Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #15
RSloth
[COTW- Never!]

Drives: Slothy; Sloth-like
shit'll buff out.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #16
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpyle View Post
Mine came from Factory Reproductions ... FR wheels for short. They are the matte finish. So I just used some matte black rattle can paint that matched the closest.

Body putty, you can find at walmart in the auto section... dries rather quick and is easy to work with. However, it may not hold up to a tire change very well. Which I will find out soon, since I am getting new tires in the next couple weeks.

The whole thing took maybe an hour or two. 400-600 grit on the putty should be fine. Don't polish the rash smooth, or the putty won't stick as well, leave it something to grab on to. I used a dremel to knock the high spots down.

Tape everything up around your area so you don't scratch the rest of the wheel. Use decent 3M tape, not cheap masking tape.

As for color matching ... buy a couple different brands of rattle can paint and spray some scrap metal or tubing if you have any. Let it dry, then check it next to the wheel. You may not find 100% match though.

When masking to paint ... run the tape along the edge of the spoke to "hide" that paint line. You'll have a small paint line across the spoke though. Some people might say that wet sanding and polishing will get rid of the paint line. I choose not to since mine are a matte finish. I plan to replace the wheel this summer some time, so absolute perfection wasn't necessary for me.

Maybe contact the wheel vendor and ask about a paint sample??

I have a background in automotive paint and body, it's what I went to school for many years ago ... so the job wasn't tough for me. But if you're handy, it shouldn't be hard.
Thanks for this great write up! I am going to go to Wal-mart tomorrow to pick up some bondo asap! I already contacted Doug from F. Reproductions to try and get some gloss black paint to match. Definitely will follow your advice here! I didn't notice you had the same wheels as mine! They looked slightly different haha. This makes it even easier to follow your info.

I am decent when it comes to handiwork so I imagine this shouldn't be a massive problem to do myself. By biggest concern right now is matching the gloss black paint and finding out if I need a clear coat pen on top of the paint or not. Overall I think it should be a cheap fix and good lesson!
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote