Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-24-2024, 08:18 AM   #197
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Have you looked at the specs for that setup?

- Doesn't work once the temps drop below freezing by more than a few degrees

- Max current rating is 360A with a 200A rated continuous rating

How do the remotes work? For $25, I'm guessing you're not get rolling code security, and the thieves could likely just clone that at the same time as they clone your key.

Personally, hard pass based solely on the fact that I would have to carry yet another fob around with me. It's bad enough that I have three of those monsters already for the different vehicles in the house (and the one for the truck I can't even carry in my pants pocket because the buttons are constantly getting pressed and causing my doors to unlock unknowningly).

That was just an example from Amazon, there are a ton of different models, different price ranges. I see specs on some that suggest they work in all kinds of weather... the video I put up is a V8 Camaro , other videos with folks using them on older big block V8's, people using them on RV's. Of course you need to be careful on which one you go with, lots of cheap stuff out there.

https://www.amazon.com/remote-batter...+switch&page=2

The amperage rating doesn't seem to be a problem although I hear what your saying, there are some on Amazon that say they can handle 1000A of cold crank.

The remote issue could be a problem, no doubt as they aren't likely sophisticated rolling codes but nothing is perfect. For me this would be used just occasionally when the car is in a overnight situation away from home. I'm in Canada and store the car in the winter.

With the battery in the trunk this will present a problem for the typical car thief, where to look if the car doesn't respond? Just easier to move on. Nothing is going to stop a professional thief.

Was hoping someone on the forum would have some experience with them, even paying $200+ for one that works well would be a deal compared to some of the solutions like the Ravelco. Lot of what you choose to go with depends on where you are, what your car is exposed to so far as a theft threat. I get that.
Attached Images

2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:01 AM   #198
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
That was just an example from Amazon, there are a ton of different models, different price ranges. I see specs on some that suggest they work in all kinds of weather... the video I put up is a V8 Camaro , other videos with folks using them on older big block V8's, people using them on RV's. Of course you need to be careful on which one you go with, lots of cheap stuff out there.

https://www.amazon.com/remote-batter...+switch&page=2

The amperage rating doesn't seem to be a problem although I hear what your saying, there are some on Amazon that say they can handle 1000A of cold crank.

The remote issue could be a problem, no doubt as they aren't likely sophisticated rolling codes but nothing is perfect. For me this would be used just occasionally when the car is in a overnight situation away from home. I'm in Canada and store the car in the winter.

With the battery in the trunk this will present a problem for the typical car thief, where to look if the car doesn't respond? Just easier to move on. Nothing is going to stop a professional thief.

Was hoping someone on the forum would have some experience with them, even paying $200+ for one that works well would be a deal compared to some of the solutions like the Ravelco. Lot of what you choose to go with depends on where you are, what your car is exposed to so far as a theft threat. I get that.
You being in Ontario I thought you would’ve went with something like this?

https://lockdownsecuritycanada.ca/co...on-immobilizer

Instead of the Amazon stuff
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:43 PM   #199
CamaroRSOnt

Actually I'm thinking of a steering wheel club (as a visual deterrent) and using a bit of my knowledge of the Camaro's electrical system to stop a more dedicated thief. I have the Faraday pouches for the remote already. In the end nothing stops professional thieves.

My car sits in the garage at night 99% of the time, occasionally we will stay overnight at friends or such so the above for those situations. It isn't a daily driver.

Interesting video on all the typical devices being sold as anti-theft, pretty easily defeated...
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible

Last edited by CamaroRSOnt; 03-24-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:25 PM   #200
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
This video shows how easily theft deterrent devices can be defeated. Great entertainment value as well. I would like to have seen him break out the battery powered angle grinder cutter though.

https://youtu.be/34wPKEbY-go?si=5XXpYmZToO330qdn
Old 03-25-2024, 03:39 PM   #201
KuroOkami

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I'm glad I watched the Euro video before the American video. Even on the same devices, the Euro team was so much faster.

