Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-25-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
Hand polishing

When using a polish that is designed to be used by hand such as Blackfire's gloss enhancing polish or Adam's Revive polish, do you need to strip the wax and clay bar or can you use it after a washing only?
Old 09-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
You are wasting your money and time polishing by hand, period.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Jackpot

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
I would strip any wax or sealants , and clay only if needed do baggy test if unsure.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
I would strip any wax or sealants , and clay only if needed do baggy test if unsure.
+1.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Yes, you should remove any sealants, or wax that is on the area your working on.

I have not used the 2 brands you mentioned. Car Pro Fixer has worked well for me using a foam wax applicator for areas a machine can't reach.

http://www.carpro-us.com/carpro-poli...-polish-250ml/

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Like mentioned do the baggie test to see if you need to clay, if so clay first.
Revive Polish is a hand polish & paint cleaner.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
I use all Blackfire products and yes you should remove the old wax for best results. I disagree with anyone saying waxing by hand is a waste of time. The results speak for themselves but far more important when using a buffer it seemed like work to me, when polishing by hand it became a zen thing, took my time and enjoyed the process and the day. Take breaks, relax and get a bond with your car!
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I use all Blackfire products and yes you should remove the old wax for best results. I disagree with anyone saying waxing by hand is a waste of time. The results speak for themselves but far more important when using a buffer it seemed like work to me, when polishing by hand it became a zen thing, took my time and enjoyed the process and the day. Take breaks, relax and get a bond with your car!
I think we are talking about two different things here. WAXING by hand is completely okay, paint correcting/finish polishing by hand is basically pointless.
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Jackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
I think we are talking about two different things here. WAXING by hand is completely okay, paint correcting/finish polishing by hand is basically pointless.
What is pointless, if its the extra time maybe but hand polishing for light correction and finish polishing will make a difference.at a minimum it will help clean the paint as a prep for new wax.

Last edited by Jackpot; 09-28-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
I may be talking way out of school here, but to remove those pesky spiderweb thin swirls that appear on dark paint when viewed from an angle in the sun....usually from incorrect washing techniques...don't you need a bit of heat usually generated from the buffer that cannot be reproduced by hand? I am speaking about the "fix" not the blend or cover-up with crystal energy. Thus not talking waxing but polishing.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
SilverSS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS A8
i use nothing but adams on all of my vehicles and i can tell you the product speaks for itself. if hand waxing/polishing shows no enhancment of your paint then you are using a bad product. on very bad looking paint then machine polishing is a must, but for up keep and paint maintence hand polishing works wonders. just like JMT said its a zen thing, enjoy the day and enjoy what youve spent a lot of money on taking care of it and it will show
Old 09-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #12
Jackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
I may be talking way out of school here, but to remove those pesky spiderweb thin swirls that appear on dark paint when viewed from an angle in the sun....usually from incorrect washing techniques...don't you need a bit of heat usually generated from the buffer that cannot be reproduced by hand? I am speaking about the "fix" not the blend or cover-up with crystal energy. Thus not talking waxing but polishing.
there are abrasives in the polish that cut the paint that's how you have different cuts of compound and polish some are more aggressive.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
there are abrasives in the polish that cut the paint that's how you have different cuts of compound and polish some are more aggressive.
So to remove by hand do you need something that may be more abrasive or do you just need to apply more elbow grease?

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #14
Jackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
So to remove by hand do you need something that may be more abrasive or do you just need to apply more elbow grease?
depends on what your trying to accomplish, but i would let the pad and polish do the brunt of the work.