Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-23-2023, 08:13 PM   #1
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
The hidden "key" in your LT1 keyfob

4 years after I bought my 2020 LT! I startet getting a warning that my keyfob battery was low and needed to be replaced. Since I got 2 keyfobs when I bought I started using the backup copy but then I started getting the same warning with it too.

So around 4 years battery life with this keyfob.

Looking at it I had no idea how to get to the battery. No screws. Then I pushed a metal button right by the keychain loop and a "key" like my 2012 Camaro slid out.

Then I used it to pry to the two halves of the keyfob case apart. That was pretty easy. Makes me wonder if I should use some kind of adhesive to keep it from falling apart.

Anyway if you can't tell from the picture the battery is a Panasonic brand 3 volt battery with "CR 2032" on it which I hope will make buying the replacement easy to do.

That's also the positive side of the battery with the negative side facing the circuit board with the buttons on it.
Attached Images

Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:27 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
4 years after I bought my 2020 LT! I startet getting a warning that my keyfob battery was low and needed to be replaced. Since I got 2 keyfobs when I bought I started using the backup copy but then I started getting the same warning with it too.

So around 4 years battery life with this keyfob.

Looking at it I had no idea how to get to the battery. No screws. Then I pushed a metal button right by the keychain loop and a "key" like my 2012 Camaro slid out.

Then I used it to pry to the two halves of the keyfob case apart. That was pretty easy. Makes me wonder if I should use some kind of adhesive to keep it from falling apart.

Anyway if you can't tell from the picture the battery is a Panasonic brand 3 volt battery with "CR 2032" on it which I hope will make buying the replacement easy to do.

That's also the positive side of the battery with the negative side facing the circuit board with the buttons on it.
CR2032 is pretty much the universal Keyfob battery... I bought a pack of 12 Duracells to keep on hand for all my Keyfobs...

You should probably read up on the "hidden key" cuz you're gonna need it if your Keyfob or car battery goes dead... You'll need to know how to pop the cover off the drivers side door handle and use the key to get in and then know to place the fob in the rear cupholder to get the car started (Pages 14-20 in your owners manual)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 11:50 PM   #3
Red Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
You should probably read up on the "hidden key" cuz you're gonna need it if your Keyfob or car battery goes dead... You'll need to know how to pop the cover off the drivers side door handle and use the key to get in and then know to place the fob in the rear cupholder to get the car started (Pages 14-20 in your owners manual)
Nah I won't be doing any of that.

I learned a long time ago to plan ahead and keep family close by in case I need a ride home. As flimsy as the door handles are on this car I'm not going to be out there pretending to be Mr. 1970s Mechanic Guy and wind up tearing it up instead.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:40 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
Nah I won't be doing any of that.

I learned a long time ago to plan ahead and keep family close by in case I need a ride home. As flimsy as the door handles are on this car I'm not going to be out there pretending to be Mr. 1970s Mechanic Guy and wind up tearing it up instead.
If the battery in the car goes completely dead, the only way in is to pop the cover from behind the driver's door handle and use that "hidden key." If you don't do it, you'll be paying a "locksmith" a few hundred dollars to show up and do it for you. And I promise you that those folks will be nowhere near as careful with your paint as you will.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 12:07 PM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
CR2032 is pretty much the universal Keyfob battery... I bought a pack of 12 Duracells to keep on hand for all my Keyfobs...
yes, plus other devices.
I think 99% of the world's CR2032's are in a warehouse in Brooklyn. Every time I order a strip of these from ebay they seem to ship from Brooklyn.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 12:14 PM   #6
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
I was disappointed indeed when the battery in one fob, on rather zero (0) notice, went dead enough to prohibit me from opening the doors. (This, in a situation away from home where TLDR I had no backup.)

Luckily, I vaguely recalled having read about the physical key on some other thread on here, and I went about prying off the keyhole cover.

Red Chief, I understand your reluctance to possibly ruin the appearance of a part of the car that your eyes would fall upon almost literally every time you enter it. In the event, I was shocked, shocked I say, to find that the cover came off without excessive resistance -- even though this HAD to have been the first time it was ever done -- and, also having been extremely careful, suffered no ill effects.

