Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-09-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
Best Clear Bra?

Im getting my front bumper re painted since i have it off tbe vehicle. Contemplating if i should clear bra the front bumper or not? What are your thoughts?
Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:18 AM   #2
Nighthawk89

Im between Xpel and suntek
Old 07-09-2015, 04:37 AM   #3
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Your paint will have to be completely dried and cured before you can add a PPF. Be sure it's polished prior to application as any defects will be magnified if not fixed before application. This is a good video that explains the installation process.

Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #4
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Getting my Vert wrapped with Xpel next week. I can let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
Getting my Vert wrapped with Xpel next week. I can let you know how it turns out.
Appreciate it. From what i was reading the xpel isnt as glossy as suntek and suntek has a slightly better healing ability to insects and dings from small rocks.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
IMO, you're better off not clearbraing and just repainting every few years. Cheaper in the end, less hassle, and no unsightly clearbra edges or potential yellowing from sunlight exposure. Not to mention, if you get a bad installer, they might use a knife to make the cuts on the film.

What I do is I use one of those Novistretch stretch bras on my front bumper if I'm going on highways or expressways, and that over the years has prevented a lot of chips and bug genocides on my bumper. When I drive around town, I don't put it on, but it's perfect for the highway and can be taken off and put on within a minute.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
I have the Suntek, not sure about the healing properties. I heard xpel was better, but not sure.
mine were cut on a machine before the install.
Also I did some paint correction and was able to polish the bra as well.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
I have the Suntek, not sure about the healing properties. I heard xpel was better, but not sure.
mine were cut on a machine before the install.
Also I did some paint correction and was able to polish the bra as well.
I heard suntek was better. xpel has more of an orange peel look to it.
Would you say yours is pretty glossy? Can you post a picture of it by any chance?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
mdolandese

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red Vert
Xpel Ultimate self healing is the way to go My opinion is better then Suntek. I have know problems and know regrets and know orange peel just what you see on your paint already. Won't be disappointed and the warranty is for 10 years parts and labor if any discoloring occurs or peels. Just make sure you do your homework on the installer. It's all about the install good luck. Just MY OPINION.
mdolandese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #10
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdolandese View Post
Xpel Ultimate self healing is the way to go My opinion is better then Suntek. I have know problems and know regrets and know orange peel just what you see on your paint already. Won't be disappointed and the warranty is for 10 years parts and labor if any discoloring occurs or peels. Just make sure you do your homework on the installer. It's all about the install good luck. Just MY OPINION.
Open to all opinions forsure. I am not biased to either or. Ive heard great things about both. To date ive heard more about suntek when searching through google. My detial guy Dave at innovative detialing uses xpel and recommends it. Not sure if hes used suntek though. Im going to reveiw both applications in person and decide.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #11
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
IMO, you're better off not clearbraing and just repainting every few years. Cheaper in the end, less hassle, and no unsightly clearbra edges or potential yellowing from sunlight exposure. Not to mention, if you get a bad installer, they might use a knife to make the cuts on the film.

What I do is I use one of those Novistretch stretch bras on my front bumper if I'm going on highways or expressways, and that over the years has prevented a lot of chips and bug genocides on my bumper. When I drive around town, I don't put it on, but it's perfect for the highway and can be taken off and put on within a minute.
Totally 110% disagree. Clear bra will save your original paint, and with a little care they last many years and you have NO chips. Way better option than just letting your car get all chipped up and having a repainted hood and bumper. Best investment you can make to keep your car looking new.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #12
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
Totally 110% disagree. Clear bra will save your original paint, and with a little care they last many years and you have NO chips. Way better option than just letting your car get all chipped up and having a repainted hood and bumper. Best investment you can make to keep your car looking new.
I agree. Im paying $350 for my front fascia to be repainted. It would be $390 to clear bra as well as clear bra my headlights. Money would have been well spent if i would have done it when i first got the car. Im also going to be repainting my gills on the rear corner pannels and clear bra'ing those and installing splash guards on both front and rear wheels with ZL1 side skirts.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:45 AM   #13
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdolandese View Post
This. They did not have the self-healing when I had mine installed in Dec '09.

I have clearbra on:
Full Front
Full Hood
Full Qtr panels
A Pillars
Side Mirrors
8" strip above windshield
behind door handles (no ring scratches).

It was all installed two days after purchase of the car. I guess it was my first mod. Best thing I have done for the car, as I have a lot of interstate and hwy miles on it.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #14
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
Okay first of all yes definately do the clear bra!!!!!! She you can get it repainted every few years but during that time you will have to look at all those dents and chips. You will have to wait until the paint has cured first. Xpel Ultimate is a little thicker than Suntek so my install person recommended Xpel on the front bumper for that reason. However, there is nothing wrong with putting Suntek on front bumper either. Getting either of these high quality film will not result in yellowing or any issues other than to preserve your paint. I have Xpel Ultimate on front bumper, front splitter, headlights, side mirrors, gills, side rockers and ground effects, A Pillars and part roof....I have Suntek on full hood and full front fenders. You cannot tell the difference cosmetically between the two films. My Xpel areas look just as clear as the Suntek areas. A good installer makes the difference. You will not notice it is there on your front bumper except a few relief lines that are barely noticeable. Go to a certified installer of Xpel is my opinion. Here is the Xpel website for locating a certified installer:
http://locator.xpel.com/
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote