Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #15
hlyshft

Drives: 1LE VS Boss (It's a family feud)
Very nice driving and thank you for sharing!

If you don't mind would you PM me the part #s for the Hawk DTC 60s you used so I can match. Thanks!
hlyshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #16
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
Looks fun!!!

My friend and I should be going to Barber soon

Seeing this helps my confidence as this will be my first track experience

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #17
Chub2000

Drives: 2018 camaro zl1 , 2007 porsche GT3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Ha, that is my video! The one you posted was my brother driving, I have more of me driving. My brother and I are both HPDE instructors with Porsche Club, Chin, NASA and the national corvette museum. We were intentionally taking it easier through the tire grinding left handers at Barber as we co-drove my car all weekend. I'm running the stock Goodyears which were surprisingly good. Brakes are Hawk DTC 60's all 4 corners and SRF brake fluid. I had the car aligned before the event to a little more aggressive than Chevy recommends in the performance supplement.
Overall- the Camaro is absolutely insane on track. I can link a few more vids if you guys have interest.

Cheers-

Eric
Yes sir! More videos please
Chub2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #18
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Ha- thanks. I couldn't have been more impressed with the 1LE's on track performance. The level of body control and adjustability reminds me of my dads GT4. The e-diff is such a game changer too, watch the throttle trace out of "museum corner", the tight downhill right-harder that leads to the back straight; I'm able to go flat almost immediately. Btw, all these vids are with TC/Stability off, track suspension and touring steering. I hate the heavier steering program.
Here's one of me.
https://youtu.be/fkT-0hLClrQ
You ate them boys up!! Thanks for sharing those. Love that type of racing!!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #19
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Ha, that is my video! The one you posted was my brother driving, I have more of me driving. My brother and I are both HPDE instructors with Porsche Club, Chin, NASA and the national corvette museum. We were intentionally taking it easier through the tire grinding left handers at Barber as we co-drove my car all weekend. I'm running the stock Goodyears which were surprisingly good. Brakes are Hawk DTC 60's all 4 corners and SRF brake fluid. I had the car aligned before the event to a little more aggressive than Chevy recommends in the performance supplement.
Overall- the Camaro is absolutely insane on track. I can link a few more vids if you guys have interest.

Cheers-

Eric
Love hearing about these cars from such talented drivers!!!! Please post as much info and reviews of the car as you can bare!

Quote:
Ha- thanks. I couldn't have been more impressed with the 1LE's on track performance. The level of body control and adjustability reminds me of my dads GT4. The e-diff is such a game changer too, watch the throttle trace out of "museum corner", the tight downhill right-harder that leads to the back straight; I'm able to go flat almost immediately. Btw, all these vids are with TC/Stability off, track suspension and touring steering. I hate the heavier steering program.
Here's one of me.
https://youtu.be/fkT-0hLClrQ
That's awesome! I too think the car is close to a GT4, but my only experience has been some spirited drives through the mountains chasing a co worker's GT4 (See thread here). We haven't tracked the cars together but I think it would be close if I could muster up some driving skill. I'm working on it though. Heading to the SCCA Starting Line School tomorrow. I figure I'll get the hang of the the car's low speed limits at Solo events then graduate to track days.

As an experienced HPDE instructor, do you have any other advice for a track novice like myself? Feel free to PM me so we don't side track the thread.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #20
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Btw, all these vids are with TC/Stability off, track suspension and touring steering. I hate the heavier steering program.
Which PTM setting? 5 (race) I assume?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #21
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
Yeah track advice!!!

lol

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #22
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Which PTM setting? 5 I assume?
PTM wasn't used. It would show in his PDR overlay. He literally ran with all assists off. Although the ELSD still is working it's magic when PTM is off.

See page 29 in your HP Supplement.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...C1RT0cwVS1xakk
Old 02-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #23
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
PTM wasn't used. It would show in his PDR overlay. He literally ran with all assists off. Although the ELSD still is working it's magic when PTM is off.

See page 29 in your HP Supplement.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...C1RT0cwVS1xakk
Didn't watch the vids yet, for some reason they aren't working on my work computer.

I was thinking no PTM...but yeah, like you said the eLSD is still on.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #24
WILWAXU

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 1LE
Man, that looks like a lot of fun!
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #25
Vintage

SRF is life on the track, all others are lesser. Really glad to here that the stock pads are Ferodo! A great product - thanks again Chevy.

Great driving Provoste! The car looks like it really goes on track, but your driving is the difference maker.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #26
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Thanks- for 95% of 1LE owners, the stock OE pads are going to be just fine. My student that weekend was also in a '17 SS 1LE (blue) and his car was 100% stock. He was running a really solid pace by the end of the weekend and his brakes felt terrific. The stock pads are made by Ferodo (stamped with brembo logo) and really good. I already swapped pads back to stock for the street. As for brake fluid, again... 95% of 1LE owners don't need the additional heat dissipation Castrol SRF provides (for those not familiar SRF is the best/also most expensive brake fluid avail). Motul RBF 600 would work for 95-99 of 1LE owners, I just didn't want to chance any brake fade issues with both my brother and I double stinting the car!
How often would a brake bleed need to be done with a fluid like SRF, or even RBF? I know the higher heat tolerance fluids can retain more water...one of the reasons performance cars don't come with crazy good fluid from the factory, most wouldn't bleed the brakes enough.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #27
Vintage

SRF - once a year. Bleed more often if needed.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #28
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Love hearing about these cars from such talented drivers!!!! Please post as much info and reviews of the car as you can bare!

As an experienced HPDE instructor, do you have any other advice for a track novice like myself? Feel free to PM me so we don't side track the thread.
A couple observations:
  • I max'd out front negative camber @ -2.2. The car does not need any additional camber from a vehicle handling perspective, but it does from a tire wear perspective for advanced drivers. Meaning- the car's front end provides strong grip, and doesn't give up easily (understeer). However, it wears the outside 1/3 of the tire more than i'd like. I've called ground control to see about camber plates; and they're looking into if they can adapt a set to work with stock springs.
  • Stability/TC are extremely well integrated and are almost invisible unless you're watching your dash for the flickeringl light. My student ran in track mode without accessing PTM, and it worked very well.
  • PTM wet handling mode works extremely well in the wet for novice/intermediate drivers. For me however, it doesn't provide enough slip angle/ tire slip for my liking. It retards ignigition timing and slowly doles out the power as the tires gain traction. I found me managing the tires slip with my right foot was more to my liking in the wet.
  • The brakes are very strong and stood up well to 4 advanced/instructors lapping my car. I usaully go to the track with some very good friends and we all swap keys and all drive each other's cars.
  • Overall the 1LE is just insanely capable. My brother and I both agreed that the only car we've driven that out the box is that capable is the GT4 (we drive lots of cars!). The magnetic dampers are crazy the way they allow the car to soak up curbing, yet offer amazing body control, and the diff is just nuts. The way it rotates but then bleeds off lock to aid traction on exit is just mindboggling!
Advice for guys new to HPDE is to get out there and enjoy your cars! These cars are so insanely capable and fast, you'll never be able to fully enjoy what they can do unless you go on a track.... afterall it's what they are made for! Also, choose a well respected club for your first event. Chin, PCA, NASA, 10/10ths, ReZoom all put on well structured events with good instructors.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote