Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
WallyManrique

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Calling Anybody with a manual transmission :(

I have a question on manual transmission. I just bought a new 2012 camaro in Aug. It had 7 miles on it when they sold it to me. Ive driven stick before but not on a chevy. So the question is when im completly stopped on neutral and go to shift to one. Theres usually the one bump that gets u to first gear, which is normal. I feel like there is an invisible wall before i get to first gear and i wont feel it all the time only sometimes, ive specifically noticed when its really cold out or when I'm on a hill. So i press down on the clutch and shift to first...and sometimes i feel the bump...then with my foot still on the clutch i will go back to nuetral and try to go again to one, and no bump at all its just a smooth transition. So i tested it by letting go of the clutch completly stopped on neutral ...step on the clutch and go into 1st again, and sometimes i'll feel it and other times i wont. This only happens when im stopped going from neutral to first and its not 100% of the time id say 33% if i had to guess...and doesnt ever happen going to 2nd 3rd 4th 5th or 6th...reverse is on the left. Its also a 6 cylinder..any other necessary info let me kno PLEASE

Last edited by WallyManrique; 10-15-2012 at 09:05 AM.
WallyManrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
That's completely normal. Most manual cars will do this, whether you notice it or not...
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Its normal although I don't love it. Read on.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155282
Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
When I had the stock shifter it was notchy like that going through neutral into first and more so just after a cold start. I just accepted it as normal and moved on.

Sometimes I would pull down to second and then slide straight up into first. That was extra effort and motion I know but the shifter seemed to slide smoother into first that way than any other way.

Later I just fixed the whole deal and put in a MGW shifter. That is a great shifter and the thing gets the job done.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
WallyManrique

I tried that link you gave me STL rammer, Honestly i don't notice a noise really its just the extra bump going to 1st but im wondering if they're associated. Thanks for the replies. Im sitting here thinking i burned a clutch but I just got it in Aug and I dont bang the clutch to say that I wore it.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
the tranny for our v6 sucks. Its honestly the worst tranny I have ever had. Check out the issues everyone has with them. Sometimes my stupid tranny wont let me go into first. And I have to put it in neutral and keep trying to jam/force it into first. Imagine that when the light turns green? Stupid tranny, wish I had a TR6060
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Totally normal. I have this as well and it also weirded me out at first.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyManrique View Post
I tried that link you gave me STL rammer, Honestly i don't notice a noise really its just the extra bump going to 1st but im wondering if they're associated. Thanks for the replies. Im sitting here thinking i burned a clutch but I just got it in Aug and I dont bang the clutch to say that I wore it.
No worries man its not your clutch.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
WallyManrique

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
the tranny for our v6 sucks. Its honestly the worst tranny I have ever had. Check out the issues everyone has with them. Sometimes my stupid tranny wont let me go into first. And I have to put it in neutral and keep trying to jam/force it into first. Imagine that when the light turns green? Stupid tranny, wish I had a TR6060

This makes me feel a lot better! I know the car's under warrenty but its such a hassle to take time off of work and bring the car in. The same issue you described is what i have pretty much. Its like an invisible wall is there making me have to push to 1st harder then any other gear. And i know exactly what you mean, it happened to me on a green light and i panicked, cars were beeping...so unecessary
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Nor*Kan SS/RS

Drives: 2011 SIM 1SS/RS
Have the same thing with mine

20% Tint | Muffler Delete | Hurst Short Throw | Eibach 1" Lowering Springs | K&N Cold Air | 20x9 20x10 Replicas | 255/35 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's
Nor*Kan SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Synchronizers
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
AGENT-006
AKA 'Mr. 006'

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
i hate it when that happens.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
it was a normal on my previous v6. Especially the embarrassing moments like tj91 said. Nothing better than the stupid thing stinking while on a hill. Good thing is that the SS doesn't have this problem.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
nash

Drives: 2LT Manual 2013 White Summit
Might you be talking about "Hill assist"?
nash is offline   Reply With Quote