Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Travel Detail Kit

Up until recently I always carried some detail spray and a microfiber towel in the back seat of my car for "just in case" situations. Unfortunately with the spray bottle rolling around in the back seat some of it leaked out onto the seat and made a mess. I never liked having stuff like that lose in the cabin with me so I decided it was time to put together a small detail travel kit that I could stow in the back seat or in the trunk for emergencies. (bird crap, dirty windows, etc) With this I could keep small amounts of my go to detailing products and a few other things that were taking up space in the center console compartment and organize them into a neat all in one kit.

I ended up deciding on a "Pocket Organizer" from a company called Maxpediton, makers of outdoor gear. Now while it wasn't what I would call expensive there are alternatives to this for much less. Travel bathroom organizers or other such containers would work equally well for half the price or less. I decided on this one because it has lots of elastic loops and pockets inside and a mesh pocket outside to store lots of stuff. It folds open like a book so you have easy access to everything and it came in black so it could blend into my interior or trunk.

The bag is far to small to carry any full size containers of detailing chemicals so I started looking for sprayers or small size dispensers and came across a company that sells them on Amazon called U.S. Plastics Corp. They also have their own website but it was easier to just order everything through Amazon all at once. I overestimated the room I had in the organizer I purchased and started out with some of their 8 oz fingertip sprayers and then quickly realized that the 2 oz bottles would be much better for what I had in mind. I even found some logos online and printed them out and used some clear packing tape to identify what was in each bottle.

I think I went over kill in the amount of stuff I have there since I think you probably only really need a glass cleaner, an APC, detail spray and possibly a waterless wash solution. I also added the stuff from my center console and everything fits nice and neat. The pictures don't really show everything in detail so here are the contents I was able to fit into the bag:

2 oz Adams Detail Spray
2 oz Adams Total Interior Detailer
2 oz Meguiar's D120 Glass Cleaner
2 oz Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer (for 1LE matte hood wrap)
2 oz Gtechniq W2 Multipurpose Cleaner
2 oz Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant
2 oz Chemical Guys Black Light Glaze
8 oz Optimum No Rinse (as Waterless Wash spray/etc)
Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
Streamlight AAA flashlight
Detailing brush
Stanley Pocket Screwdriver
Random Ballpoint Ink Pen
Leatherman Multitool

I have some Microfibers in the car inside a ziplock but I could easily removed say the Blackfire Sealant and the Chemical Guys Glaze and be able to roll up one or two small detailing towels and fit them in there. The organizer also has external mesh pockets that you could stuff some things into.

One heads up with the spray bottles I purchased they are very inexpensive and they all work just fine but they are hardly leak proof. I think they were all designed to sit upright on a flat surface and so some of them leak a little bit around threads where the sprayer attaches. I think some plumbers tape will solve that issue though.

A shout out to CamaroDreams07 since most of the stuff I have is directly from your Comprehensive Product Recommendation Guide.

And of course some pictures to help get some idea of how it turned out.

And links to the various items on Amazon.com that I used to put this together.

Maxpedition Gear Beefy Pocket Organizer

2 oz Finger Tip Mist Cylinder Applicator Bottles

2 oz. Cylinder Bottle with White Flip-top Cap

8 oz Finger Tip Mist Cylinder Applicator Bottles
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Incredibly meticulous and organized. I like it very much.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
That's a great idea. I love the pouch.

I carry a small tool box with several micro-fiber towels. I also carry Meguiars detail spray and waterless wash. I also carry Armor All interior wipes for minor cabin clean ups. These items have handled any road detailing issues that have come up.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
To each their own, seems a bit overkill.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
Up until recently I always carried some detail spray and a microfiber towel in the back seat of my car for "just in case" situations. Unfortunately with the spray bottle rolling around in the back seat some of it leaked out onto the seat and made a mess. I never liked having stuff like that lose in the cabin with me so I decided it was time to put together a small detail travel kit that I could stow in the back seat or in the trunk for emergencies. (bird crap, dirty windows, etc) With this I could keep small amounts of my go to detailing products and a few other things that were taking up space in the center console compartment and organize them into a neat all in one kit.

I ended up deciding on a "Pocket Organizer" from a company called Maxpediton, makers of outdoor gear. Now while it wasn't what I would call expensive there are alternatives to this for much less. Travel bathroom organizers or other such containers would work equally well for half the price or less. I decided on this one because it has lots of elastic loops and pockets inside and a mesh pocket outside to store lots of stuff. It folds open like a book so you have easy access to everything and it came in black so it could blend into my interior or trunk.

The bag is far to small to carry any full size containers of detailing chemicals so I started looking for sprayers or small size dispensers and came across a company that sells them on Amazon called U.S. Plastics Corp. They also have their own website but it was easier to just order everything through Amazon all at once. I overestimated the room I had in the organizer I purchased and started out with some of their 8 oz fingertip sprayers and then quickly realized that the 2 oz bottles would be much better for what I had in mind. I even found some logos online and printed them out and used some clear packing tape to identify what was in each bottle.

I think I went over kill in the amount of stuff I have there since I think you probably only really need a glass cleaner, an APC, detail spray and possibly a waterless wash solution. I also added the stuff from my center console and everything fits nice and neat. The pictures don't really show everything in detail so here are the contents I was able to fit into the bag:

2 oz Adams Detail Spray
2 oz Adams Total Interior Detailer
2 oz Meguiar's D120 Glass Cleaner
2 oz Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer (for 1LE matte hood wrap)
2 oz Gtechniq W2 Multipurpose Cleaner
2 oz Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant
2 oz Chemical Guys Black Light Glaze
8 oz Optimum No Rinse (as Waterless Wash spray/etc)
Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
Streamlight AAA flashlight
Detailing brush
Stanley Pocket Screwdriver
Random Ballpoint Ink Pen
Leatherman Multitool

I have some Microfibers in the car inside a ziplock but I could easily removed say the Blackfire Sealant and the Chemical Guys Glaze and be able to roll up one or two small detailing towels and fit them in there. The organizer also has external mesh pockets that you could stuff some things into.

One heads up with the spray bottles I purchased they are very inexpensive and they all work just fine but they are hardly leak proof. I think they were all designed to sit upright on a flat surface and so some of them leak a little bit around threads where the sprayer attaches. I think some plumbers tape will solve that issue though.

A shout out to CamaroDreams07 since most of the stuff I have is directly from your Comprehensive Product Recommendation Guide.

And of course some pictures to help get some idea of how it turned out.

And links to the various items on Amazon.com that I used to put this together.

Maxpedition Gear Beefy Pocket Organizer

2 oz Finger Tip Mist Cylinder Applicator Bottles

2 oz. Cylinder Bottle with White Flip-top Cap

8 oz Finger Tip Mist Cylinder Applicator Bottles

Love it. Where do you keep your towels?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
I also think its a great travel kit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote