Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #57
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Doesn't the Camaro already have 650/650? Why is everyone so excited about 485ish

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #58
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Doesn't the Camaro already have 650/650? Why is everyone so excited about 485ish
That's the Zl1 not the standard SS.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #59
STEVE41

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
Didn't he recently say the same thing about the LT5? Surely they won't do both, so that means his info is completely wrong on one of the rumors, and easily possible that it's wrong on both counts. Believe it when you see GM announce it and not before.
he is wrong more then once that is for sure.
STEVE41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #60
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Street cred at cars and coffee.

Truth is majority of people wouldn't be able to tell 455 and 485hp. GM won't spend all that money on research and development on a small hp increase.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #61
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
I think everyone is making a mountain out of a mole-hill on this one. It's not about making an LT2 fit in a front engine car. It's still the same basic architecture as the LT1, so it's about what LT2 parts really make the power and can they be added to an LT1?

The LT2 makes 495 HP and the Camaro LT1 makes 455 HP. We know the LT1 and LT2 use literally the exact same cylinder heads (same casting numbers, same valve sizes, same compression ratio), so that leaves the camshaft, intake, and exhaust manifolds as the real power difference here.

We already know the intake manifold bolts right up to an LT1 with a few minor modifications and makes ~25 HP. The LT2 camshaft specs are a little bit more duration, so that's a possibility. The LT2 Corvette exhaust manifolds are as much about packaging to fit in the mid-engine bay, thought they probably are a bit better than the LT1 units.

What I would imagine is GM building an "LT1.5", basically the LT2 intake and camshaft on an LT1 making ~480 HP or so. It really wouldn't be hard from a technical standpoint. But it does cost money to re-certify the car for emissions and fuel economy, so the real question is would GM be willing to invest the money?
This. Every word of it.

Adapting some of the LT2 content to LT1 would increase output. It would no doubt get a new RPO code though. Too much change to be called LT1 and similar to but not exact content as an LT2. It’s possible, but still unlikely unless those same changes are applied to the L87 which will continue on in high volume for trucks and utilities.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:05 AM   #62
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
Street cred at cars and coffee.

Truth is majority of people wouldn't be able to tell 455 and 485hp. GM won't spend all that money on research and development on a small hp increase.
Depends on the tuning would be my guess. When I got my car back from Vector Motorsports (LT headers, ported TB, E85) it felt significantly different than before. Not sure what my crank hp is now but it might be in the 485-490 range and it’s very noticeable.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:40 PM   #63
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Honestly, if they want 25 BHP boost, there is a much easier way to do it: the GM CAI.

While GM doesn't advertise it to increase power, someone dynoed it on this forum and it shows that the car does gain like 20 BHP from it. If they are that desperate, they could just make all the new Camaro SS come standard with the GM CAI. It's just so much easier.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #64
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Quote:
I think everyone is making a mountain out of a mole-hill on this one. It's not about making an LT2 fit in a front engine car. It's still the same basic architecture as the LT1, so it's about what LT2 parts really make the power and can they be added to an LT1?

The LT2 makes 495 HP and the Camaro LT1 makes 455 HP. We know the LT1 and LT2 use literally the exact same cylinder heads (same casting numbers, same valve sizes, same compression ratio), so that leaves the camshaft, intake, and exhaust manifolds as the real power difference here.

We already know the intake manifold bolts right up to an LT1 with a few minor modifications and makes ~25 HP. The LT2 camshaft specs are a little bit more duration, so that's a possibility. The LT2 Corvette exhaust manifolds are as much about packaging to fit in the mid-engine bay, thought they probably are a bit better than the LT1 units.

What I would imagine is GM building an "LT1.5", basically the LT2 intake and camshaft on an LT1 making ~480 HP or so. It really wouldn't be hard from a technical standpoint. But it does cost money to re-certify the car for emissions and fuel economy, so the real question is would GM be willing to invest the money?
See it this way: Currently the Camaro sales most likely close 2021 with not even 20k units, that not even half of the sales of Mustang and Challenger. And based on the last years, it will go down even more in 2022.

Even if it's just a slight upgrade to the engine, it means they would have to do the whole emissions and certifcation processes for the Camaro SS models not only in US, but for all markets around the globe they are selling the car.

Chevy has not spend a dime on the Camaro for years besides the emergency 2020 refresh of the reresh and very minor sticker packages (grouping things you already can optionselect when buying). How would anyone approve a business case to invest millions for one model year on a dying car?
Old 11-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #65
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Big question for you folks. Would some of you trade up to a 2023 (assuming no crazy car market) to get the LT2 or would you just upgrade the LT1?

Yeah, i think about this a lot.... if i should trade for a 2023 or 2024, not really to upgrade, but to postpone having the buy a performance EV for as long as i can . Though, almost everything i read says the chip shortage will extend past 2022. On that basis, there won't be a non-crazy market remaining for the Camaro. On the positive, i think the car shortage which has made our cars more valuable will extend to a trade in for 2023 or 2024.

Last edited by Hops; 11-14-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #66
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
I am thinking of buying the last model year of the Camaro so I can have it last longer.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #67
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Honestly, if they want 25 BHP boost, there is a much easier way to do it: the GM CAI.

While GM doesn't advertise it to increase power, someone dynoed it on this forum and it shows that the car does gain like 20 BHP from it. If they are that desperate, they could just make all the new Camaro SS come standard with the GM CAI. It's just so much easier.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #68
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I like Matt. Although, I'll wait for something official. I just don't see how a mid-engine designed V8 will fit in the Camaro.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:02 PM   #69
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
This. The click-bait BS that Lethal has been pushing for his last several videos is why I unsubscribed.

For GM to put an LT2 in the Camaro, you need to change the sump, the intake manifold, and the exhaust manifolds and hey, look, you are back to having an LT1 engine.
Question: Why can't it be the other way around? What's stopping GM from implementing the LT2 intake, cam and a mildly revised exhaust onto the current Camaro-LT1 and call it an "LT2"? Why does it need a new RPO?

Quote:

Yep. And we know that the LT2 manifold on the the Camaro-LT1 fits under the current hood.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:00 AM   #70
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
I am thinking of buying the last model year of the Camaro so I can have it last longer.
I would like to do this, but the only way I would is if they brought back Hyperblue Metallic

Lethal Garage is doubling down on the LT2 in the 2023 SS
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote