Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: Would you accept a repaint of a brand new car?
Yes 35 20.96%
No 132 79.04%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #29
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Are you 6th gen owners having problems with paint swirls ?
The 5th gens have that problem , and I finally seen a black 6th gen on the showroom floor , I was admiring how beautiful it looked and then started to look closer at the paint and much to my horror seen paint swirls everywhere . 13 miles on the car. I was hoping that GM had addressed this problem but from the only car I seen it looked like they had not .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #30
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
I love the answer I would force them to buy it back, Good luck with that.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #31
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
The 5th gens have that problem , and I finally seen a black 6th gen on the showroom floor , I was admiring how beautiful it looked and then started to look closer at the paint and much to my horror seen paint swirls everywhere . 13 miles on the car. I was hoping that GM had addressed this problem but from the only car I seen it looked like they had not .
I had a 13 I didn't think the swirls were too bad, and the 16 I have is good. I've done a two-stage polish and then sealed it myself with a polymer so I really don't get swirls. So far so good.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #32
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
I made the mistake of accepting my 1979 Z28 with horrid paint. Very bad experience with the dealer. Basically, the paint was very thin on the front fenders and hood. They resprayed the entire front end including the urethane fascia. They didn't mask off the doors and oversprayed poor quality paint down the doors. They didn't use flex agent, so the urethane nose cracked like crazy. The paint was so bad, it just wouldn't shine and it was badly orange-peeled. I took it back numerous times, but they wouldn't make it right. What did I know, I was only 20 and an E-4 in the Army at the time... Chevrolet didn't seem to care, either.

Sad thing is, I fell in love with the car and still have it! After I get my finances caught up, I'm going to get the body done up like it was supposed to be.

All that said; no, I'd not accept a resprayed vehicle now-a-days.

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #33
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
From what I can tell, a couple of guys in this thread got replacement cars....

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438002

I'd talk to them. You'll be worried about the paint forever, re-done or not. For peace of mind do what it takes to get another car.
We've been in contact.
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #34
Richie Carbone

Drives: My work van for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
The swirls have nothing to do with GM.

Have you ever seen the detail operation at these dealers? They are stuck in a time warp and have teenage brainless wonders detailing and destroying the finish before you even take delivery.

I've corrected paint that has been hacked up by lot jockeys for high end exotic car dealers ($250k-$500k cars) These people don't get paid much, maybe $5-$7/hr. They are not highly skilled or trained.
Richie Carbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #35
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
I voted no with my main reason being that no human can replicate the uniformity of a factory paint finish. I have seen several videos and documentaries and learned that it is just not possible for a human to apply paint within the tolerances of a robot. The thickness of the factory paint is measured in microns and will be uniform over the entire car, with little or no variation.

That said, something went haywire during the process for your car. I really feel your pain, as I am terribly OCD when it comes to the paint on cars. If it were me, I would accept nothing short of a replacement, and would continue to escalate the issue as far up the GM chain of command as possible. If it came to it, and they steadfastly refused to make it right, then I would trade the car for another and take the hit.

I hope and pray that they will give you the replacement, as it is the right thing to do. On the other hand, I think you should not have driven the car. At this point you cannot undo that, but I would stop driving it now. The analogy is that you ordered a steak in a restaurant, ate it, and then complained that it was too well done and tried to get out of paying for it. Or you complained first, but then ate it anyway. What you really needed to do was not accept it. That's just a lecture and does you no good now, but to minimize your potential loss, I would stop driving it until the issue is resolved.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #36
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Carbone View Post

Have you ever seen the detail operation at these dealers? They are stuck in a time warp and have teenage brainless wonders detailing and destroying the finish before you even take delivery.

I've corrected paint that has been hacked up by lot jockeys for high end exotic car dealers ($250k-$500k cars) These people don't get paid much, maybe $5-$7/hr. They are not highly skilled or trained.
We are aware of this. We asked them to not touch the car the day we picked it up but when it showed up from being fueled it was covered in dime to quarter sized bright white water spots all over it. Judging from the hard axx cotton cloth we found left in the trunk the next day when we were taking pictures of all the paint defects it's a pretty safe bet that's what they were using to wipe the car down. My wife noted they should have just used a scotch brite pad. The swirls are the least of the issues.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:52 AM   #37
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
Unfortunately GM is not known for their award winning paint jobs, their enthusiasts are though. They are known for their great engineering. Shi÷ happens, then grass grows around it, and makes it pretty; ) They should be able to correct the (numerous) issues. If not then pursue a vehicle without issues. If the shoe was on the other foot I would want a chance to redeem myself, and I believe you would too. But sometimes you should get a fresh start. By correcting issues, I mean meets or exceeds OEM specifications. There's no such thing as perfection, there is only beautiful, and not so beautiful. Good luck!
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #38
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I had a 13 I didn't think the swirls were too bad, and the 16 I have is good. I've done a two-stage polish and then sealed it myself with a polymer so I really don't get swirls. So far so good.....
Good to hear hope it stays that way .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Carbone View Post

Yes and anytime I take my car to the dealer I tell them to not wash my car and give me a token for a touchless wash instead , I bet they use the same wash rag that they just used to scub down a 4x4 with mud everywhere ,
It is sad that this is acceptable by dealerships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netslave View Post
We are aware of this. We asked them to not touch the car the day we picked it up but when it showed up from being fueled it was covered in dime to quarter sized bright white water spots all over it. Judging from the hard axx cotton cloth we found left in the trunk the next day when we were taking pictures of all the paint defects it's a pretty safe bet that's what they were using to wipe the car down. My wife noted they should have just used a scotch brite pad. The swirls are the least of the issues.
Oh man sorry to hear , Hope they get it fixed for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedViking View Post
Unfortunately GM is not known for their award winning paint jobs, their enthusiasts are though. They are known for their great engineering. Shi÷ happens, then grass grows around it, and makes it pretty; ) They should be able to correct the (numerous) issues. If not then pursue a vehicle without issues. If the shoe was on the other foot I would want a chance to redeem myself, and I believe you would too. But sometimes you should get a fresh start. By correcting issues, I mean meets or exceeds OEM specifications. There's no such thing as perfection, there is only beautiful, and not so beautiful. Good luck!
Ha Award winning paint jobs
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #39
doc212121

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS White/White
Absolutely, I would actually prefer it as you will have the ability to get a much finer finish! (I have had to go through this once before) this is of course assuming you have a painter you trust and understands your expectations as mine did.
doc212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #40
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
that no human can replicate the uniformity of a factory paint finish. I have seen several videos and documentaries and learned that it is just not possible for a human to apply paint within the tolerances of a robot. The thickness of the factory paint is measured in microns and will be uniform over the entire car, with little or no variation.
This is totally false. Factory paint is FAR from good quality, except for some high end cars. A good painter can BLOW away most factory paint jobs, including uniformity. Robots due what they are programed to do, that doesn't always work on each car, case in point here. Saying that robot applied factory paint is superior to a pro at a top notch shop is quite comical actually.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #41
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
This is totally false. Factory paint is FAR from good quality, except for some high end cars. A good painter can BLOW away most factory paint jobs, including uniformity. Robots due what they are programed to do, that doesn't always work on each car, case in point here. Saying that robot applied factory paint is superior to a pro at a top notch shop is quite comical actually.
Thank god somebody else said it, many paint shops are MUCH better than anything at the factory.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #42
doc212121

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS White/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Yes thank you for some shred of sensibility.......robotic paint superiority is a hell of a laugh, all the top show cars in the country are painted by robots right!?
doc212121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro paint issue, general motors, gm customer service, gm paint issues, quality control