Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Rotor Problem = Possible upgrade?

So my car a '12 SS has sat much of this very snowy winter (outside unfortunately) and as a result some rust had formed on the rotors. I figured some driving and hard braking would clean them up but the rear rotors still have some ridges on them causing vibration and pulsing when I brake from highway speeds. I figure I "might as well" use this as an excuse to upgrade, but I have no idea what direction I should go. Opinions please?

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post
So my car a '12 SS has sat much of this very snowy winter (outside unfortunately) and as a result some rust had formed on the rotors. I figured some driving and hard braking would clean them up but the rear rotors still have some ridges on them causing vibration and pulsing when I brake from highway speeds. I figure I "might as well" use this as an excuse to upgrade, but I have no idea what direction I should go. Opinions please?
You can have them turned first to see if that takes care of your problem.

If you want to upgrade, I can take care of you!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257770

Purchase any of our Stillen Sport Rotors and recieve FREE Stillen Metal Matrix Pads!!!

JT
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
2012-2SS

Ya these are the original rotors. The car has about 20k miles on it and I'm usually pretty easy on my brakes since I engine brake most of the time. I think just having the rotors turned might be a better idea.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Ya these are the original rotors. The car has about 20k miles on it and I'm usually pretty easy on my brakes since I engine brake most of the time. I think just having the rotors turned might be a better idea.
Make sure to get new caliper bolts. They aren't spec'd to be reused.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Dannzo6

Drives: 2010 ss
U can get all new rotors slotted and dimpled with pads for 500 shipped
Dannzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
2012-2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Make sure to get new caliper bolts. They aren't spec'd to be reused.
Really? That seems kinda stupid

Old 02-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Really? That seems kinda stupid
They're what is called torque to yield bolts. TTY bolts are designed to stretch slightly when they are tightened down. Its to provide a higher more consistent clamping load. I would only reuse them once if I had to, with loctite. I would recommend replacing them.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
If you are only driving on the street why waste your money on anything other than OEM? This is a consumable piece that will wear out again. But if they are equal money I would go with DBA.

Like 130R said, and I concur if you are Tracking your car, DBA's are awesome. I ran them on the street and 6-7 HPDE track events a year for two years before they gave up the ghost.

CAliper bolts, I reuse them with Loctite but do replace them once a year. But I have my calipers off more than most because I am always checking, rebuilding, etc. my calipers because of all of my tracking.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
2012-2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
They're what is called torque to yield bolts. TTY bolts are designed to stretch slightly when they are tightened down. Its to provide a higher more consistent clamping load. I would only reuse them once if I had to, with loctite. I would recommend replacing them.
I know what TTY bolts are, it just never occurred to me that they'd use them on my calipers.

Ya my car won't see a track. Maybe I'd run a 1/4 mile just to see what it does but that's it.