Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 09-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #29
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
What you are forgetting these cars were designed over 5 years ago so they took a shot at something that went the other way, that's why Car electronics are always at least 3 years behind. Phone's 5 years ago were tiny compared to today, and wireless charging was just beginning, they did not know it would fade away. My Link has always been behind the tech curve, Euro cars do a much better job in this department. Then again go to many European cities and they are much more advanced than us.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #30
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
What you are forgetting these cars were designed over 5 years ago so they took a shot at something that went the other way, that's why Car electronics are always at least 3 years behind. Phone's 5 years ago were tiny compared to today, and wireless charging was just beginning, they did not know it would fade away. My Link has always been behind the tech curve, Euro cars do a much better job in this department. Then again go to many European cities and they are much more advanced than us.
I'm sorry, the wireless charging pad was not designed 5 years ago. It's ad-hoc at best. Thrown in at the last minute without much thought. 5 years ago there was no Android Auto or CarPlay or wireless charging, but it's on the car now. While the car itself started design work that long ago, components are continually designed and incorporated..particularly in infotainment. But I would agree they still will lag behind, but myLink is on par with the majority of the OEMs at this point (not really a good or bad thing).

I don't agree with the Euro cars being better. BMW still doesn't have CarPlay or AA support. My '14 328i with the tech package couldn't reliably show text messages, didn't support Pandora via Android, and had almost 0 support for remote control apps (BMW going so far to block US users from installing/using the app). Some of the brands are better (in particular VW AG) but they aren't really ahead of myLink, Uconnect, or Sync. The one thing BMW did do well, was the physical controller...a much better idea than touch screens, but that's another story.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #31
HogsFan75

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Between the charging pad and the iPad looking gauges, I suspect the interior is going to look dated quickly.

In 5 years it'll be like seeing someone with a Motorola bag phone. Lol. Ok maybe not that bad but I don't see these gimmicks aging well.
HogsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #32
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogsFan75 View Post
In 5 years it'll be like seeing someone with a Motorola bag phone.
Hey, don't knock those.. Cheapest form of birthcontrol I know of outside of standing in front of a microwave oven with the door open!
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #33
SuperSound

Quote:
Between the charging pad and the iPad looking gauges, I suspect the interior is going to look dated quickly.

In 5 years it'll be like seeing someone with a Motorola bag phone. Lol. Ok maybe not that bad but I don't see these gimmicks aging well.
As opposed to the antique interior in the 5th gen? You realize in a few years there will probably not be any physical gauges in cars right? So no they aren't going to look outdated. The physical speedo and tach will be in a few years at current rates.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #34
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
I have a Droid Turbo and it fits like a glove. I just set the phone down and drive off. I also don't feel compelled to look at my phone while driving since I can't see it. Bummer that some phones don't fit...

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #35
HogsFan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
As opposed to the antique interior in the 5th gen? You realize in a few years there will probably not be any physical gauges in cars right? So no they aren't going to look outdated. The physical speedo and tach will be in a few years at current rates.
Mechanical and electrical gauges like are in the 5th gen stand the test of time. Look at the old muscle cars of you don't agree.

Now go look at popular cars through the years that had the latest digital gauges gadgets and gizmos. Most are cringeworthy now.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #36
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
Isn't your car parked somewhere waiting for you to come and have sex with yourself on it??
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #37
SuperSound

Quote:
Mechanical and electrical gauges like are in the 5th gen stand the test of time. Look at the old muscle cars of you don't agree.

Now go look at popular cars through the years that had the latest digital gauges gadgets and gizmos. Most are cringeworthy now.
Ha, I can see you are letting experiences with the electronics of the 80's and 90's color your opinion. I would not say gauges in the 60's and 70's cars stand the test of time. I've had my share of speedos, tachs, fuel gauges, and indicators break. Not to mention tach lag, bulbs burning out, needles stuck or loose, etc... The only advantage a mechanical gauge has is fewer places to check for trouble.

But this is a pointless debate. The trend is cars, planes, and boats are large LCD screens replacing multiple single use physical gauges. The wealth of information a vehicle can display now necessitates this. Maybe in 20 years we will have interactive holographic displays, but until then LCDs will dominate car interiors. And the only thing that will look outdated is the software running them.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #38
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
My bet would be....because the feature was integrated into the design and engineering plan about the same time as it came out on cell phones in the mobile device market. Had phones stayed a decent size...this probably would have been a home-run idea. Someone mentioned that cars take several years to design from the ground up - and they're right.

Also consider...besides becoming bigger...mobile device manufacturers are also interested in making them slimmer, and lighter...the induction charging components that are necessary for this feature add weight and cost...many manufacturers have opted out.

Plus...advertising that your car can wirelessly charge your cell phone (not mentioning that most phones will require an accessory case to do it)...is pretty awesome.

NOTE: My iPhone does not have this capability...and I have not found a case I like yet that does it...so my "phone charging pad" will likely collect dust and speeding tickets (when I finally get the car). Or maybe hold my helmet!!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #39
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
My point exactly... I'm trying to understand the logic behind this feature that we for sure paid for, yet is probably not utilized. Add to it, a phone cant sit there without falling off.
You have to understand that the technology they put in any given car is going to be, what 3-4 years behind current technology trends. Back when they were developing the Camaro phones were smaller in screen size and wireless charging was going to be the next big thing. However not much long after that phones started getting larger and wireless charging was only adopted by a few manufactures.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #40
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
My S7 fits just right, so did my S6... I use it all the time. Not sure why they have those raised areas to limit phone size, lots of people have giant phones these days.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #41
HogsFan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Ha, I can see you are letting experiences with the electronics of the 80's and 90's color your opinion. I would not say gauges in the 60's and 70's cars stand the test of time. I've had my share of speedos, tachs, fuel gauges, and indicators break. Not to mention tach lag, bulbs burning out, needles stuck or loose, etc... The only advantage a mechanical gauge has is fewer places to check for trouble.

But this is a pointless debate. The trend is cars, planes, and boats are large LCD screens replacing multiple single use physical gauges. The wealth of information a vehicle can display now necessitates this. Maybe in 20 years we will have interactive holographic displays, but until then LCDs will dominate car interiors. And the only thing that will look outdated is the software running them.
Yes the 80's and 90's come to mind since I grew up then. Graduated in 93. lol

But you misunderstand what I mean in general. Yes, the gauges break. What I mean is that mechanical/electrical gauges look right in musclecar/sports cars. Even if they are old tech. They have a timeless look and feel IMHO. Can't say the same about most of the digital stuff that has rolled out in cars in our lifetime.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #42
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
In the Silverado the charging pad is huge and works great. It's kind of a bummer that there wasn't a better way to implement this in the Camaro. Though space is certainly pretty tight.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote