Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
Jmetc89

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Brakes

Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone is having this issue too. My 2016 2SS seems to have had issues with the brakes since owning. Whenever I'm on the freeway and hit the breaks I can feel shaking in the steering wheel and sometimes at lower speeds as well (like 30-40mph) The dealer machined the rotors twice and then just replaced them and now it seems to be doing the same thing again. I've never owned an SS or had Brembo brakes before but I feel like this isn't normal. The dealer kinda blamed me saying I was breaking too hard but I'm not. Even so I shouldn't have that many issues with them so far. I live in LA so i sit in the traffic a lot not sure if this is a factor or not. Thanks guys for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmetc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Mine has 11,600 miles and never shakes during braking.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
Dallace

Drives: Fifty
Mine seems fine. There is a small break in for brakes as well. What I do when I put new brakes on is slowly warm them up kind of pump the brakes while on the highway. Then when they are good and warm I'll be going about 65 then press hard on the brakes to slow down to maybe 40. I'll do that twice then go about 5 miles so the brakes can cool down some and I'll do it once more. For me it beds in the brakes and heat treats the rotors. Also what I do is each time I get in any car I'll warm up the brakes slowly before needing them. I also probably go overboard but every time I stop I will pump the brakes a little to warm them up before each stop. That last part is probably going overboard but I never have warped rotors and my brakes work great. Thinking about it one of your calipers may be sticking or something. If it keeps up try a different dealer if you can. Hope you can find and fix your issue.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Have you had your tires checked to make sure they are balanced and aligned?
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
Have you had your tires checked to make sure they are balanced and aligned?
+1. This can be caused by alignment and/or balance problems or possibly a bad tire. I would ask the dealer to check these things next.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Could also be the pads. I put on PowerStop Z23 pads to cut down on the brake dust. No problems with the stops, even fairly hard ones. I didn't have a problem with the Brembo except for the dust.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
BrandonBell

Drives: Hyper Blue Metalic gen 6
Could have warped rotors
BrandonBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
I agree with the balance, alignment suggestion. Had a vehicle that did the same thing. Turns out one of the front tires was out of balance, had lost a weight. Funny deal; never felt the imbalance except when braking.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
My car did this before I was in a accident and couldn't figure out what was going, all is well after they replaced alot of suspension parts while repairing car.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #10
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Check the wheel/tire assembly balance. Also have the front suspension checked for anything that may be loose (inner and outer tire rods, wheel bearings, strut to knuckle bolts and strut top mount), to be sure. If the rotors are warped, you'd have an issue at medium speed and possibly low speed as well.

I very much doubt you're causing an issue with the brakes...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
TECHTURTLE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmetc89 View Post
Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone is having this issue too. My 2016 2SS seems to have had issues with the brakes since owning. Whenever I'm on the freeway and hit the breaks I can feel shaking in the steering wheel and sometimes at lower speeds as well (like 30-40mph) The dealer machined the rotors twice and then just replaced them and now it seems to be doing the same thing again. I've never owned an SS or had Brembo brakes before but I feel like this isn't normal. The dealer kinda blamed me saying I was breaking too hard but I'm not. Even so I shouldn't have that many issues with them so far. I live in LA so i sit in the traffic a lot not sure if this is a factor or not. Thanks guys for any input

I have the same thing. I replaced my rotors, bedded in the pads and the same thing started happening about a month later. I'm guessing hot spots.

Added
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GM 1LE Sway Bars, BMR Upper/Lower Trailing Arms, BMR Upper Control Arms. BMR Front/Rear Chassis Braces, BMR Tunnel Brace. GM Red knee Pads, GM Black Front Splitter, GM SEMA Concept Grille, GM Dark Taillights, GM Ground Effects package... Savini Di Forza BM-14 Gloss Black Wheels 9's front, 10's rear.
TECHTURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #12
Warren-RB

Drives: CamaroSS
Try some two piece rotors built with feature allowing heat expansion/contraction which should alleviate this vibration issue during heat cycles.
Warren-RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
i have the same issue as OP, I'm looking for better rotors... um I drive hard... really really hard.

Power stop looks good and reasonably priced:
https://www.carid.com/2016-chevy-camaro-brakes/
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 01-20-2017 at 12:12 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmetc89 View Post

It's not normal.

If they've established that the rotors are not the problem, then they should move on to something else.

It's nearly impossible to "brake too hard" and overheat these things in daily driving...they're big, and have coolers. You'd have to be at the track, regularly...