tow a trucker with tires for the track.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 11-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #24
tecmec

Drives: 2016 2SS
The hitch receivers available for this car all attach at the bumper beam attach points. You remove the crash beam, slide the hitch over the studs, and reinstall the beam on top. The Draw-Tite receiver doesn't even require cutting the bumper cover, so the install is completely reversible.

I installed the receiver only to carry a bike rack. I'm not sure how much I'd want to tow a trailer though. I wouldn't be so worried about the drivetrain or suspension, so much as the forces on the unibody. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the attach points may be strong, but they're designed to be strong for a completely different type of force. The direction of the forces from a crash impact would be completely different, and they wouldn't be repeated. Towing a trailer would cause a repeated stress on the mount points.

The fact that the ATS can tow, and uses the same type of hitch is certainly interesting though. It's hard to say whether they beefed up the mount points differently on the Cadillacs, or whether the lack of a tow rating on the Camaro is just kind of arbitrary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
tecmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #25
Calcanuck

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmec View Post
The hitch receivers available for this car all attach at the bumper beam attach points. You remove the crash beam, slide the hitch over the studs, and reinstall the beam on top. The Draw-Tite receiver doesn't even require cutting the bumper cover, so the install is completely reversible.

I installed the receiver only to carry a bike rack. I'm not sure how much I'd want to tow a trailer though. I wouldn't be so worried about the drivetrain or suspension, so much as the forces on the unibody. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the attach points may be strong, but they're designed to be strong for a completely different type of force. The direction of the forces from a crash impact would be completely different, and they wouldn't be repeated. Towing a trailer would cause a repeated stress on the mount points.

The fact that the ATS can tow, and uses the same type of hitch is certainly interesting though. It's hard to say whether they beefed up the mount points differently on the Cadillacs, or whether the lack of a tow rating on the Camaro is just kind of arbitrary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. Like you I also want this for a bike rack.

Shawn.