Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 12-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
ride98red

Drives: 2017 Summit White Chevy Camaro 2SS
Aftermarket Audio Options

Nothing to do with a Camaro, however; I just purchased my "winter setup" - a 2005 RCSB Silverado. It is a very basic truck and came with 2 blown speakers so...would like to get a new audio setup. Wondering if any of you have replaced or installed an audio system that had nav, xm, backup camera, etc., etc.? I know nothing about this topic and am looking for recommendations for good manufactures.
I loved loved loved the JBL (factory) system I had in my 2006 Tundra limited - absolutely best audio system I've ever had in a vehicle so I'm looking at JBL speakers but need some advice on the head unit.

For kicks, a pic of the truck.

ride98red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #2
Rooster OG

Drives: 2016
Do some reading on the Silverado forums, I bet there are diys there of installs on trucks similar to yours.
Rooster OG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride98red View Post
Nothing to do with a Camaro, however; I just purchased my "winter setup" - a 2005 RCSB Silverado. It is a very basic truck and came with 2 blown speakers so...would like to get a new audio setup. Wondering if any of you have replaced or installed an audio system that had nav, xm, backup camera, etc., etc.? I know nothing about this topic and am looking for recommendations for good manufactures.
I loved loved loved the JBL (factory) system I had in my 2006 Tundra limited - absolutely best audio system I've ever had in a vehicle so I'm looking at JBL speakers but need some advice on the head unit.

For kicks, a pic of the truck.

Very nice "winter ride"!!! Pretty much all factory setup speakers are made with paper cones, not the silicone/plastic that aftermarket speakers are made of. These are usually a lot better, last longer, and aren't as prone to defects as the factory ones.

Really, all it takes is replacing the factory speakers with decent aftermarkets, and they should be fairly plug and play. As for the headunit, that really boils down to what you want. Certain headunits will add features you can use (such as bluetooth for cellphone), while others will just be expensive because of the brand.

I've done audio installs in the past, and trucks are generally pretty easy to do yourself because of the space in the vehicle's engine bay. You'll need to probably look at getting a small amplifier if you really want the quality sound for JBL as well.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
ride98red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster OG View Post
Do some reading on the Silverado forums, I bet there are diys there of installs on trucks similar to yours.
I'm not asking for DIY guidance, I'm looking for opinions on names (i.e. Sony, Pioneer, etc.) that some folks may have used in their Camaro or even another vehicle they may have.
Im a member on GMFS but that site really sucks. Mostly people who like to bash one another and getting a response is hit or miss.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
ride98red

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Very nice "winter ride"!!! Pretty much all factory setup speakers are made with paper cones, not the silicone/plastic that aftermarket speakers are made of. These are usually a lot better, last longer, and aren't as prone to defects as the factory ones.

Really, all it takes is replacing the factory speakers with decent aftermarkets, and they should be fairly plug and play. As for the headunit, that really boils down to what you want. Certain headunits will add features you can use (such as bluetooth for cellphone), while others will just be expensive because of the brand.

I've done audio installs in the past, and trucks are generally pretty easy to do yourself because of the space in the vehicle's engine bay. You'll need to probably look at getting a small amplifier if you really want the quality sound for JBL as well.
Appreciate the input. What brands have you used in the past and what were the results? I'm not an audiophile by any stretch so I'm not looking for top quality sound but I do appreciate cranking up the volume once in a while and when I do, I like to hear good sound.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride98red View Post
Appreciate the input. What brands have you used in the past and what were the results? I'm not an audiophile by any stretch so I'm not looking for top quality sound but I do appreciate cranking up the volume once in a while and when I do, I like to hear good sound.
Truthfully, I've used many over the years. JBL, Bose, Pioneer, Kicker, JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate Punch, etc...all of them have pro's and con's...

The biggest thing isn't the brand, but the sound you want. If you just want something to cruise to, the best thing is to get the most for your money (subs, amp, headunit, etc..)

You can make a Sony Xplod system sound really good if it's built/setup properly for a little money. You can also make a $2000 system sound like crap with the wrong setup too. If you want to do it right, I'd recommend replacing all the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers. A decent headunit and that alone will provide good or better than factory sound. If you want to add subs, you'll want to look at adding a small amplifier.

I'd honestly suggest considering that anyways as some aftermarket speakers sound even better with the extra amps going to them.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
Rooster OG

Drives: 2016
I used Crutchfield to design a system for my wife’s Jeep and my sons Elantra. They aren’t the cheapest, but they have all the stuff you need. I went with Alpine for her because she wanted Bluetooth for her phone, a backup camera, XM and the steering wheel controls to work. The Elantra got a JVC cause it was functional and cheap.
Rooster OG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster OG View Post
I used Crutchfield to design a system for my wife’s Jeep and my sons Elantra. They aren’t the cheapest, but they have all the stuff you need. I went with Alpine for her because she wanted Bluetooth for her phone, a backup camera, XM and the steering wheel controls to work. The Elantra got a JVC cause it was functional and cheap.
+1