Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
What is the range on the fob? I never had a push button car before but, I thought I read somewhere that the fob has to be within a certain range of the car to open the door and to start the car.

If my car is in the attached garage and the key fob is just on the other side of the door, would the car be unlocked and able to start?

What happens if the fob is close enough to start the car and then you drop it and pull away... will the car still run?
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #30
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post
What is the range on the fob? I never had a push button car before but, I thought I read somewhere that the fob has to be within a certain range of the car to open the door and to start the car.

If my car is in the attached garage and the key fob is just on the other side of the door, would the car be unlocked and able to start?

What happens if the fob is close enough to start the car and then you drop it and pull away... will the car still run?
I have heard of it happening, some will run until you get out of range and some will run until you shut it off... Then your stuck I guess without a way to restart it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #31
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:

The range is pretty good after you start the car in a Nissan/Infinity. My dad walked around for 6-8 hours while the car (Infinity) idled in a parking lot without even realizing it and my Step-sister drove about 50 miles from her house to my fathers without the key after her husband started the car and she drove away (Nissan). It was awesome being trapped at my fathers house (blocked in) till they could get the key and then re-start/move her car.

I think I'm good with a key thanks.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #32
steveo9043

Hell, that makes me worry about theft or a friend jumping in the car and being able to take off if I am standing in the area with the fob in my pocket.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #33
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
I wish the camaro had push to start not for ignition but for this
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #34
Roll_the_Dice

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro 2LT
I love push button start...but it needs to be in the right place...either where the HUD controls are or on the steering wheel ...similar to Ferrari's. On the steering wheel to me would be the most convenient.

I have driven cars with push button start that I had to reach way up on the dash to start the car....Range Rover Evoque....would rather have a key in that vehicle.
2003 Audi A4 Convertible Silver Auto (sold)
1999 Ford F150 (sold)
2008 Porsche 911 Convertible Atlas Gray M6 (sold)
2007 Corvette Lemans Blue M6 (sold)
2004 BMW 645 ci Convertible Black Metallic (sold)
2000 Dodge Dakota sport Navy (sold)
1999 Porsche Boxster Black Metallic M5 (sold)
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Titanium F1 (sold)
1992 BMW 325i 2 door Alpine white (sold)
1990 Nissan 240SX Burgundy M6 (sold)
1979 Celica Blue M5 (sold)
1974 Mustang II Ghia Green (sold)
Roll_the_Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #35
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Hell, that makes me worry about theft or a friend jumping in the car and being able to take off if I am standing in the area with the fob in my pocket.
Maybe we need voice recognition approval codes....
"Computer, start car, code: Bird 123 alpha."
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #36
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
5th Gen should have had push button start....6th Gen should have push button start... 7th Gen.... 8th... 9...
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #37
steveo9043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Maybe we need voice recognition approval codes....
"Computer, start car, code: Bird 123 alpha."
Until you get a cold or lose your voice from yelling at the cubs... haha

They make fingerprint readers for laptops and door locks... that would be interesting for a push button start.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #38
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Until you get a cold or lose your voice from yelling at the cubs... haha

They make fingerprint readers for laptops and door locks... that would be interesting for a push button start.
Then carjackers would just cut your hand off.... Ewwww

Really they should only have like a 2 ft range and also have an alarm that chimes and a DIC message if you get more than 6 ft from the fob when the car is running and in gear.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #39
ATX211
Custom User Title

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

Depends. I would say typically you have to be within a few feet to open the doors with passive entry, and you can't start it unless you are in it. I am sure glitches have happened though. As far as it running without the key in it, I only have one experience with this. My Dad had a Mercedes, and asked me to follow him to drop it off to my Step Mom at the airport. She came out, put her stuff in the car, she went on her way and I went home with Dad...with the key. She drove it out to her friends house, and called me a few hours later and asked that I bring the key out to her because she was stuck.
ATX211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Corvettes only have a 3 foot range. A cruze will lock if you walk out of the range. Both will chime if the key walks away. My grandparents Mercedes will shut off.

The camaro should have had it and should have it in the future. It's a great system to have, Especially if your hands are already full, it's one less thing to reach for.

I also vote for door poppers on the next Camaro.
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #41
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
I'm probably one of the youngest guys here and am in the Tech field but I appreciate turning a key to start the engine (even though it is an auto crank). I have remote start but nothing beats turning over the engine. One of my girlfriends back in senior year of high school had a Versa that had push button start. Probably the first "cheap" car to come out with it and man that was a lot of fun hacking . Not that she wouldn't let me drive her car but I figured out a way to start it, move it and then confuse her why her car is in a different spot

I'm sure through the years technology has gotten better and a key sure isn't the most secure way to start a car but I still prefer the key.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #42
jlrtexas

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I like the push button start. My wifes charger rt only requires you to have the keyless entry fob on you. Everything from opening the doors,trunk,ignition is by touch. Very convenient to have.