Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Comment On Quality Control

Just picked up a 2012 LaCrosse for the wife and it was held in QC for 1 month. The car is white diamond tri-coat. Dealer hand washed the car per my instructions, we took it home and examined the car more closely. There were all kinds of poluntant particles and what appear to be some kind of clear sediment that would not come off with hand washing. the exterior of the car needs a complete detailing. The point I'm trying to make is, it doesn't do these cars any good baking in these QC lots. Be it a Buick or ZL1, they all are rained upon by these pollutants and who knows what else. End of rant.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
They are massed produced cars, not Bentley's ... Mine sit out 24/7 and look just fine. Are they perfect, heck no but they are Chevy's ... A little washing, claying and waxing goes a long way ...
Old 03-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
I guess cars sit out at several points during their transport and are subjected to smog and weather etc. Pretty hard to change that unless you are Hendrick.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
Rail dust?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
99firehawk
Order in on 13' ZL1 vert

Drives: 1999 Firehawk Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Just picked up a 2012 LaCrosse for the wife and it was held in QC for 1 month. The car is white diamond tri-coat. Dealer hand washed the car per my instructions, we took it home and examined the car more closely. There were all kinds of poluntant particles and what appear to be some kind of clear sediment that would not come off with hand washing. the exterior of the car needs a complete detailing. The point I'm trying to make is, it doesn't do these cars any good baking in these QC lots. Be it a Buick or ZL1, they all are rained upon by these pollutants and who knows what else. End of rant.
Did the dealer remove the Transit Coating? PDI prep does this (and more) so you may have not had a proper pre-delivery. Just guessing of course.

Have you gone back to the dealer to show them and discuss?
99firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
your car was probably on a train and what you are dealing with is "rail rust" all over your car. It is rather common adn worse especially for cars who are shipped by rail to long distances. My SS was covered in rail rust according to my dealer when it arrived. You will need to use clay bar to remove the ones that don't come off with a good wash job and feel imbedded into the paint. It is a pretty easy job.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
your car was probably on a train and what you are dealing with is "rail rust" all over your car. It is rather common adn worse especially for cars who are shipped by rail to long distances. My SS was covered in rail rust according to my dealer when it arrived. You will need to use clay bar to remove the ones that seem imbedded into the paint.
That's the first thing I'll be doing along with a complete wax Or - I'll just get it from back East myself

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I wish there were an option that you could pay extra for that provided a better paint and much thicker clear. Would be MUCH more cost effective while still in the plant. I'd have paid a couple grand for it.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99firehawk View Post
Did the dealer remove the Transit Coating? PDI prep does this (and more) so you may have not had a proper pre-delivery. Just guessing of course.

Have you gone back to the dealer to show them and discuss?
I don't have much faith in the dealer, especially the way it was deliverd. Chances are they would buff the piss out of it and leave swirl marks all over it. I'll detail the car myself.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Kvapil28

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Transit Coating what are you talking about look at new Chevrolet's sitting on trucks they have like 4 little squares of plastic on them and a few foam pads on the doors for shipping. They don't come in fully protected..
Kvapil28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Cosmoline was used on some cars years ago until they started applying the white film in select areas. Since it was applied to the entire exterior of the car it would have been much better protection for a car that sat for a long period before being PDI'd. Its literally going to be a cr#p shoot on the condition of the ZL1s. Hopefully, they aren't near an area with a lot of birds.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
collins motorsport

Drives: 1967 SS 785hp pro touring, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
They are massed produced cars, not Bentley's ... Mine sit out 24/7 and look just fine. Are they perfect, heck no but they are Chevy's ... A little washing, claying and waxing goes a long way ...
Im sure that somewhere there's a former owner of an original 69 ZL1 that thought that way too. My 67 had only been wet 3 times since we finished it and I do my best to give it "dry baths" reguarly to avoid having to wet it anymore than I have too. My point is, just because it didn't cost a quarter mill doesn't mean it doesn't deserve just as much love as a car that did. Just my opinion
Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
For the ZL-1. at least, let me assure you, it does 0 'baking' in February/March/early April in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
ZL1 STEVE
Addicted to Stainless!

Drives: 2012 ZL1 "Knight Fire"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
Cosmoline was used on some cars years ago until they started applying the white film in select areas. Since it was applied to the entire exterior of the car it would have been much better protection for a car that sat for a long period before being PDI'd. Its literally going to be a cr#p shoot on the condition of the ZL1s. Hopefully, they aren't near an area with a lot of birds.
Brings back memories -- many moons ago, I was a Porter at a Toyota dealership. With cosmoline comes decosmoline -- a nasty petroleum based substance to remove that film. I hated that decosmoline duty, but that film sure did protect the cars on their long-haul over the big pond from Japan.
#872 of 1885 2012 ZL1's -- Victory Red, Exposed CF, Manual-6, Black Wheels, Suede Interior.
ZL1 STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote