Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #99
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
That is great work....More than most of us can achieve, but it's hard to not favor these more modern designs. They just look like a more viable evolution of the icon. Your design reminds me of an Australian (Holden) sibling to a 2003-2009 Camaro-like car. Then again, it just may be a limitation in the tool you are using to render. We may just be missing the finer details that these other renders can portray.

Here's another angle of the alternate design.

Last edited by silverds; 08-08-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #100
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
That is great work....More than most of us can achieve, but it's hard to not favor these more modern designs. They just look like a more viable evolution of the icon. Your design reminds me of an Australian (Holden) sibling to a 2003-2009 Camaro-like car. Then again, it just may be a limitation in the tool you are using to render. We may just be missing the finer details that these other renders can portray.

All this is, is a shorter 5th gen with a remodeled rear end and rims. its sleek, but doesnt match 6th gen. A 6th gen will be a new platform and while it willresemble a 5th gen, this version is just WAYYYY too close to one. Not really a revamp.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #101
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post

I'm drawing these by hand in Adobe Illustrator so it's purely by eye. The renderings you posted are done in a 3d program that can calculate angles, shape, surfaces, lighting and reflections so they look more real.

If by modern you mean extreme, then yes that's what you see there in those renderings. I'm not a fan of that kind of look myself but I know others are. Those kinds of designs tend to have exaggerated shapes and sizing which don't really lend themselves to practical use or manufacturing. It might look interesting at a show but you probably wouldn't want to drive around in something like that; especially as a daily driver.

I'm trying to come up with a design that's reasonably practical and capable of being produced in a manufacturing assembly plant. It's not going to be extreme looking but then I don't think the Camaro was ever that kind of style anyways so what I'm doing is more in line with what is generally accepted as the look of a Camaro.

I do appreciate everyone's participation, comments and efforts though! Here's an updated rendition of the perspective view but with some depth detail in the front cutouts.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept2fp.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  120.7 KB

If I could put this design in a 3d program and knew how to create this shape in it then you'd see MUCH better images of what this should look like.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #102
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's a version with long light bar running/turn lights in the front to echo the light bar theme of the fog/DRL lamps below. I also made the round headlights a touch bigger and moved them up slightly so the very top is under the hood line.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept2fap.jpg
Views: 1841
Size:  72.8 KB

I know it's not traditional; the Camaro never used bar lamps like this but I kind of like it. Has a more "futurish" look.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #103
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I like the direction you're going in, however I'm curious...

Do you think future cars are going to have softened body lines or do you think manufacturer's will make body lines more angular and pronounced?

I tend to believe that a good cue to base your concept off of would be the Corvette.

C5:

C6:

C7:

You can see how the body lines progressed from soft curves to hard lines. I have a feeling the Camaro will follow suit, and you'll see many more details pop up in the 6th Gen Camaro's side profile than there currently are.

For instance, I could see the door handle going away completely and something similar to the Corvettes being introduced. I think the fender arch over the front wheel may be exaggerated a little more. And I can easily see the lines from both the front and rear fender arches being projected into the door. Just some ideas...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #104
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I like the direction you're going in, however I'm curious...

Do you think future cars are going to have softened body lines or do you think manufacturer's will make body lines more angular and pronounced?

I tend to believe that a good cue to base your concept off of would be the Corvette.

C5:

C6:

C7:

You can see how the body lines progressed from soft curves to hard lines. I have a feeling the Camaro will follow suit, and you'll see many more details pop up in the 6th Gen Camaro's side profile than there currently are.

For instance, I could see the door handle going away completely and something similar to the Corvettes being introduced. I think the fender arch over the front wheel may be exaggerated a little more. And I can easily see the lines from both the front and rear fender arches being projected into the door. Just some ideas...

Name:  2016 Camaro Concept2faSide.jpg
Views: 2686
Size:  90.0 KB

The trend is "extreme"; extreme shapes, exaggerated lines, jagged, slashy, pointed.... basically Japanese Anime seems to be the inspiration most designers are influenced by. Everybody is trying to do shapes that are "edgy". The problem with that is, if everybody is doing the same edgy looks, it doesn't look edgy anymore; it just looks trendy. And trendy quickly becomes dated.

In order to create product shapes that extend their appeal out over long periods of time you can't do too much trendy. The 1956-57 Chevy, and the 1967-69 Camaro...those cars to this day still turn heads on the road and still look good. If you took a look at cars that were about 50 years old in 1956 or 1967, you'd be looking at a 1906 or 1917 car. They were not "in fashion" in 56 or 67.

Looking at the C7 sideview you posted, the one thing about that design I DON'T like is that over-large, slash vent behind the front wheels. To me that looks gimmicky and out of place. I like that they took the rear fender line and let it glide down to the front bumper height on it's own. That effectively creates a separate visual wedge shape apart from the front fender line. Nice trick that works.

I am deliberately trying to avoid creating a 4 door Vette with the shapes I'm working with. Certain design/style elements are pretty solidly identified with certain cars; like the door handles on the Vette. I want to come up with designs that respect those kinds of things. The Corvette was always the wild child; it's able to get away with more dramatic shapes and details than say, a Camaro.

Looking at the side view of my design below the current 5th gen up above, you can see how far it actually departs from it. I'm right on the edge of it not looking like a Camaro anymore. The rear fender line extends much further towards the front and makes for a more continuous shape with the front fender. On the 5th gen the front shape stops at the rear edge of the door. The back of the car is a separate visual shape. On mine the entire body is one organic shape. The top of the windshield on mine is tilted farther back and the bottom of the windshield is farther forward. Overall mine is a more refined look, the way the 1970 was compared to the 1969 style it replaced.