Car nevertheless started, and I got home, and bought a 2-pack of the CR2032's shortly therafter.
'94 ST1100 146K

Last edited by The Chief (tm); 12-24-2023 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Happy ending
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
any one even bother to read the owners manual any more. Guy locked himself inside his corvette and the battery went dead and he had no idea how to get out. Better read it because there is a way to start the car if the FOB goes dead.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #8
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
any one even bother to read the owners manual any more. Guy locked himself inside his corvette and the battery went dead and he had no idea how to get out. Better read it because there is a way to start the car if the FOB goes dead.
I read that thing front to back when I got the car.

I definitely don't remember every part of it.. there's more then a couple pages in it. Like, I can't for the life of me remember if I can charge the battery through the connections on the front or if I gotta attach it right to the battery..

Funny I was going to bust out the manual for that and so I did have the key thing sorted out, just in case I end up with a dead battery in either the car or the FOB.
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 03:40 PM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I had to replace the batteries in both of my key fobs earlier this year because they were weak and hard to unlock the doors.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:06 PM   #10
Judy1le

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Fun fact for all. When I went to replace my battery in my key fob, I used a duracell battery and couldnt get to them to work. Turns out that most manufacturers put the bitterant on the batteries to stop ingestion of them and it messes with the connections between the device and new batteries. To get them to work, I had to wipe down with a damp cloth and dry and then the batteries would work.
Judy1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 09:15 PM   #11
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink1 View Post
I read that thing front to back when I got the car.

I definitely don't remember every part of it.. there's more then a couple pages in it. Like, I can't for the life of me remember if I can charge the battery through the connections on the front or if I gotta attach it right to the battery..

Funny I was going to bust out the manual for that and so I did have the key thing sorted out, just in case I end up with a dead battery in either the car or the FOB.
Starting the Vehicle with a Low Transmitter Battery

If the transmitter battery is weak or if there is interference with the signal, the DIC may display NO REMOTE DETECTED or NO REMOTE KEY WAS DETECTED PLACE KEY IN TRANSMITTER POCKET THEN START YOUR VEHICLE. See Key and Lock Messages 0 135.
Place the transmitter in the rear cupholder in the center console.
2. With the vehicle in P (Park) or N (Neutral), press the brake pedal and ENGINE START/STOP.
Replace the transmitter battery as soon as possible.
Battery Replacement
The battery is not rechargeable. To replace the battery:
2. Separate the two halves of the transmitter using a flat tool inserted into the area near the key slot.
3. Remove the battery by pushing on the battery and sliding it toward the bottom of the transmitter.
4. Insert the new battery, positive side facing the back cover. Push the battery down until it is held in place. Replace with a CR2032 or equivalent battery.
5. Snap the battery cover back on to the transmitter.
Remote Vehicle Start
If equipped, this feature allows the engine to be started from outside the vehicle.
/ : This button will be on the RKE transmitter if equipped with remote start.

The climate control system will use the previous settings during a remote start. The rear window defogger and heated seats,
if equipped, may also come on. See “Remote Start Auto Heated Seats” under Heated and Ventilated Front Seats 0 57 and Vehicle Personalization 0 140.
1. Press the button on the side of the transmitter and pull the key out.

There is a lot of good information in the owners manual including how to reprogram key FOBS. It shocks me someone doesn't know they have a key in the key FOB and how to open a door and or start the car without the FOB working.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 11:45 PM   #12
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
There is a lot of good information in the owners manual including how to reprogram key FOBS. It shocks me someone doesn't know they have a key in the key FOB and how to open a door and or start the car without the FOB working.
It's all very good information to know, for sure!
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 03:03 AM   #13
Red Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
If the battery in the car goes completely dead, the only way in is to pop the cover from behind the driver's door handle and use that "hidden key." If you don't do it, you'll be paying a "locksmith" a few hundred dollars to show up and do it for you. And I promise you that those folks will be nowhere near as careful with your paint as you will.
No I'm pretty sure before I started popping parts off my car like some try-hard buffoon, I'd open the "app" and try to see if it can remote start and unlock the car.

Better to try to isolate the problem before you go breaking into your own vehicle only to find out the battery was fine and it was just a defective FOB.
Old 12-25-2023, 10:24 AM   #14
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
It's good preventive maintenance to just replace the battery about every ~2 years in your fobs. Keeps them hot and ready for when you need them.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote