Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #295
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
More understanding compared to what I would be after spending $60,000 on a Camaro with such a serious safety issue...... I would be just a little ticked off, to say the least....
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #296
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM ZL1 View Post
First of all, thank you to everyone for your support and concern. I stand behind the ZL1 in terms of its' high marks in crash-test ratings, walking away with just minor wounds. I didn't mean to ignite a firestorm of concern regarding the ZL1 in general. I am still planning to get behind the wheel of another ZL1 without reservation. As the situation is still an ongoing matter between GM, my insurance provider, and myself, I would prefer not to comment on the specifics until I know for sure what happened. I will say that I have no plans on pursuing legal action against GM. As a company, they have been extremely fair thus far.

I had no intention of making this situation public, and it is unfortunate that someone saw fit to post that video on YouTube. I'm still pursuing actions on getting the video removed. I don't feel there is need for widespread panic, and I still consider myself a 5th generation Camaro and ZL1 supporter and enthusiast.

As the situation reaches some sort of conclusion, I will keep everyone here posted. Thanks again.

Well said.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #297
Nemisis

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray Metallic-M6
Glad hes ok but that does scare the hell outta me. Youre behind the wheel of gm's most high tech powerful camaro ever and stuff like this happens. Really when you think about it, with all these electronic features it really makes you wonder. I love the car so far, I wish it had some more little gadgets like push button start but oh well.
Nemisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #298
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
Since it's a "mass produced" car, this isn't too reassuring about the quality of other parts on many other ZL1s riding the road as we type....
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #299
Rubble2240

Drives: 13 BRM ZL1
Glad Cam is ok! Serious concerns about vehicle quality need to be addressed to the board members
Rubble2240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #300
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
You just keep spouting off with no facts. You should be sued for slander.

CamZL1, I am very tankful you are ok and I will say a thank you prayer that you made it through this ok. I am also happy to see you post sensible posts.

When the facts are known and published then I will make judgement but unlike some I will not jump to conclusions.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #301
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
I have to say I am disappointed in the conclusions people jump to and post. This is a community to support each other. Having been in a serious car accident that was no fault of my own. Primary thing is he is ok.

I work for another manufacturer and all I can say is I hope gm does something spectacular for you. You truly are a deserving customer and I praise you for your positive remarks. Even though you are not sue happy like most you do deserve another vehicle at no cost for what you have been put through.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #302
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I don't think he needs to tell anyone there is potential issues with the steering that has been discussed already and if this is solely a steering failure issue gm will do the right thing. Just be aware that there is a possibility of the steering to fail and if it does don't panic maintain composer and safely drive it to the dealer or if you are more comfortable have it towed I personally would drive it as I don't want it to be damaged by a tow company
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #303
CurlyQ.Howard

Drives: RX7
Cam would be making a serious mistake to write up facts surrounding this incident and post them on the Internet.
CurlyQ.Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #304
AIminiS10

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 - #1564
Man, this dude just can't get a break at all with his ZL1. Sorry to hear about the accident Cam and glad you are ok. At least we know the safety ratings are true for the car!

Hopefully the issue didn't originate from all the troubleshooting the dealer did and replacement of his engine.

Again, glad to hear you are good dude.

2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 #1564
1969 Chevy Chevelle
2000 Honda CBR 929rr
2013 Focus ST (daily)
AIminiS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #305
ZL-Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
His steering problem is what makes me not feel comfortable with the whole electric steering technology, and just a possible fault in the technology. I can't believe all he went through with that car via this thread to have it all end in a crash. That's horrible luck with the car. But 1st model year and things like that are more liable to happen than ever. Hope everything works out for him.
ZL-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #306
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
So you will let everyone in here aware of a possible oil leak and other problems you may have had but when your "steering" goes out and causes you to total your car you don't feel that you should share it with everyone else even if the accident was in no way your fault? I'm sorry but that seems like your wanting to hide this for other reasons and since your not going to sue then why not talk about a problem much worse then the others you spoke about?
When the oil leak and other issues were being addressed I was getting feedback from the service department multiple times per day, with this situation I don't expect any definitive diagnostic results in the short term. As I said I didn't and still don't intend on setting every ZL1 owner into a panic about the reliability of their cars or the ZL1's in general. Given the extent of repair work undertaken on my ZL1 there are a myriad of possibilities that need to be examined. Once again, when information that is somewhat concrete is passed to me, I will pass it on here. Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #307
Pentatonic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Wow. Having your steering go out is an extremely dangerous situation. You could have easily been killed or killed someone else on the road.

Who's doing the root cause investigation?
Pentatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #308
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
If you have an electrical problem with your steering, all that will happen is that you lose the power assist. The rack and pinion steering is still inrtact as always.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, issue, oil leak, pcv, pos, problem, zl1