Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
CAN-BUS

let's talk can-bus and how to fool it. I took out the onstar and spliced thru the twisted can bus wires and no problems. can the brain still be hacked if the blue tooth, is not present? I have the sevice manuals for my car and the common factor is the brown twisted can bus wires in the schematics. read latest issue of hot rod and they have a can-bus article that's very informative. cause I want to override some systems, i.e. hood open signal, traction control delete, I know the later con be tuned out but I am going to read into the schematics closer and see if certain things can be hard wire deleted. I'm just TOO old school if you guys could only see how many DIC codes that are in these manuals, just not into being a slave to the dealers. anyone with experience in this field PLEASE exspress your thoughts all of us I think would benefit
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
oldman14ss

winter here and my mind is spinning, putting parts together on motor. had an 02 1SC and really enjoyed my stripper car with all the power deletes just had to newer,bigger,and better. the oldman...........
Old 02-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
that stuff is way out of my league.i can rebuild brakes or a carb but i would be afraid to mess with can bus.im just hoping that if i dont touch the electronics they will continue to behave. it was in interesting article though.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
seishuku

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Traction control is part of the ECU and ABS, so that would have to be done via tune, not really any other way around that... Though I suppose you could set up a microcontroller to "push" and hold the button every time the ignition is cycled.

Switch messages are all handled via BCM, not much there as far as overriding those on the canbus, mainly because you would be trying to race the BCM and it would just cause issues.
For those, it would just be better to jumper out the switch it self.

Anyone interested in the actual canbus messages (on the single wire canbus anyway), I have a spreadsheet of some that I've decided:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...AQdDM/htmlview
seishuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
oldman14ss

seishuku, I think you're the one who provided me with the missing link when I diabled my onstar. having a gray moment, I think you told me to make sure I splice the can bus wires or I would pull a fuel code? I was thinking of doing the same with other modules if one is hard wire delete or better term by pass the logic (spice thru) so that specific modules can't read. I have a lot of studying to do. now I have to learn how to read a spread sheet remember I'm an old man. the information super highway is out there and I'm still driving on a dirt road.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
oldman14ss

what piqued my interest was the hexa decimal system. I began to learn that 30 years ago and walked away, binary octal etc.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
CAN bus work isn't for the faint of heart. There is protocol to follow, timing, and proper responses to certain requests. Eliminating some things is going to be very difficult or near impossible unless you are capable of writing your own software and creating your own hardware to get onto the bus. It took me a long time to get to where I am with CAN work.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
oldman14ss

so what you're saying is not a simple splice thru? the modules have there own addresses and need to be able to communicate with one another or it corrupts the system as a whole. for example having to push the clutch pedal in triggers a sequence of events to start the engine with it's own address?
Old 02-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #9
seishuku

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Not everything is it's own module...

OnStar
Front/rear parking sensors
Radio
Media player (HMI?)
Boston Acoustics amp
HVAC controls
Fuel pump control
Auto transmission
ABS
Engine control
Airbags
Gauge cluster
Electric power steering

Those are all their own module, which could be removed potentially, but they all really tie in together when the car is programmed for those options.
At the least, nothing will happen, most likely you'll just get a idiot light style DIC message (like parking sensors for example, will just pop-up with a simple message "Service park assist", power steering will also do this).
Other modules will throw major codes, ABS, Airbags, Fuel pump, etc.

Everything else is controlled by the BCM, windows, vent flaps, blower motor, door locks, head lights, blinkers, brake lights, various switches, etc etc.
seishuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #10
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
I'm saying the days of fixing anything an owner doesn't like by just tricking some wiring are long gone. When you delete a module from the bus, any other module looking for messages from it will throw a fault. The BCM is usually the one looking for everything, and that's where you'll get dash messages for removing something. It won't always screw up operation, but usually something will stop working right.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #11
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Looks like a data bus on aircraft I read. You cant just hardwire out a signal. It sends out a data stream on twisted pairs of words/bits to receivers that are looking for there label and bits. You would have to change the program to not report the word/bits. Basically a tune.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Sounds like the first step is to just delete the module that turns on the friggin code lights. Then proceed!
Old 02-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
oldman14ss

seishuku, that's what I thought, jumped out the onstar, no codes, have a stick, so no automatic module, the rest I can deal with. I will read the owners manual and see about the hood latch, cruise, would really like to disable clutch switch, hate having to jump in car everytime I want to start it, just some of the little things that aggrivate
Old 02-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #14
oldman14ss

mojo, that sounds like a good philosophy, start from scratch, wash out everything and add what you want,wish it were that easy like with my 02 stripper car. when I bought this 14 I didn't know it was going to be so advanced. I have no regrets, I will hash this out, I have more time than money.