1100 - 02/02/20 | 2000 - 02/10/20
3100 - 02/13/20 TPW 3/02/20 (Yeah right)
3300 - 02/14/20 | 3400 - 02/17/20
3800 - 03/10/20 ('Bout friggin time)
03/20/20 still just sitting there
9000 - 04/20/20 Covid sucks :(
5000 - 07/03/20 | 6000 - 07/05/20
KuroOkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:44 PM   #202
CamaroRSOnt

The videos at least give you an idea of the devices/device that actually slows them down. Depending on the tools they bring it could actually stop a theft. The Stoplock steering wheel lock seemed to give them a pretty hard time.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 03-27-2024, 04:12 PM   #203
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Random thought but, since these cars have seat position memory, what about using one of those remote relays on the seat power? You could adjust the seat all the way forward and the seat back forward so it is almost impossible to get in. Then just kill the seat power with the relay. When you get back in, reset power with the relay and your seat will return to normal. Kinda hard to steal a car if you can’t sit in it.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:53 PM   #204
Broooster

Drives: Sharkskin Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnovrit View Post
Random thought but, since these cars have seat position memory, what about using one of those remote relays on the seat power? You could adjust the seat all the way forward and the seat back forward so it is almost impossible to get in. Then just kill the seat power with the relay. When you get back in, reset power with the relay and your seat will return to normal. Kinda hard to steal a car if you can’t sit in it.
I've actually done this when traveling, and just pulled the fuse. Like you said, pretty hard to steal it if you can't even get in it.
Broooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:58 AM   #205
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnovrit View Post
+1, file under "every little bit helps"

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:57 PM   #206
LovellW

Drives: 2023 2SS & C6 Vette
Question with installing the mobilistics to the ignition or fuel pump can a thief plug into the obd port and send a signal to that relay and still start the car?
LovellW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 03:21 PM   #207
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovellW View Post
Question with installing the mobilistics to the ignition or fuel pump can a thief plug into the obd port and send a signal to that relay and still start the car?
I was told no. They also have a custom algorithm no one knows of and the code changes . So they say
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 03:42 PM   #208
RayKinStL

Drives: 2022 LT1
Got my IGLA installed today! If you are in the Midwest area around St Louis, Josh, one of the IGLA certified techs/trainers came and trained a shop in St Louis to be a certified installer in the area. My car was used as the training vehicle for them to observe the install and learn. The shop that will be offering it is The Car Audio Shop and they have locations in High Ridge and Westport, if you are familiar with the area. I was at the Westport location for my install today. If you want to call them to inquire, their number is 314-698-7887. They were super awesome and very helpful. If you call them, let them know Ray with the gray '22 LT1 sent you their way.

If you have any questions I can answer, if you are interested, let me know.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:54 PM   #209
hotop1

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
installed Mobilistics

I just got my 2023 1SS 1LE and have installed the mobilistics solution.

It is mostly a track car and when not in use I pull the ignition and fuel relay.

When I am driving it around I use the mobilistics ignition relay replacement. As other's have noted, it is not a perfect solution but for smash-n-grabs it is a deterrent for sure.

I have a hidden cutoff switch but I am happy with an alternative solution.

Like my wife's Highlander (also one of the top stolen cars here in Canada) I have rigged the hardwired remote transmitter to one of the car features that is enabled by the factory remote.

If they really want it, they will tow it, but they'd have to steal my pickup (also immobilized) lower the lift on which the camaro sits above the pickup (the lift is also immobilized) and once lowered, defeat the mobilistics.

Pretty sad we have to do all this to defeat thieves who take advantage of weak security built into a supposed convenience feature that I don't care about. If only vehicle manufacturers and insurance companies didn't benefit from stolen cars needing to be replaced.
hotop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:40 PM   #210
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotop1 View Post
I just got my 2023 1SS 1LE and have installed the mobilistics solution.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new Camaro. Also, great first post and it seems you have a good handle on some theft deterrents.