You made great points though and I don't know what direction the designers are going in. Hopefully they avoid trendy gimmicks and go for a more timeless look.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #105
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
I like the effort. I actually see a little ferrari in the design. I would like it more muscular without wrecking your clean design. Kudos!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #106
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
I still think the hood scoop needs to come up more. It's in perfect semetry with the rest of the hood.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #107
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Okay I knew there was something wrong in the front with the perspective view and I figured out what it was so that's fixed now in this render. I also added some shading detail.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept2fap2.jpg
Views: 1983
Size:  110.7 KB

Based on some of your guy's feedback I've done a variation on the side view with a vent behind the front wheel and removed the side groove in the body. Not enough? Too much? No good?
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept2fbSide.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  123.9 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #108
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I say no on the front side vent, it just does not flow with the design.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #109
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Another update with the wheels this time.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept2fap2.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  127.5 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #110
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Have you considered raising that style line up from the middle of the door to the top of the front fender to emulate the 69 Camaro look a bit? That might reduce that '90's look I referred to and give the thought process more room to develop interesting what if's from as the line goes rearward. I also think the rear fender needs more "hump". You could dive that line back into the aforementioned line...just thinking out loud...
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #111
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

The trend is "extreme"; extreme shapes, exaggerated lines, jagged, slashy, pointed.... basically Japanese Anime seems to be the inspiration most designers are influenced by. Everybody is trying to do shapes that are "edgy". The problem with that is, if everybody is doing the same edgy looks, it doesn't look edgy anymore; it just looks trendy. And trendy quickly becomes dated.

In order to create product shapes that extend their appeal out over long periods of time you can't do too much trendy. The 1956-57 Chevy, and the 1967-69 Camaro...those cars to this day still turn heads on the road and still look good. If you took a look at cars that were about 50 years old in 1956 or 1967, you'd be looking at a 1906 or 1917 car. They were not "in fashion" in 56 or 67.

Looking at the C7 sideview you posted, the one thing about that design I DON'T like is that over-large, slash vent behind the front wheels. To me that looks gimmicky and out of place. I like that they took the rear fender line and let it glide down to the front bumper height on it's own. That effectively creates a separate visual wedge shape apart from the front fender line. Nice trick that works.

I am deliberately trying to avoid creating a 4 door Vette with the shapes I'm working with. Certain design/style elements are pretty solidly identified with certain cars; like the door handles on the Vette. I want to come up with designs that respect those kinds of things. The Corvette was always the wild child; it's able to get away with more dramatic shapes and details than say, a Camaro.

Looking at the side view of my design below the current 5th gen up above, you can see how far it actually departs from it. I'm right on the edge of it not looking like a Camaro anymore. The rear fender line extends much further towards the front and makes for a more continuous shape with the front fender. On the 5th gen the front shape stops at the rear edge of the door. The back of the car is a separate visual shape. On mine the entire body is one organic shape. The top of the windshield on mine is tilted farther back and the bottom of the windshield is farther forward. Overall mine is a more refined look, the way the 1970 was compared to the 1969 style it replaced.

You made great points though and I don't know what direction the designers are going in. Hopefully they avoid trendy gimmicks and go for a more timeless look.
I agree, but time will tell which "trends" will just be a passing fad and which will become iconic and timeless.

The Vette images I posted were more to show the evolution of the design and sharper edges than to illustrate what I think should be carried over to the Camaro. The vent behind the front tire on the C7 would never make sense on a Camaro, but it makes total sense on the Corvette for two reasons; there's always been a vent there (at least for the past few generations) and this new Corvette is the "Stingray" and they somewhat resemble gills.

But if you compare your profile drawing to, say, a third gen:

I can't help but feel that the rendering is regressing (minus the T-Tops) and not progressing. Does that make sense?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #112
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Have you considered raising that style line up from the middle of the door to the top of the front fender to emulate the 69 Camaro look a bit? That might reduce that '90's look I referred to and give the thought process more room to develop interesting what if's from as the line goes rearward. I also think the rear fender needs more "hump". You could dive that line back into the aforementioned line...just thinking out loud...
Okay I see what you're saying. I'll try both; moving the center line up and trail it off from the top of the front wheel well, and give the rear fender more height on the top and feed that line forward to the top of the front wheel well. That might be an interesting look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I agree, but time will tell which "trends" will just be a passing fad and which will become iconic and timeless.

The Vette images I posted were more to show the evolution of the design and sharper edges than to illustrate what I think should be carried over to the Camaro. The vent behind the front tire on the C7 would never make sense on a Camaro, but it makes total sense on the Corvette for two reasons; there's always been a vent there (at least for the past few generations) and this new Corvette is the "Stingray" and they somewhat resemble gills.

But if you compare your profile drawing to, say, a third gen:

I can't help but feel that the rendering is regressing (minus the T-Tops) and not progressing. Does that make sense?
Yes what you're saying makes sense and I do understand your point. However keep in mind that if I do a style that looks and feels like a Camaro, that's going to mean it carries forward styling hints from previous generations. I don't want to completely abandon the heritage and start doing something totally different from anything before. I guarantee if my design were made in the flesh and sitting next to that third gen, you'd immediately see how much sleeker, more refined and more powerful my design would look.

It's difficult to decide which style elements to pull from the past and yet do something that's new enough to look like it's new. After 55 years of low, swept and swoopy shapes from just about every car company on the planet it's pretty near impossible to do a design that doesn't in some way have a hint of something done before. When you're doing something based on a car with such an incredibly strong identity as a Camaro, that task is even more difficult.

I'll keep working on it. I can eliminate the side groove and make the difference in the curves between the front and rear fenders more pronounced to help beef up the look. Right now it's sleek and aerodynamic; it's a blue-nose dolphin and people seem to want a great white shark.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Closed Thread

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation