Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Too soon for a 6th gen????

Am I the only one who thinks it would be a mistake for Chevy to come out with a 6th gen any time soon with the 5th Gen still so hot? I know it is exciting to think & talk about and of course they are thinking ahead and planning for the next generation no matter what the plans are for it's release. But it seems like everyone is thinking it is a done deal that the 5th gen is going to end and 6th gen production begin soon. Really? Yeah, I know they are going to do whatever they are going to do no matter what we all think but still............. I thought "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" was a pretty sound business principal. It seems like a pretty big risk to me to bring out a huge body style change, no matter how hot it may end up being, when the current one is so popular, loved, iconic, and selling well???????????? Just sayin'
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I wouldn't worry about it showing up too soon. 2 things. GM has not announced when the sixth gen is coming. The only official word from them has been a 2015 or 2016 model year. Also, how long past GMs estimate did it take for the fifth gen to come out? I would lean more towards a 2016 model year release. If GM doesn't yet know when it will be ready, we shouldn't start worrying. Plus the sixth gen will be awesome.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Let's be honest. It's all contingent on the Mustang release timeframe.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
family man

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Let's be honest. It's all contingent on the Mustang release timeframe.
That's what I was going to post.

I think GM is waiting to see what the reaction is to the new Mustang and see how it sells. If the new Mustang sells well and starts cutting into the Camaro sales, GM will get the 6th gen out sooner than later.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I know I will be in the extreme minority here, but as good as the 5th gen is, IMO the design is starting to look old to me. Yeah the car has only been in production since 09 as 2010 Model. But the concept came out in 06 so I have seen this design for 7 years already. I cant wait to see what the 6th gen looks like. With the new mustang going away from retro I am very curious to see what GM does.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I'm hoping for evolutionary. Smaller, lighter, sleeker, more agile but still aggressive.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
fastfreddie
FreakyFast!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS S/C NicKey #55
I agree, Ruby. Look how long Ford kept this generation of the Mustang....very long. I don't think the 5th Gen Camaro has come close to running it's course especially with all the additional versions that have been released. Like you, I hope the 5th Gen stays around for longer than the reported rumors.

One thing I know they have to be addressing is the cafe' standards coming up. They really need a smaller, lighter Camaro to meet the standards, IMO. This might play more into the 6th Gen release than we would like.

I'm wondering to if they aren't waiting to see how the new Mustang is accepted. Reports are that it will be completely different and not really have a retro styling. If the community doesn't like it or accept the change, that will give GM some insight on what direction to go with the 6th Gen Camaro.

This is just my theory and worth what you paid for it. It will definately be interesting to watch the next couple of years in car designs all because of the cafe standards. Either way, I'm still going to enjoy my 5th Gen.

2010 2SS/RS #55 NicKey Stage 2S Super-Camaro custom painted by Pete (Mr. Showstopper)
Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250743
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
GM is actually delivering what we've wanted for years with the 6thgen. They are going to make it lighter and smaller on Alpha, which is going to be a shared, less expensive platform. Zeta is a great platform, but Alpha will allow GM to save on production costs because the ATS is also on that platform. Alpha has been designed from the ground up for RWD and various engine packages, giving GM limitless flexibility for power.

Of course, the real concern is appearance, since the 5thgen is downright sexy. I have a lot of faith in the GM design team and expect them to evolve this car more than they change it. I would expect the Camaro to be very familiar with the 6thgen with appropriate upgrades and design changes.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
The only place I see a 6th gen being pushed for is here on this site. There is pretty much no news from GM on specifics at this point. I don't know why this is becoming such a big deal. People run out of 5th gen stuff to talk about?
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #10

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it would be a mistake for Chevy to come out with a 6th gen any time soon with the 5th Gen still so hot? I know it is exciting to think & talk about and of course they are thinking ahead and planning for the next generation no matter what the plans are for it's release. But it seems like everyone is thinking it is a done deal that the 5th gen is going to end and 6th gen production begin soon. Really? Yeah, I know they are going to do whatever they are going to do no matter what we all think but still............. I thought "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" was a pretty sound business principal. It seems like a pretty big risk to me to bring out a huge body style change, no matter how hot it may end up being, when the current one is so popular, loved, iconic, and selling well???????????? Just sayin'
I don't think it's a mistake to come out with a 6th Gen whenever they do it...sooner or later...It's fun to anticipate, guess, speculate, etc., but in the end whatever I think about it is totally insignificant...lol...

Market conditions, manufacturing, regulations, and all the rest are issues that are out of my realm of expertise...lol...For lack of a better term, I really don't care what happens...just gonna enjoy my fifth gen and call it a day....If I get all worked up and concerned about the 6th gen, it inevitably boils down to the fact that we're all mushrooms...(kept in the dark, and fed bs)...lol....no worries...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
I agree, Ruby. Look how long Ford kept this generation of the Mustang....very long. I don't think the 5th Gen Camaro has come close to running it's course especially with all the additional versions that have been released. Like you, I hope the 5th Gen stays around for longer than the reported rumors.

I agree this gen Mustang has been around for quite a while, but there have been 3 refreshes of the design and some major changes to the car over that time.

05-09 was the old v-6 and 4.6 3V.

2010 Brought out the face lift where all the sheet metal is new,
2011-2012 brought the new 5.0 and v-6 engines
2013 brought yet another face lift and redesign of the rearend.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
Ambitious09

Drives: 07 Cobalt LT/2008 Ram SXT
It's still a sexy car and it's still selling. Don't see why they would jump the gun on a completely new model when we don't even know what the next Mustang looks like or how people accept it.
Ambitious09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Time marches on, you can't rest on your laurels or the compettition will pass you by.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
The sales trend from the monthly sales figures threads shows the Camaro has been on a downward slope (GRADUAL... but still downward) for a little while now. Like others said, the design is old... it's been out since 2006. Plus we've all been wanting a lighter Camaro, the Alpha platform will deliver that.

For those that think the 6th gen is only being pushed on here, there's ************* which is a rip off site all about the 6th gen. Calling it a rip off site because they originally came out as "Camaro6" on facebook and then, presumably, either Camaro5 got on them about it or they realized Camaro6.com was already unavailable so they added the "g" in. Then when their forum came up they went around to other sites grabbing threads off there... Just like they have a 2016 6th Gen Wish List similar to what's posted here.

That said - honestly I think the community on here is quite sheltered to what the rest of the public wants. On here, the 5th gen is the best thing since sliced bread. Out in the public it's not always the same feelings. I love the 5th gen because it's the first car I've ever been able to follow from leaked clay models to production but let's face it - there's a lot of things to not like about the 5th gen ... from the high belt line, the weight, blind spots, no t-tops, tiny porthole windows, etc. Again, I love my 5th gen even though I'm thinking about selling it, but I'm really excited to see what the 6th gen will have to offer.

Lastly -- Don't get down about the 5th gen being old, the Camaro team still has a few tricks up their sleeves.

Edit: LMAO Really???? "*************" is censored? Trying to control your membership, much? Ironic I post about the community here being sheltered and then post only to find out "other" Camaro websites are censored from even being posted...

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote