Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #113
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan325 View Post
Can you elaborate on WHY to this? Or point me to a thread where you already did?

I ask because my buddy just put these on his 2014 and I was very impressed with them. I was considering them for myself as well, but I keep getting torn between these and a standard longtube design
Stepped headers are designed to optimize scavenging and create more power and a broader torque curve than standard straight tube headers. The stepped design is acoustically tuned specifically for their application, some math is involved in order to get it right. When the shock wave from the exhaust valve opening travels across the step it reflects back towards the exhaust valve creating a negative pressure. It's like the waves caused by throwing a rock into water, when the waves hit something like the edge of a pool, they reflect back.

When the step(s) are at the correct length for the application, this wave of negative pressure assists scavenging of the next exhaust cycle by pulling it out into the pressure drop created. The negative pressure could be something like 3-5 PSI at the exhaust valve. This is usually at tuned length of either the HP peak rpm of the engine for a drag car, or the mid-range operating rpm of a street or road race car. The Tri-Y uses similar theory but with a different approach. Placement is just as important.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #114
DarknightSS

Drives: CGM SS
Im looking into headers and just wondering what your thoughts on JBA LT and HF are? Im looking on their site to find if they're 304 stainless steel and CNC bent. My other choice would be Kooks
DarknightSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #115
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Stepped headers are designed to optimize scavenging and create more power and a broader torque curve than standard straight tube headers. The stepped design is acoustically tuned specifically for their application, some math is involved in order to get it right. When the shock wave from the exhaust valve opening travels across the step it reflects back towards the exhaust valve creating a negative pressure. It's like the waves caused by throwing a rock into water, when the waves hit something like the edge of a pool, they reflect back.

When the step(s) are at the correct length for the application, this wave of negative pressure assists scavenging of the next exhaust cycle by pulling it out into the pressure drop created. The negative pressure could be something like 3-5 PSI at the exhaust valve. This is usually at tuned length of either the HP peak rpm of the engine for a drag car, or the mid-range operating rpm of a street or road race car. The Tri-Y uses similar theory but with a different approach. Placement is just as important.
Excellent information! My buddy wound up with the doug thorley 1 7/8" Try-Y. Lets' say for example I went with TSP/SW/Kooks (basically any standard long tube design) What would I gain/lose compared to going with the DT headers?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #116
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan325 View Post
Excellent information! My buddy wound up with the doug thorley 1 7/8" Try-Y. Lets' say for example I went with TSP/SW/Kooks (basically any standard long tube design) What would I gain/lose compared to going with the DT headers?
Short of back-to-back testing the only way you can answer that is to say in general the benefit of the Tri-Y design is in the mid-range and straight tubes do better at the higher RPMs.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #117
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
That's pretty much what I was hearing as well - thank you for the confirmation
Old 09-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #118
WhitePhantomSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Hey Chase i just installed Solos Mach XL exhaust on my car. And was wondering what would you recommend the next step in performance would you take without losing the warranty. I was thinking Solo High flow cats but I'm not a professional.lol
WhitePhantomSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #119
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePhantomSS View Post
Hey Chase i just installed Solos Mach XL exhaust on my car. And was wondering what would you recommend the next step in performance would you take without losing the warranty. I was thinking Solo High flow cats but I'm not a professional.lol
Is the Solo exhaust all you have done to the car? Their high flow cats will add some sound and power without jeopardizing your warranty.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #120
WhitePhantomSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Yeah that's all I have done.
WhitePhantomSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #121
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePhantomSS View Post
Yeah that's all I have done.
In that case do not ignore the intake side. You should consider a good intake, scoop, and ported throttle body upgrade.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #122
Adversanized
CAMMED OUT

Drives: 2010 camaro ss V8 l99 to LS3.
I have a 2010 camaro with a Borla ATAK catback exhaust. I am looking to buy Anerican Racing headers in the near future. They are longtubes 1-7/8 x 3". Its a short connection with Cat delete pipes. Will this bolt right up to my catback exhaust? Please help.
Adversanized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #123
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversanized View Post
I have a 2010 camaro with a Borla ATAK catback exhaust. I am looking to buy Anerican Racing headers in the near future. They are longtubes 1-7/8 x 3". Its a short connection with Cat delete pipes. Will this bolt right up to my catback exhaust? Please help.
Yes, as long as you get the short connection it will bolt up.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #124
jose1003

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Cyber Gray
Mr. Chase
What do you think about the jba longtubes 1 7/8 and high flow cats
Old 12-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #125
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose1003 View Post
Mr. Chase
What do you think about the jba longtubes 1 7/8 and high flow cats
For the money you get a better product with Stainless Power. JBA uses 14 gauge mild steel for their coated headers or 400 series stainless for the uncoated. 400 series is the same thing used for your stock exhaust so it will rust.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #126
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
I haven't read the whole thread, but didn't see this answered in the original post.

Are there significant differences in noise between designs and brands? I don't mean the good noise like exhaust rumble, but am instead talking about the increase in tick/tap at the headers themselves that headers can cause.
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american racing headers, kooks, long tube headers, pfadt, stainless works